Trusting Chan Gailey

Lets face facts, the Bills hired a less expensive version of Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan.

He has previous NFL head coaching experience and is clearly someone Buddy Nix feels he can trust.

Only time will tell if he can become a winner in Buffalo, considering his foes in the AFC East he certainly has his work cut out for him.

I'm just happy as hell that the Bills finally hired a head coach with NFL experience and an offensive background, although it took ten years.

The only thing that still really bothers me is that there appears that nobody at OBD, owner / FO that had enough NFL acumen to realize just how inept Dick Jauron was from the start, and did the Bills just hire the offensive version of the same thing?

Nice. In one post I want to say amen and god help us!!

So which is it WEO? One moment you criticize the press, then the next you post an article as if it were the be all and end all of defining Gailey's stint at GT.

I haven't really "criticized" the press here. Just pointing having fun with the "teases" of "breaking news" going "over the wire" regarding such jaw droppers as "Wilson Not Sure If Cowher Wants to Coach In Buffalo." And how everyone laps it up.

As for the article I posted, why would I criticize it? It is a factual account of the guy's stint at GT. If you have an article with completely different data regarding Gailey's time in Georgia, I would be interested in seeing it.

There is a BIG difference between the recruiting and fundraising that an ACC team can do and what a SEC team can do. Therefore it is no big surprise that Georgia had beaten GT six straight times.

GT was fired partly because his performance was a drag on fundraising. The guy that followed him has had 9-4 and 11-3 records and has beaten Georgia--the year after Gailey left.

I haven't really "criticized" the press here. Just pointing having fun with the "teases" of "breaking news" going "over the wire" regarding such jaw droppers as "Wilson Not Sure If Cowher Wants to Coach In Buffalo." And how everyone laps it up.

As for the article I posted, why would I criticize it? It is a factual account of the guy's stint at GT. If you have an article with completely different data regarding Gailey's time in Georgia, I would be interested in seeing it.

GT was fired partly because his performance was a drag on fundraising. The guy that followed him has had 9-4 and 11-3 records and has beaten Georgia--the year after Gailey left.

This is the issue with Gailey: his previous HC job in college was one mired in mediocrity. He recruited well but never seemed to have more than average success. Not winning in college is one thing, but to get a HC job in the pros with his recent track record is not inspiring.

This reminds me of Jauron circa 2008: a HC with talent (and an easy schedule) who couldn't win.

And then, I'm reminded of the other three teams in the AFCE and their management structure.

Huge difference between Gailey and Jauron. Gailey has been around winning programs consistently -- both as a head coach and a coordinator. I think that entitles him to receive the benefit of the doubt.

Now back to our regularly scheduled "everything about the Bills' organization sucks" programming.

Miserable f**cks, most of you...

I've read here the admiration for Gailey's words from the recent breakfast for select premium ticket holders. If this were a proven coach talking about things, then fine. Unfortunately (unless you're a homer extraordinaire) everything he said is straight from the coach-speak manual.

Why does Gailey receive the benefit of the doubt? It must be because he's new and the anti-Jauron. But name one HC who went 10 years between top jobs, let alone a guy who has success that far apart? Even if Bills fans are to assume that Nix will find talent, the coach is the person putting that talent into place. And I don't see Gailey doing that, certainly not this season. It's looking like cloudy and about 4-12 this season.

Despite what the team says, they need instant starters at LT, NT, and OLB. For all the credit Gailey received, he's never had the task of rebuilding a team like he will here. It's great he's been a decent OC for 3 NFL seasons since being fired in Dallas, but HC is an exponentially greater challenge. Words don't change that.

I don't think Gailey will be new to the "rebuilding business." When you coach in college, your whole career is a rebuilding exercise because your players are turning over every four years. To suggest that he doesn't know anything about rebuilding a football team shows a lack of understanding about the college game.

Second, anyone who expects a coaching staff to turn around this team from where it is into a Superbowl Champion in one offseason is really fooling themselves. Buffalo needs a lot of help, at a lot of positions, and they are not going to be filled in one offseason. Rebuilding is a process that has to be done right from the start or the building never gets finished. Gailey and Nix seem to be doing things right, but it will take two or three years before we'll know for sure. Gailey has been widely praised as an offensive mind. He was being considered for the Chicago vacancy and Bill Cowher has stated that if he had come back to coaching this year, Chan Gailey would have been his choice for OC.

Perhaps we could restrain the prophets of doom and gloom until we actually have some tangible results to see if this team is heading in the right direction. Perhaps even waiting for the draft and training camp to pass us by before rushing to judgment about the head coach and his direction would be a prudent decision. But wait, this is still TBD, and that's asking way too much.

I've read here the admiration for Gailey's words from the recent breakfast for select premium ticket holders. If this were a proven coach talking about things, then fine. Unfortunately (unless you're a homer extraordinaire) everything he said is straight from the coach-speak manual.

Why does Gailey receive the benefit of the doubt? It must be because he's new and the anti-Jauron. But name one HC who went 10 years between top jobs, let alone a guy who has success that far apart? Even if Bills fans are to assume that Nix will find talent, the coach is the person putting that talent into place. And I don't see Gailey doing that, certainly not this season. It's looking like cloudy and about 4-12 this season.

