Just how far off are the Bills from being a playoff contender?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they're pretty far away honestly, probably realistically 2-3 years. The last regime did them no favors in building the roster.

This is precisely why I think the Bills pretty much need to turn a blind eye to "need" and take the best player available for the next couple of years. Load up on guys you think will just be outstanding football players, and then in a couple of years, start filling in holes again. Yes, we have needs, but we also need a core. If they love Spiller, take him.

Depends. Lets see what they have when the season starts. I'm expecting that they should get nine or possibly more wins, although I have not been impressed with any of the personnel moves or the decision to go 3-4 given our existing defensive personnel.

Tennessee Boy, I consider myself to be a pretty smart dude, but whenever I read that quote you have up there I am at a complete loss. What the hell is it supposed to mean?

Good insightful article, though it pained me to have to relive the memories over the last 4 years of how many close games that could have went in our favor. Glad Jauron is gone, after reading how many errors, bad judgments, mistakes, blunders (you can throw them all in there for Dickie), it's surprising that the Bills went 7-9 (3x) & 6-10. I agree with the author, that the Bills could have made the playoffs over the past 4 years if we had a decent coaching staff in here. Jauron is a secondary coach, nothing more. Levy hiring Jauron was a huge blunder on his part and the Bills organization.

Good insightful article, though it pained me to have to relive the memories over the last 4 years of how many close games that could have went in our favor. Glad Jauron is gone, after reading how many errors, bad judgments, mistakes, blunders (you can throw them all in there for Dickie), it's surprising that the Bills went 7-9 (3x) & 6-10. I agree with the author, that the Bills could have made the playoffs over the past 4 years if we had a decent coaching staff in here. Jauron is a secondary coach, nothing more. Levy hiring Jauron was a huge blunder on his part and the Bills organization.

You thought that was good and insightful? Man, I disagree.

Bits and pieces were good (the TVs in the locker room), but he was absolutely determined to blame every single thing on Jauron, whether it was reasonable or not, and to figure that if we just correct only one play in each game we lost, it would've been a win, forgetting all the games that we won by only one play, where if you correct one play we lose. Didn't make sense at all.

He thinks we're close to being a playoff team? One question, then, how many impact players are on this team? Lee Evans? Byrd? I'm scraping bottom here. Last year you could have counted Schobel, but he won't be playing the same position even if he comes back. Freddy Jackson is good, but he doesn't turn plays and games around by himself. The year before - he was playing injured last year - maybe Stroud, but again, he's switching position. Two guys ... any others? I don't see it. Guys who have two impact players, one of whom is a WR and can't get the ball enough to make a difference without a decent QB, and the other of whom is a safety ... and you think we're close? Seriously?

And then he said we were close with no real examination of personnel needs whatsover. Lousy article, I thought. A guy with an opiinion ignoring all evidence that disagreed and desperate to shoehorn even things that just didn't fit his worldview into his argument.

How far? Three years. Two if they do an absolutely sensational job of drafting the next two years, making every single pick count. And humans not being perfect, how likely is that?

They beat multiple playoff teams last year and were very competitive with the SB Champs, so realistically not that far away at all from the playoffs. From being a SB contender they are quite far if they do not get a QB more than anything. Plain and simple, they need much better QB play than they have gotten.

You thought that was good and insightful? Man, I disagree.

Bits and pieces were good (the TVs in the locker room), but he was absolutely determined to blame every single thing on Jauron, whether it was reasonable or not, and to figure that if we just correct only one play in each game we lost, it would've been a win, forgetting all the games that we won by only one play, where if you correct one play we lose. Didn't make sense at all.

He thinks we're close to being a playoff team? One question, then, how many impact players are on this team? Lee Evans? Byrd? I'm scraping bottom here. Last year you could have counted Schobel, but he won't be playing the same position even if he comes back. Freddy Jackson is good, but he doesn't turn plays and games around by himself. The year before - he was playing injured last year - maybe Stroud, but again, he's switching position. Two guys ... any others? I don't see it. Guys who have two impact players, one of whom is a WR and can't get the ball enough to make a difference without a decent QB, and the other of whom is a safety ... and you think we're close? Seriously?

And then he said we were close with no real examination of personnel needs whatsover. Lousy article, I thought. A guy with an opiinion ignoring all evidence that disagreed and desperate to shoehorn even things that just didn't fit his worldview into his argument.

How far? Three years. Two if they do an absolutely sensational job of drafting the next two years, making every single pick count. And humans not being perfect, how likely is that?

I agree with you about the article. I've never put any stock into that source, personally. I do think with a different coaching staff (even the Wade Phillips coaching staff) Buffalo would've made the playoffs at least 5 of the last 10 years. I think psyche and mentality are underrated. The Bills have become a team that doesn't know how to win. How to seal the deal. They need confidence and arrogance (which is why I like Rex Ryan, and why the Jets were so successful last year). I don't think they're that many players from being a playoff contender - which is different than a Super Bowl favorite. I think, with good coaching and a draft that gives us a couple immediate starters, the team could be playoff ready next year.