Jered Gaither

Virgil

From what I have found online, he is the starting LT for Ravens and a Restricted FA with a 1st and 3rd round tender. The Ravens are already preparing to lose the guy and most believe that he can be had for a 2nd round pick. The guy is also 24 years old.

So, a proven starter at LT for a 2nd round pick? Why are we not all over this? Right now, the majority of people want a LT with our 1st pick, why not get a proven guy with our second over a rookie in the first. Then, we could trade down, up, whatever we want. Hell, we could get Eric Berry, have a kick ass secondary and get Cam Thomas in the 3rd.

Does anyone know if the Bills have even looked at this guy? What am I missing?

From what I have found online, he is the starting LT for Ravens and a Restricted FA with a 1st and 3rd round tender. The Ravens are already preparing to lose the guy and most believe that he can be had for a 2nd round pick. The guy is also 24 years old.

So, a proven starter at LT for a 2nd round pick? Why are we not all over this? Right now, the majority of people want a LT with our 1st pick, why not get a proven guy with our second over a rookie in the first. Then, we could trade down, up, whatever we want. Hell, we could get Eric Berry, have a kick ass secondary and get Cam Thomas in the 3rd.

Not for nothing, but why don't the Ravens want him anymore? If he were a top talent I'm pretty certain they would keep him.

Why are other teams rejects good enough for Buffalo? This year there is a bumper crop of tackles in the draft, time for Nix to earn his salary.

I'm right with you. Everyone knows drafting an LT in either RD's 1-2 is far from a guarantee that he will amount to anything (ex. Mike Williams). A 2nd rounder is a cheap price for a proven LT that would normally cost much more.

Not for nothing, but why don't the Ravens want him anymore? If he were a top talent I'm pretty certain they would keep him.

Why are other teams rejects good enough for Buffalo? This year there is a bumper crop of tackles in the draft, time for Nix to earn his salary.

From what I can tell, they don't have the money for him. They have a lot of people coming up who need contracts and they have a guy behind him that's not better, but may be a serviceable replacement.

I think the real question is, why aren't the other teams out there who need a LT going after him. Performance wise, this guy is legit and young.

Sounds like the Redskins are interested, but maybe it would be wise for the Bills to sit this one out...these kind of things rarely work well for our guys..

Some insight, from the Baltimore Sun:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainm...aither_isn.html

I'm not really sure what you're asking for here, OP, but Gaither has been talked about pretty extensively around here (TSW). As far as the FO, who knows?

But why would they announce that they are looking into acquiring Gaither for a 2nd round pick?

I will never get the mentality that if the FO doesn't call every single fan and formally announce what they are thinking and/or attempting to do then they are abviously asleep/eating Easter Ham/ retarded/ soft/lacking in knowledge/ trying to suck on purpose to get the team moved.

I like /'s. :blink:

Gaither is a terrific player. You'd love to get him if you could. But the only reasons we have to believe he's available are a very high tender - not the highest, but very high - and some rumors floating around that he's available. And then, we'd have to either franchise him continuously and have a very unhappy player on our hands, or pay him Jason Peters money. How likely is that? But it's nothing to worry about because ...

He's not available. People here think that because he was only offered a first-round tender, that's a sure-fire sign that the Ravens want to get rid of him. But if you look, how many guys with first-round tenders end up going to different teams in trades each year? One, maybe? Two? And you know who they are going to be, they're the ones who no longer fit into the system since the team is going to a bigger/smaller/3-4/4-3/zone-blocking system, or guys who have become a disturbance in the locker room ... It's guys we all know are going to go. The huge, gigantic majority of guys offered a first-round tender stay with their teams.

It's not usually a signal that someone is available, it's usually an obvious statement that the team doesn't want to pay the player the extra 750 K or so which they have to pay if they give a higher tender.

Let's compare the Ravens situation now to their situation if they let Gaither go. Right now, they have two terrific tackles, both of whom are terrific run blockers. The Ravens were 5th in the league last year at total running yards, and 4th in the league at YPC, with 4.7, which is just a great result. Football Outsiders stats also show them as the 4th best offensive line at run blocking in the league. Football Outsiders further shows that Oher is simply the best run-blocking RT in the league and Gaither is the 13th best run-blocking LT in the league. They are a run-first team, a team that forces you to defend the run by smashing the hell out of you, which then gives them a chance to pass while their still-young, very promising but still-not-there-yet QB learns his trade. In other words, they're doing exactly what they want to do.

Football Outsiders link: http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Profootballfocus, which uses a different system of evaluation, lists Gaither as the 8th best run blocking tackle out of all 77 tackles (left and right combined) in the league. Oher is listed at #9. These guys are terrific bookends.

