How are you planing for retirement?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Work your ass off and save as much as you can.

2. Get debt free.

3. Figure out how to be happy on less money.

4. Invest wisely which usually means leaning heavily on outside advice.

The "American mentality" in all socio-economic classes fails all four of your points.

1. People don't want to work, even less get dirty doing something. They wanna be boss, everything else is beneath them. See #2 below.

2. :unsure:

3. :D:P See #2 above.

4. Take a trip to Vegas on the neighbor's recommendation. Get your parents to act as day care and pick up the cell phone tab.

The "American mentality" in all socio-economic classes fails all four of your points.

1. People don't want to work, even less get dirty doing something. They wanna be boss, everything else is beneath them. See #2 below.

2. :doh:

3. :thumbsup::lol: See #2 above.

4. Take a trip to Vegas on the neighbor's recommendation. Get your parents to act as day care and pick up the cell phone tab.

Your number 1 might be correct in your public sector existence. That hasn't been my experience. Certainly we have lazy folks in our country, but I find the producers to be hard working.

Your number 1 might be correct in your public sector existence. That hasn't been my experience. Certainly we have lazy folks in our country, but I find the producers to be hard working.

That's why I love what I do, the harder you work the more you make. Something about having your income tied directly to how hard you work. Weeds out the lazy !@#$s.

That's why I love what I do, the harder you work the more you make. Something about having your income tied directly to how hard you work. Weeds out the lazy !@#$s.

Compared to where I worked. Used to be the better philosophy but we merged with a bank.

Now bonuses cut in half, no more OT, but plenty of benefits I'll never use.

Compared to where I worked. Used to be the better philosophy but we merged with a bank.

Now bonuses cut in half, no more OT, but plenty of benefits I'll never use.

OT....OT.....OT....?? Nope sorry I don't know what that is.

You know between 25 in the restaurant biz and nearly 10 in financial services I don't think I've ever been paid overtime.

You know between 25 in the restaurant biz and nearly 10 in financial services I don't think I've ever been paid overtime.

Right, but your job in the financial services industry is tied to your performance. For me that was OT and a nice bonus.

You expect a guy who thinks money from the rich should be taken away and given to everyone else to make things "equal and fair" has any idea what the hell you're talking about? :doh:

In Eric's world, why have your income tied directly to your work if you can sit on your ass for freebies?

2. :doh:

3. :thumbsup::lol: See #2 above.

I think you are mixing the "EII mentality" with the "American mentality".

I get paid overtime now (if it's billable). Frankly, my preference would be straight salary regardless of hours, plus a performance based bonus annually. Getting paid by the clock is something I find very demotivating.

Of course, performance-based bonuses are evil; they gouge the American consumer... :doh:

I get paid overtime now (if it's billable). Frankly, my preference would be straight salary regardless of hours, plus a performance based bonus annually. Getting paid by the clock is something I find very demotivating.

Of course, performance-based bonuses are evil; they gouge the American consumer... :doh:

Bonuses are great when they are not capped. For example, I used to get a percentage that was very negotiable.

Now, working for a bank, it's actually a fixed dollar amount based on the level and signority. Besides the obvious reason of wanting to be recognized and promoted, the incentive is reduced.

Not saying it is... But in those (the ones you mentioned) industries, "comp" time is sorta built in. No? Like my wife where she works, salaried there is no OT. It just "goes around."

Certain industries where you actually have to be at a site, per a schedule 24/7/365... Now your chef job was kinda like that... Would they stay open 24/7/365? OT is the norm in those industries? If nobody comes into relieve me, I have to stay until somebody does... Then on top of it work my upcoming shift. There is no way they can work comp time into what I do... And I tried so hard to get that changed through the years! Then there is the thing about being hourly (wage grade) and NOT a GS employee. Even when the gov't sends non-essential people home early like on Christmas, I gotta stay. The only time I can leave is when I physically see my relief. :doh:

The only time there has been less then two guys at the site since 1960 was the summer after 911... When the we (same with the USCG) got a bomb threat. :lol:

Even if I pulled a "Big Ben" or an OJ and the local police came to haul me away, they couldn't... Until somebody came in to relieve me... Then I would be stuffed and cuffed! :lol: One time years ago (before me), the old boss kept the police at bay (federal property) becasuse he didn't want to pay OT... Told the cops: "He wasn't here". :lol::thumbsup: After the worker in question got off his shift the boss told him: "You better straighten this out!"

I think you are mixing the "EII mentality" with the "American mentality".

No. I see it everyday in how little private industry tries to get buy with... From a safety stand point, it is just plan hazardous to me (public sector) and them (private industry)... It doesn't matter to private indusrty... Their managers are miles away... They don't care (well they sorta do) if somebody gets hurt... It falls on us. Sad that we have to be baby-sitters.

I had one job that paid OT, years ago working for a furniture rental company. There was no cap on the hours you could put in, so when the place closed I'd take the truck out and do repos on bad accounts. This was bolstered by minimal bonuses you could get by collecting furniture already written off as bad debt. It was awesome. While it lasted.

Not saying it is... But in those (the ones you mentioned) industries, "comp" time is sorta built in. No? Like my wife where she works, salaried there is no OT. It just "goes around."

Certain industries where you actually have to be at a site, per a schedule 24/7/365... Now your chef job was kinda like that... Would they stay open 24/7/365? OT is the norm in those industries? If nobody comes into relieve me, I have to stay until somebody does... Then on top of it work my upcoming shift. There is no way they can work comp time into what I do... And I tried so hard to get that changed through the years! Then there is the thing about being hourly (wage grade) and NOT a GS employee. Even when the gov't sends non-essential people home early like on Christmas, I gotta stay. The only time I can leave is when I physically see my relief. :doh:

The only time there has been less then two guys at the site since 1960 was the summer after 911... When the we (same with the USCG) got a bomb threat. :lol:

Even if I pulled a "Big Ben" or an OJ and the local police came to haul me away, they couldn't... Until somebody came in to relieve me... Then I would be stuffed and cuffed! :lol: One time years ago (before me), the old boss kept the police at bay (federal property) becasuse he didn't want to pay OT... Told the cops: "He wasn't here". :lol::thumbsup: After the worker in question got off his shift the boss told him: "You better straighten this out!"

You're speaking a foreign language to me.

You're speaking a foreign language to me.

You get some sort of "comp time" even if it is unoffical right? You don't work 24/7/365... Or do you? You gotta eat and sleep some time? What I mean is... If you even put in a long string of work... Do you keep at it? Or can you take some time off to compensate for that long stretch?