How are you planing for retirement?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half a mil ain't getting you far.

Depends who. My mom retired with about 150K and rental income. Then again, my mother supported 4 kids on a 20K salary, half of that as a widow.

Now we take care of her :wallbash:

I never recommend target date or life cycle funds because the fund company chooses the equity to bond mix which does not take in to account the investors risk tolerance. So you want to retire in 25 years but you're a very aggressive or conservative investor the portfolio is not necessarily going to reflect that. And sure asset allocation is probably the most important tool for reaching your retirement goal but what's also very important is saving the right amount and dollar cost averaging.

So Chef Jim, where would you park/invest large amounts of cash for safe keeping but yet earning some money as well?

I'm counting on the 'American Retirement Act' that is sure to be a centerpiece of Obama's second term. Now that we've got free healthcare, no reason we can't have free retirement! B-)

I thought you'd get a kick out of this video.

It's for the ObamaPad. For those who can't afford the Ipad. I was going to stick in the Ipad thread in OT, but that likely would have sent that thread over here, which would be unfortunate.

If you like that video, you'll enjoy his Day 1 Video Blog Obama Pad review here.

So Chef Jim, where would you park/invest large amounts of cash for safe keeping but yet earning some money as well?

Which of those in bold do you want me to answer first? B-)

Not among buddies.

I'm not sure you fit in to that list.

I'm counting on the 'American Retirement Act' that is sure to be a centerpiece of Obama's second term. Now that we've got free healthcare, no reason we can't have free retirement! B-)

That's agist and will not be popular with the BO PotTart crowd.

Much better to have the American Fan Act whereby everyone gets seasons tickets to the team of their choice.

Of course, in keeping with the fact that most of the "stimulus" money was porked over to the Obamanation districts, and the fantastic new 'health care' bill, the following is likely to be part of that law: If you vote for Democrats - you get seasons tickets. If you vote for someone else - you don't get the tickets, you just get to pay for everybody else's.

There are some pretty sharp people here and I wonder how you are planing your retirement. I have very little in IRA's, I put all my extra money in rental property [Wonderful tax benefits, by the way.]

Background-53, figure 15 years to go.

1. Work your ass off and save as much as you can.

2. Get debt free.

3. Figure out how to be happy on less money.

4. Invest wisely which usually means leaning heavily on outside advice.