Now, let's look at how they would do if they let Gaither go. Oher is moved to LT, where he almost definitely continues to be a force as a run-blocker. I'll have more to say about his pass blocking in a moment. Replacing Oher at RT is Tony Moll, the backup there. Moll is a 5th rounder who went to college at Nevada. This'll be his fifth year. He's played mostly right guard, but to be precise, he's mostly been a backup. In four years, he has started 15 games and participated (special teams? or to give the starter a breather?) in 39 games. He's not a particularly good player, though he's a solid backup. And the Ravens are happily going to plug this guy in at RT? Are you kidding? So, who else would fill the RT slot? The draft pick that they get in the trade? So they take one of the absolute best run blocking units in the league and plug in an unproven RT to replace arguably the best RT in the league? In the Bizarro universe this may make sense, but not in this one. Not for a team that believes that they have a shot at the Super Bowl this year.

Now, opposite whoever they plug in at RT to not-replace Michael Oher, let's look at how Oher is likely to do at LT. Take a look at profootballfocus, the site which watches each game and grades each guy on performance. They even give separate score for run blocking, pass blocking, screen blocking and penalties. They are a highly respected website. Here's their summary of Michael Oher's performance last year:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?...p;playerid=4946

Overall, they list him as the 19th best tackle (they look at right and left tackles as one group) out of 77. But look closer, at the table at the bottom of the screen. He played 5 games at LT and 11 games at RT. They score average play as a zero, so you know that negative numbers show bad play and positive numbers show good play. In eleven games as an RT, he recieved a cumulative score of PLUS 13.6, an extremely good score. In five games as an LT however, his cumulative score was MINUS 9.1, and that is genuinely horrible, particularly in only five games. If you pro-rate those five games across a sixteen game season, Oher's score as a LEFT TACKLE would have been MINUS 29.12, and that would have put him in the rankings as the 76th best tackle in the league. OUT OF 77. The second-worst tackle in the league. On the other hand, if you prorate his 11 games at right tackle across a 16 game season, his score would have been PLUS 19.8, which would have placed him as the 3rd best tackle in the league out of 77.

I promised I'd get back to Oher's pass blocking abilities. In five games at LT, his pass blocking score was MINUS 3.9. In eleven games at RT? PLUS 8.4. He does pretty well against the guys he faces at RT, but against the hyper-athletic rushers he faced at LT, he simply couldn't get the job done. Pro-rate his five games at LT over a sixteen game season and you get MINUS 12.5 as a pass blocker. That would put him as the 69th best tackle out of 77, in other words, the 8th worst pass blocker in the league.

And you want to switch THAT GUY to LEFT TACKLE? Are you insane?

Perhaps if they were Cleveland or Oakland or ... I hate to say it , but with the way we have handled our OL the past five years or so, we fit with that group ... or Buffalo, they would do it. But the Ravens are a terrific organization and they don't do stupid things like this.

The Ravens don't want to trade Gaither, they want to keep him. If someone gives him a contract offer, the Ravens will match it.

Add in the fact that Oher's rookie contract lasts five years and totals $13.795 mill, and you see that these guys are cheap.

Gaither is going nowhere.

Sounds like the Redskins are interested, but maybe it would be wise for the Bills to sit this one out...these kind of things rarely work well for our guys..

So the entire thing they have against Gaither is that he didn't show up for the first week of voluntary workouts ... for a team that he's having a salary disagreement with. Gotcha.

So the entire thing they have against Gaither is that he didn't show up for the first week of voluntary workouts ... for a team that he's having a salary disagreement with. Gotcha.

Okay...I guess you didn't read the whole thing...it is shorter than your post...him not showing up for voluntary workouts is not really the issue...it seems the team has questions about how motivated, Gaither is. He says the right things, but, apparently, he team doesn't necessarily think he is the hardest worker. This sounds kind of like the Peters thing, all over, to me. Normally, when the Bills go after players with that rap, they don't all of the sudden start playing better...

Okay...I guess you didn't read the whole thing...it is shorter than your post...him not showing up for voluntary workouts is not really the issue...it seems the team has questions about how motivated, Gaither is. He says the right things, but, apparently, he team doesn't necessarily think he is the hardest worker. This sounds kind of like the Peters thing, all over, to me. Normally, when the Bills go after players with that rap, they don't all of the sudden start playing better...

Excellent point.

:blink: What the hell are you doing spewing lucid thought @ 4:00 a.m.??

If Ozzie Newsome is willing to let him go, there's a reason.

I like these boards for interesting discussion... a snack, if you will. But I can't believe the length of some of these posts. A - How much time do you have?! and, B - Do you really think people want to read a 5,000 word opinion on Jared Gaither?

After the 1st 100 words, I glaze over. I know....who gives a sh**.....

