How are you planing for retirement?

You get some sort of "comp time" even if it is unoffical right? You don't work 24/7/365... Or do you? You gotta eat and sleep some time? What I mean is... If you even put in a long string of work... Do you keep at it? Or can you take some time off to compensate for that long stretch?

You really have no grasp of private industry, do you?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get some sort of "comp time" even if it is unoffical right? You don't work 24/7/365... Or do you? You gotta eat and sleep some time? What I mean is... If you even put in a long string of work... Do you keep at it? Or can you take some time off to compensate for that long stretch?

When I was a Chef it went kind of like this. We'll pay you X per year. Ok if I had a lot to prepare that day sometimes I'd get in at 10am and prep all day and be there until 11 or 12 at night with not much of a break for that X per year. I have no idea what comp time is...really I don't.

Now I get in whenever in the morning work 10-14 hours a day and get paid based on the production of my staff as well as my production. No production....no pay. Opening a new office like I've been doing there have been many weeks and even a few months with very little production. But who cares when we/I produce the pay is huge. And in 2 years time the pay should be very nice. It's called motivation.

I bet you're the type of person that asks about vacation pay during the interview.

When I was a Chef it went kind of like this. We'll pay you X per year. Ok if I had a lot to prepare that day sometimes I'd get in at 10am and prep all day and be there until 11 or 12 at night with not much of a break for that X per year. I have no idea what comp time is...really I don't.

Now I get in whenever in the morning work 10-14 hours a day and get paid based on the production of my staff as well as my production. No production....no pay. Opening a new office like I've been doing there have been many weeks and even a few months with very little production. But who cares when we/I produce the pay is huge. And in 2 years time the pay should be very nice. It's called motivation.

I bet you're the type of person that asks about vacation pay during the interview.

No, not at all.

You do get time off from production, no? Compensatory time is keeping track of it and balancing things. Sorry, maybe you just don't keep track of stuff like that... I got no problem with your indifference. Again, sorry for being the one who is more attached to record keeping.

Geesh...

Hahahaha... In a professional adult work environment, like programming say, you work enough to get done what you said you could get done, and as on time as you can. Once in awhile that means 14 hour days. If it starts to happen with any regularity, the work-load adjusts or you quit.

And here is another scenario: suppose you are a small business principal. Then you definately work as much as you have to, and it will typically occur with regularity. Most entrepeneurs average 12 hour days, and are never really 'off the clock.'

Travel is always a problem, particularly business development. If you go on a sales trip for a week, you often have to travel on the weekends, have meetings during the day, and work dinners during the evening. You've burned 7 days of your life, but most companies expect you to clock just 40 hours. It would be ruinous for them to pay you comp time. As an employee, you usually suck it up and say it is the price one pays for a visit to Tokyo or wherever.

Hahahaha... In a professional adult work environment, like programming say, you work enough to get done what you said you could get done, and as on time as you can. Once in awhile that means 14 hour days.

I think this is a foreign concept to many here.

No, not at all.

You do get time off from production, no? Compensatory time is keeping track of it and balancing things. Sorry, maybe you just don't keep track of stuff like that... I got no problem with your indifference. Again, sorry for being the one who is more attached to record keeping.

Geesh...

Keep track of what? If when I was a chef and I worked an 18 hour day and requested that I get extra time off in the future I'd be laughted out of the business. As for now I'm the "boss" if I work an extra long day I chalk it up to doing whatever it takes to make my office successful.

I think this is a foreign concept to many here.

It is, that is why I am trying to understand it. I work in the trades. Doing what people are saying here will get you hurt or killed. Again, all it is record keeping. You keep track of your check book?... What comes in/goes out. This is no different. Maybe in the professsions there is a bit of evening out... But, when one is working 24/7/365... There has got to be a sense of record keeping. Do you want to trust your safety to a guy that has been going 16 hours straight?... Many in the trades would do it... And many companies would like to be more flexible... That is why when it comes to these policies, things were changed many moons ago. One knows exactly what the work "rules" are.

