Jimmy Clausen

Brand J

A fiery QB, who played in a pro style offense, while putting up staggering numbers (28 TDs/4 INTs/68% completion). This is who you take at #9 if he is available and it's not even a question in my eyes. For all of you who dislike Clausen, two questions: 1) did you actually watch him play? 2) what is the specific reason why you believe he can't get the job done?

Clausen Fighting Off Negative Perceptions

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A fiery QB, who played in a pro style offense, while putting up staggering numbers (28 TDs/4 INTs/68% completion). This is who you take at #9 if he is available and it's not even a question in my eyes. For all of you who dislike Clausen, two questions: 1) did you actually watch him play? 2) what is the specific reason why you believe he can't get the job done?

said it before, say it again:

If he's there I believe he'll be the Bills pick.

If he's gone I hope that the Bills do not pick a QB until we get to the 'take a flyer' rounds.

If he's gone I hope that the Bills do not pick a QB until we get to the 'take a flyer' rounds.

Agree.

My three "take a flyer" candidates are Zac Robinson, Perriloux, and Brian Babin.

From Beandog's Rankings over at DraftTek:

Sleeper: Brian Babin, Southeastern Louisiana (7th-UDFA) - Similar to guys like Skelton and Jarrett Brown in that they have the size and arm to succeed at the next level but are lacking in other areas. Babin is 6-5 225 so he definitely has to succeed at the next level. Like most college QBs, he worked completely out of the shotgun so he will need to adjust to taking snaps under center. He could use a little more bulk but looking at the game tape he has great athleticism for his size and really excels at throwing on the run. He has shown the ability to avoid the rush and keep plays alive by using his superior size, similar to Big Ben and McNabb. A three year starter, he threw 65 TDs as opposed to only 23 interceptions, 8 of which came in his first two years. He had a 10:3 TD to INT ratio as a junior and senior. His 62% completion percentage was a bit deceiving as he only had one weapon to work with, WR Simmie Yarborough a sophomore that is a future sleeper. Overall I see as a guy that has value as a long term project as he needs to bulk up, learn how to play under center, and work on his intermediate routes since most of his offense was short passes often and then taking a shot downfield once in a while.

Hes growing on me. You cant help but be concerned about the leadership/maturity questions, but its hard to judge whats real in the locker room as a fan. What you can say is accuracy running a pro style offense will almost no doubt transfer over. For all the talk of arm strength I think that accuracy is often overlooked. Its nice to throw a ball a mile but being able to anticipate a receivers route and place the ball exactly where you want it is crucial at the NFL level. The windows get much tighter, and if you cant fit passes in at a college level, why would you think it would work against pros.

On behalf of the great anti-Clausen gallery, I'll respond:

1) No not much if at all, but they do watch and listen to the pundits on ESPN

2) He went to ND

2) He played for ND

2) He's from Kalifornia

2) He's blonde

2) He wears speed-os

2) He got a black eye from a drunk

2) He's not someone else

2) Someone said he's cocky

2) "He's already developed about as much as can be expected because he was coached and tutored by Jabba the Hut in a pro-style offense - so he doesn't have as much "upside" potential than say, Tim Tebow or Colt-45 McCoy, "Todd McShame1

1You should know by now that Todd McShame is the very best talent evaluator of all time and his word has the weight of the rule of law. His pigskin picks are peerless. His own mother changed her last name and home phone number to avoid the calls to her house by NFL scouts and general managers for his incredibly sage advice.

Agree.

My three "take a flyer" candidates are Zac Robinson, Perriloux, and Brian Babin.

pleeeeease stay away from perriloux! theres a reason he got kicked off LSU -- high talent guys get there problems covered up/fixed in a place like baton rouge. it speaks volumes that he couldnt stick with the team, both in his on-field and off-field issues.

I agree. Clausen is a franchise QB and we would be foolish to let him pass us by if we have the opportunity to draft him at 9.

Absolutely agree. The Bills are in no position to turn down a QB with Clausen's credentials. I read that the negative chatter on him is mainly anti-Notre Dame stuff.

Chances are slim that they'll get that chance anyways, since Clausen will go to either the Redskins or the Rams (if there is a trade down with Washington).

One way or the other I think the Bills will hope to get their hands on either Clausen in the first or Tebow in the second.

Hes growing on me. You cant help but be concerned about the leadership/maturity questions, but its hard to judge whats real in the locker room as a fan. What you can say is accuracy running a pro style offense will almost no doubt transfer over. For all the talk of arm strength I think that accuracy is often overlooked. Its nice to throw a ball a mile but being able to anticipate a receivers route and place the ball exactly where you want it is crucial at the NFL level. The windows get much tighter, and if you cant fit passes in at a college level, why would you think it would work against pros.

Excellent point about accuracy. An excellent arm is a nice bonus, but what really counts is the ability to put the ball on target.

Regarding the leadership/maturity questions, multiple sources opine that these "maturity concerns" are really nothing more than "I don't like him because he played for Notre Dame and he kinda looks like a jerk, doesn't he?".

His teammates voted him captain, and they all swear by his leadership and work ethic. He led 4 game winning drives last season. That's enough for me to dismiss any unsubstantiated hokum from "draft experts" about maturity concerns.

Excellent point about accuracy. An excellent arm is a nice bonus, but what really counts is the ability to put the ball on target.

Regarding the leadership/maturity questions, multiple sources opine that these "maturity concerns" are really nothing more than "I don't like him because he played for Notre Dame and he kinda looks like a jerk, doesn't he?".

