Rams make it official, release Marc Bulger

Lori

Bulger may be the recent NFL starting QB about whom we really can't say: "Well, he can't be worse than Trent Edwards"

Depends, he was tired of St. Louis. Maybe a change of pace would do him good. Who knows what Gailey can do with him?

Nice birthday present -- yes, Bulger turned 33 today -- which leaves A.J. Feeley as a potential mentor for Sam Bradford.

As for Bulger, don't think he's going to get anywhere near the $8.5 million he would have been due this season...

We could bring him in without giving up a draft pick. I say we get him!!! :lol:

Well does he have anything left? :lol:

"Come on Lori....you really think someone here is gonna say 'Hey lets get Bulger'? Nah....not gonna happen.... "

Too late, we already have 2 people that would want to bring him in... :thumbsup:

Nice birthday present -- yes, Bulger turned 33 today -- which leaves A.J. Feeley as a potential mentor for Sam Bradford.

As for Bulger, don't think he's going to get anywhere near the $8.5 million he would have been due this season...

I've always wondered about this "vet mentor thing"...if it means anything, why do teams hire QB coaches? Seems redundant... :thumbsup:

"Come on Lori....you really think someone here is gonna say 'Hey lets get Bulger'? Nah....not gonna happen.... "

Too late, we already have 2 people that would want to bring him in... :thumbsup:

I am not against bringing him in to see what he has left. If you give him a contract that is incentive based which he would expect then you can see what he has left. He at least had some good seasons with the Rams. He went down hill when the talent and coaching went down hill.

Bulger may be the recent NFL starting QB about whom we really can't say: "Well, he can't be worse than Trent Edwards"

Um, I will say it...Bulger is better than Trent, even right now. Trent has never ever been good, not once, not even in college. His career high in TD's is 11...come on now.

Bulger is no savior, but he is better than Edwards...

That being said, I think we need to focus on developing Brohm still who is the only QB on this roster with any significant upside at this point. Bulger isnt going to get us over the hump, although I think we win more games with him than Trent or Ftiz. So, lets focus on developing Brohm, getting him some experience so we know if we need to go out and draft a QB round 1 next year or acquire one via trade or FA to be our starter.

There is no QB currently available now that McNabb has been traded that makes us a contender next year, so this is the year we need to find out what we have in Brohm, Fitz and Trent with the new staff and offense. Hopefully, one of them can step up and be a good starter for us, if not, we get our QB next year.

I've always wondered about this "vet mentor thing"...if it means anything, why do teams hire QB coaches? Seems redundant... :thumbsup:

I thought this was a horrible idea until I looked up Bulger's career stats. He is really good when he has a surounding cast. I think he is worth a look. He could be a valuable veteran down the line when we bring a young kid in. He is much better than Cambell.

It's not so much a teaching role as the willingness to step aside without creating a scene when the young superstar-in-waiting is deemed ready ... a personality trait most of the great QBs don't have, IMO, because of their natural competitiveness. Favre wasn't about to help Rodgers take his job, and Kelly was the same way.

I've always wondered about this "vet mentor thing"...if it means anything, why do teams hire these QB coaches? :thumbsup:

I get what you're saying but there is still the line of a coach/player. When a QB is mentoring another QB in most* occasions it is more of a commradre(sp) type approach, and while it may work in some instances, I don't think it's all that important.

*Bledsoe came to mind for the argument against.

I thought this was a horrible idea until I looked up Bulger's career stats. He is really good when he has a surounding cast. I think he is worth a look. He could be a valuable veteran down the line when we bring a young kid in. He is much better than Cambell.

Not my point...

It's not so much a teaching role as the willingness to step aside without creating a scene when the young superstar-in-waiting is deemed ready ... a personality trait most of the great QBs don't have, IMO, because of their natural competitiveness. Favre wasn't about to help Rodgers take his job, and Kelly was the same way.

Jon Kitna, then?

The QB coach steps in. Having to pay for a player, take up a valuable roster spot, as a mentor is - poor business management, as your historical references mention.

Edited by stuckincincy

We should sign Bulger, and draft a QB to sit behind him for a year or two. That way Bulger can take a pounding while we upgrade our offensive line, and it will give whoever we draft time to develop.

What would be the point?

Might as well just hire a practice dummy.

Would be cheaper... although I do see your point.

What would be the point?

Might as well just hire a practice dummy.

Would be cheaper... although I do see your point.

Bulger's best receiver in St. Louis was his running back. We at least have Lee here. He would offer better QB play than anyone we currently have on the roster. Bulger attacks every level of the field, which is something Fitz and Trent don't do. I wouldn't expect him to play extremely well, but if the Bills don't view any QB on the roster as a long term option, then there is no downside to signing him.

Guest dog14787

Mcnabb I could see happening and be on board with it because he's tough both physically and mentally, accurate, very strong armed plus he's accustomed to playing in poor weather conditions.

In my opinion because we are installing a new offense anyway, we should draft Tim Tebow (if possible) and let the four QB's battle for the start next season.

I vote NO on Bulger

We should sign Bulger, and draft a QB to sit behind him for a year or two. That way Bulger can take a pounding while we upgrade our offensive line, and it will give whoever we draft time to develop.

well, he cant. 1st hit hell be out 4 the season

I guess it kinda depends, key word being credibility. Seems like most players take to ex players that are coaches and might respond better to a vet player than a coach who never made in the NFL. I'm not saying I agree, just might explain the difference.

Um, I will say it...Bulger is better than Trent, even right now. Trent has never ever been good, not once, not even in college. His career high in TD's is 11...come on now.

Bulger is no savior, but he is better than Edwards...

That being said, I think we need to focus on developing Brohm still who is the only QB on this roster with any significant upside at this point. Bulger isnt going to get us over the hump, although I think we win more games with him than Trent or Ftiz. So, lets focus on developing Brohm, getting him some experience so we know if we need to go out and draft a QB round 1 next year or acquire one via trade or FA to be our starter.

There is no QB currently available now that McNabb has been traded that makes us a contender next year, so this is the year we need to find out what we have in Brohm, Fitz and Trent with the new staff and offense. Hopefully, one of them can step up and be a good starter for us, if not, we get our QB next year.

Actually, in the years in which you can compare them (2007-09), Bulger is measurably worse than Edwards: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BulgMa00.htm. His passer rating has been around 70 for the past 3 seasons too.

In fact, he hasn't thrown for more than 11 TDs since 2006. Why do you think he's better?

People, wake up! A team that has gone 3-29 (!!!) with him at the helm just cut him because they don't think he's good enough for their team. And the team is now run by a legit football guy (Billy Devaney).

Before the "Let's sign Bulger" posts start, I say "Hell NO!!!!!"

At least Bulger has shown he's able to do it.. His best days are surly behind him, but I would not hate it... I'd rather just draft Clausen if they don't have any faith in Edwards or Brohm, which seems to be the case with the interest in McNabb...

The Bills will only sign Bulger after the draft if they do not get what they want in the draft. They will only trade for Campbell, again, if they do not get what they want in the draft. Of course...my opinions. But, why would they do anything before finding out where Claussen/Tebow et al go?

The Bills will only sign Bulger after the draft if they do not get what they want in the draft. They will only trade for Campbell, again, if they do not get what they want in the draft. Of course...my opinions. But, why would they do anything before finding out where Claussen/Tebow et al go?

There's no good reason to have Clausen and Campbell, but it might be worth keeping Campbell around and still investing the 2nd round pick in Tebow IF they really decide he's got what it takes. Campbell is a reasonable 3-year option while we wait out Tebow's development. More than Edwards/

they still don't have a replacement for kelly