Man, everyone kis missing the obvious point here. It's simple economics. They have Michael Oher who is a LT and future Pro Bowler there. Gaither is a very good LT& in his own right and has more value to the Ravens in a trade than at RT, where he'll demand LT money at the RT position when they could pay half that price tag for a very good RT and be fine. Gaither was never intended to be the LT, he was a place holder for Oher. Now, they got lucky and Gaither has proven too good to play RT and has more value as a LT and trade bait.

There's been another post or two about this, but hard news? Not so much, unless you consider the bleacher report.

I don't know why we wouldn't be jumping all over this. Might be a draft day thing.

Could the Bills work out the following tentative deal with Baltimore:

Bills second pick #41 to the Ravens for Gaither IF Clausen is there for us at #9.

Buffalo wouldn't want to make a trade for Gaither if they can't get a QB in round 1, would they?

Can someone please show me where the Ravens will take a 2nd for him? There has not been a single report ever stating the Ravens want a 2nd round pick, it has been just pure speculation and assumptions that we can get him for a 2nd. It will currently take a 1st and a 3rd, and teams who put that level of restriction usually do so because they want to find a way to keep him.

Secondly, how does anyone know that the Bills havent called about him already and were told it would take at least a first or the full 1st and a 3rd?

I love how if we dont hear about it in the news, which we wont hear about 85% of what teams discuss (especially no name players like him in terms of fame) it is just assumed no one has inquired. I mean can anyone honestly think that the Bills (or other teams needing a OT) wouldnt have at least inquired about him if he truly is currently available for a 2nd and was that good?

Also, if he can be so easily had for a 2nd right now why havent the other teams in need of OT traded for him yet so they can save their top 10 pick in the draft for another position? KC, Sea, Oak, TB, etc could all use OT...not to mention all the other teams around the league...Its either becuase he isnt available for a 2nd at this time or teams dont think he is worth that high of a pick given the contract he will command too.

Can someone please show me where the Ravens will take a 2nd for him? There has not been a single report ever stating the Ravens want a 2nd round pick, it has been just pure speculation and assumptions that we can get him for a 2nd. It will currently take a 1st and a 3rd, and teams who put that level of restriction usually do so because they want to find a way to keep him.

Secondly, how does anyone know that the Bills havent called about him already and were told it would take at least a first or the full 1st and a 3rd?

I love how if we dont hear about it in the news, which we wont hear about 85% of what teams discuss (especially no name players like him in terms of fame) it is just assumed no one has inquired. I mean can anyone honestly think that the Bills (or other teams needing a OT) wouldnt have at least inquired about him if he truly is currently available for a 2nd and was that good?

What do you want? Raven's GM Ozzie Newsome announces...

Of course it is speculation based on various sources etc. etc. etc.

Here's a Baltimore Sun blurb mentioning his availability for a #2.

I could find you 50 similar blurbs. Will that change your mind? Probably not because your mind is already made up.

What do you want? Raven's GM Ozzie Newsome announces...

Of course it is speculation based on various sources etc. etc. etc.

Here's a Baltimore Sun blurb mentioning his availability for a #2.

I could find you 50 similar blurbs. Will that change your mind? Probably not because your mind is already made up.

My point is, no one really knows if he is available for a 2nd, yet posters here are piling on the FO for not acquiring him yet. If he is out there for a 2nd right now, then why havent the other tackle needy teams made the move? If he can be had for a second I am sure the FO is fully aware of that, probably has already inquired, and is exploring all kinds of options right now. We dont need 20 threads on how we havent gone after Gaither yet when no one knows if we have or not.

The side factor here is that the FO was trying to use our 2nd to get McNabb which they all ignore in bashing our FO in all these threads about not getting this guy yet. Of course no one seems to be taking that into consideration.

Now the FO is considering getting Campbell too according to reports, so who knows what kind of compensation they are considering there.

Sounds like he could be a guy who gets the big payday and stops working hard. And considering he'd probably be looking for about $10M/year, I'd pass.

Very few words there, Doc, but so much to the point...that is really, really what scares me about this kid. Look, I don't want us to mess up on a draft pick but I would rather mess up on a draft pick then pay big bucks (and a draft pick) to a players who after he gets his 8 figure bonus checks decides he's really not that into football anymore.

...or worse yet a guy who we give millions to, plays poorly, and then ends up watching film of Baltimore games in the locker room after Bills' losses, thinking how much he misses the Ravens.

Yeah, I don't know about you guys but that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

1. Who are "most people"? People on TSW? Why is 2nd rounder enough if he is tendered for a 1st and a 3rd?

2. How much money does he want? What is his character like?

3. Even if the Bills could, and would, make the trade for a 2nd rounder they would be smart to waiting until they are on the clock at #41. Look at who is there before you make the trade.

Sounds a lot like Mike Williams (Bills 2003 #1 OT pick) - definitely has the physical attributes like Williams did. Unfortunately it sounds like he has the heart of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man like Williams did. But hey, he says the right things.