His teammates voted him captain, and they all swear by his leadership and work ethic. He led 4 game winning drives last season. That's enough for me to dismiss any unsubstantiated hokum from "draft experts" about maturity concerns.

I think it does speak volumes that people have come out on his behalf, and that he was voted a captain. On the flip side, a QB being voted captain happens on a pretty regular basis, regardless of character, ability, or anything beyond the title of starting qb. How many captains have started the season only to be benched half way through here in Buffalo the last couple years? I also love the fact that it seems he has a passion for the game even off the field. This could be the "everyone must have a weakness so this is what we are picking since we cant find it on the field."

I think throwing the questions out totally is a little extreme to the other side though. Thats why I framed it as leadership questions, not leadership issues.

The questions are out there, and I dont think we as fans will ever truly know one way or the other who he is in a locker room, a huddle, or sitting in a dorm room. Tate coming out helps his stock too -- gets his name into these articles as a kid who is willing to battle for his QB. Mays coming out could be traced back to the agent. Am I saying either one is lying? Not at all, but in being critical of the statements, you have to look at if there could be motivation to say what they are beyond the goodness of their hearts.

What I can say is that based on his play, I am confident that he will be able to put the ball where he wants it, and based on his work ethic he will learn where it needs to be at the next level. Whether or not his teammates will like him will have a lot to do with things I will never be able to see personally. On field success goes a long way to respect though, even if it turns out he is a jerk.

I watched almost every Clausen game this year so my opinion of him is based on the way he performed on the field. I feel like he has the arm, he's very acccurate, he can change arm angles to adjust to throwing lanes and maintain accuracy, he comes up big in the big spots and his performance stays consistant regardless of the opponent.

One of my best friends is a college OC at a very good school and he DVRs all of ND's games because he like to see Weiss's offense and how it adjusts from week to week. During the season he called me on a Sunday after ND played USC and said that Clausen had one of the most impressive games that he's seen out of a QB in a long time. He could not believe how he hung while his Oline played like crap to make throw after throw. By the end of the season he said that Clausen was the best QB that he's seen in years. There are two thing that he's pointed to, his ability to make every kind of throw regardless of context and the way he plays mistake free regardless of the opponent/situation. In his word, that shows he has the "mind & body".

If Clausen is there and the Bills pass, it will be yet another setback for a team that can't figure out the draft. I know NGU's track record is stellar but let's hope he's dead wrong about this.

If I had to guess today, it might look something like this down to Oakland's pick:

1 1 St Louis Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma

1 2 Detroit Ndamukong Suh DT43 Nebraska

1 3 Tampa Bay Gerald McCoy DT43 Oklahoma

1 4 Washington Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State

1 5 Kansas City Eric Berry SS Tennessee

1 6 Seattle C.J. Spiller RBC Clemson P3Gr

1 7 Cleveland Joe Haden CB Florida

Al Davis has to choose between fast shiny (Dez Bryant, Derrick Morgan), big ugly (Bulaga, Trent Williams), and fix my own mistakes (Clausen).

Historically, Al goes with fast shiny.

If I had to guess today, it might look something like this down to Oakland's pick:

Al Davis has to choose between fast shiny (Dez Bryant, Derrick Morgan), big ugly (Bulaga, Trent Williams), and fix my own mistakes (Clausen).

Al will pick Bruce Campbell. I've got money on it.

My concern is that I expect 2 major things to differ from your projection. First, after the Corey Williams trade, I think the Lions will go with Okung. Second, I don't see Shanahan passing on Clausen no matter who's there. He traded up to get Jay Cutler when he still had Jake Plummer playing well. Right now, he's got Jason Campbell playing mediocre, and he's only got Campbell for 1 year, anyway.

Hopefully the McNabb to Washington talk has some merit. If they have their QB then we stand a much better chance of having Clausen available @9. Then it comes down to what Gailey and Nix think about him.

His teammates voted him captain, and they all swear by his leadership and work ethic.

Funny how this is almost never mentioned.

He led 4 game winning drives last season.

Plus 3 more where he led his team to multiple late scores but his defense subsequently lost the game.

But a guy whose team won half their games by 30 points and got blasted by Alabama is somehow regarded as a legendary leader. :wallbash:

I watched him play a ton....he's bad. Your logic paralells the previous managements decision to take Maybin....who is also very bad. Maybin had one decent year, like Clausen.

Even if he's there, get an OLineman. take a flyer on a guy like Tony Pike.

I posted this before but:

63.0 QB Rating 12 TDs 20 INTs 53.8% 162.9 yards per game 26 sacks in 15 games

59.9 QB Rating 10 TDs 19 INTs 54.6% 185.7 yards per game 24 sacks in 10 games

61.0 QB Rating 13 TDs 20 INTs 53.3% 226.7 yards per game 20 sacks in 10 games

70.4 QB Rating 07 TDs 08 INTs 56.1% 163.0 yards per game 12 sacks in 10 games

Those are the stats from 3 rookie QBs in 2009 (Mark Sanchez, Matt Stafford and Josh Freeman) and Trent Edwards' rookie year in 2007. Which might fall inline with what Clausen could do for us in 2010. Are they good enough to really turn around this team in 2010? Most likely not so I say get a better collection of players in the higher rounds this year see LT Bulaga (or Trent Williams) in Round 1, possibly WR Arrelious Benn in Round 2, NT Cam Thomas in Round 3, then take a QB in Round 4 as it's a lower risk and if he bombs then go after take a QB in Round 1 in 2012 when have more pieces in place.