Again... Geesh... I guess the "comp" is in the ability to take a trip to Tokyo or wherever like finknottle said. So yes... People are getting "compensated" in some way.

That was a nice explanation finknottle. Thanks!

I am not saying either way is bad or good... Just certain lines of work can account differently the work hours. I am not saying it should all be the same either.

Keep track of what? If when I was a chef and I worked an 18 hour day and requested that I get extra time off in the future I'd be laughted out of the business. As for now I'm the "boss" if I work an extra long day I chalk it up to doing whatever it takes to make my office successful.

So you never got anytime off? Was the place open 24/7/365 and had to have staff there at all times?

Maybe not in time... But you had to be compensated in other ways/perks? That is what made it worh it too? Or did you just work like a robot?

It is, that is why I am trying to understand it. I work in the trades. Doing what people are saying here will get you hurt or killed.

The union, right? Busted knee-caps for stepping out of line? Tell them to stuff it!

Clearly there are different types of positions. Some positions call for a strict shift, some a flex-time environment, some are contract (by job or by hour), and some are what are typically called 'salaried.' Occupational trends, away from line work and towards highly skilled work, have resulted in a shift towards contract and salaried employees. Even so, there is also variety within professions. A government dry-waller works 9-5, and punches out whether the job is done or not. A free-lance dry-waller promises to fix your bathroom. If he falls behind, he starts working long into the evening and wishing he quoted higher. He doesn't ask for overtime.

No, not at all.

Geesh...

You really don't get it? I work 10-12 hours a day, more if my clients need me. If my clients need the answer to a question on a Saturday night, I do it. If I have to be in the office till 3 AM, I'm here. I am not paid xtra on a per hour basis. If all is well, I will get a nice year end bonus. Its not just recordkeeping, its an entirely different mentality.

So you never got anytime off? Was the place open 24/7/365 and had to have staff there at all times?

Maybe not in time... But you had to be compensated in other ways/perks? That is what made it worh it too? Or did you just work like a robot?

No I never got time off, I worked everyday all day. :ph34r:

When I was a Chef sure I got compensated in other ways...free food and booze.

Now I get compensated in the best way possible....cold hard cash. But of course there are perks but to me that's not compensation. Trips to the Caribean don't pay the mortgage. As a matter of fact I get 1099ed for those trips.

It is, that is why I am trying to understand it. I work in the trades. Doing what people are saying here will get you hurt or killed. Again, all it is record keeping. You keep track of your check book?... What comes in/goes out. This is no different. Maybe in the professsions there is a bit of evening out... But, when one is working 24/7/365... There has got to be a sense of record keeping. Do you want to trust your safety to a guy that has been going 16 hours straight?... Many in the trades would do it... And many companies would like to be more flexible... That is why when it comes to these policies, things were changed many moons ago. One knows exactly what the work "rules" are.

Again... Geesh... I guess the "comp" is in the ability to take a trip to Tokyo or wherever like finknottle said. So yes... People are getting "compensated" in some way.

That was a nice explanation finknottle. Thanks!

I am not saying either way is bad or good... Just certain lines of work can account differently the work hours. I am not saying it should all be the same either.

Yet you apply your tunnel vision on how every job should be viewed in the context of yours, when the whole point of what people are trying to tell you that there's no such thing as watching the clock when you're in a job that demands you to be involved from start to finish. It is not something that can simply be handed off to another guy who starts the next shift.

Yet you apply your tunnel vision on how every job should be viewed in the context of yours, when the whole point of what people are trying to tell you that there's no such thing as watching the clock when you're in a job that demands you to be involved from start to finish. It is not something that can simply be handed off to another guy who starts the next shift.

Fair enough. :ph34r:

No I never got time off, I worked everyday all day. :ph34r:

When I was a Chef sure I got compensated in other ways...free food and booze.

Now I get compensated in the best way possible....cold hard cash. But of course there are perks but to me that's not compensation. Trips to the Caribean don't pay the mortgage. As a matter of fact I get 1099ed for those trips.

:(

Thanks. You do get compensated. Some aren't as priviledged. Some have to account for ever hour... Because there is no other way to comp them.