Despite what the team says, they need instant starters at LT, NT, and OLB. For all the credit Gailey received, he's never had the task of rebuilding a team like he will here. It's great he's been a decent OC for 3 NFL seasons since being fired in Dallas, but HC is an exponentially greater challenge. Words don't change that.

What purpose does it serve to seek out reasons to fault the guy? I think you're reaching here just to stir up s**t here.

Let's see, last Bills coach with a winning record... Wade?

Last coach Bills hired who had a winning record?

Chan deserves the benefit of the doubt.

As read on The Stadium Wall over the years here are some quotes:

"I trust Gregg Williams just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2001)

"I trust Mike Mularkey just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2004)

"I trust Dick Jauron just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2006)

"I trust Perry Fewell just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2009)

"I trust Chan Gailey just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2010)

"I trust ___________ just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2013)

Anybody see a pattern of failure here?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Footnote: Ralph Wilson promotes Russ Brandon for all his great work. I guess if he can sell tickets to see this crap he deserves a promotion.

Does Ralph Wilson deserve the benefit of the doubt? Over 50 years the overwhelming majority of his decisions have been dead wrong, yet some people continue to believe this time he got it right. Why?

Factoid: Bills miss the playoffs for ten straight seasons.

There have been plenty of coaches that came into Buffalo not looking so hot...

Marv Levy had a .430 winning percentage at KC coming in...and a subpar college coaching career...and he's the best coach in Buffalo history...so I mean a guy with a .560 and a boring college coaching career could be alright

"I trust Gregg Williams just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2001)

"I trust Mike Mularkey just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2004)

"I trust Dick Jauron just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2006)

"I trust Perry Fewell just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2009)

"I trust Chan Gailey just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2010)

"I trust ___________ just give him a chance. He deserves the benefit of the doubt." (2013)

Footnote: Ralph Wilson promotes Russ Brandon for all his great work. I guess if he can sell tickets to see this crap he deserves a promotion.

Does Ralph Wilson deserve the benefit of the doubt? Over 50 years the overwhelming majority of his decisions have been dead wrong, yet some people continue to believe this time he got it right. Why?

2013...trust Charlie Wies

I'll buy that argument, but the fact is that Gailey took an NFL team that had gone 6-10 and made the playoffs with it the next two seasons. Compare to the following:

Williams had no record of HC success. Jauron's was VERY limited. Mularkey might have had the best chance of the bunch but lost goodwill with the team and was not helped by Donahoe's management of the team. Perry Fewell was an interim guy and I don't think many people expected much from him. He was better than Jauron, which is like saying that zero is more than -1.

Gailey has more to recommend him than did any of the other three or four prior Bills hires. He would have been Cowher's OC hire. I choose to give him a shot.

I don't buy that argument at all. Listing a bunch of past failures has 0% to do with this year. You don't grade a coach on what he has yet to prove. We haven't even played a friggin' game yet. Bone headed post all together.

I don't buy that argument at all. Listing a bunch of past failures has 0% to do with this year. You don't grade a coach on what he has yet to prove. We haven't even played a friggin' game yet. Bone headed post all together.

I only buy the notion that we've found ways to rationalize past hires and see the bright side or potential in them. That said, I agree that we have no idea of what Gailey is yet capable of with the current roster.

If we can't chill out and see what happens, there's going to be no enjoyment of the season. Unfortunately, when we have a potentially good thing - being able to talk football all year with fellow fans through a message board - minutiae become magnified and patience becomes a lost art.

It is not an indictment of Chan Gailey, but rather an indictment of Ralph Wilson and his organization. Only a bonehead wouldn't be able to figure that out. I guess it wasn't simple enough for you to understand?

There have been plenty of coaches that came into Buffalo not looking so hot...

Marv Levy had a .430 winning percentage at KC coming in...and a subpar college coaching career...and he's the best coach in Buffalo history...so I mean a guy with a .560 and a boring college coaching career could be alright

Marv Levy had arguably the best GM in the NFL for last 25 years watching over the team, plus he hired a really great offensive coordinator.

The thing is: Marv Levy speaks volumes about what a head coach should be. A great motivator, know the rules, manange the game and make the correct hires on his staff.

He let his OC run the offense, his DC run the defense and since his background was in special teams, the Bills always had great special teams under Marv.

Not to put down what Marv Levy has accomplished with the Buffalo Bills. I highly doubt he could have achieved what he did in Buffalo without Bill Polian, perhaps even Ted Marchibroda.

That said, Chan Gailey knows his stuff on offense and will call plays, he will train his OC to takeover at some point. If Buddy Nix is even remotely as good as his background with the Chargers and AJ Smith indicates, the Bills should be in the playoffs in 2-3 years.

Just my take.

Huge difference between Gailey and Jauron. Gailey has been around winning programs consistently -- both as a head coach and a coordinator. I think that entitles him to receive the benefit of the doubt.

Now back to our regularly scheduled "everything about the Bills' organization sucks" programming.

Miserable f**cks, most of you...

Lock & Load, e. :thumbsup:

Some people would B word if they got hung with a brand new rope.

Again what purpose does it serve to fault the guy at this point? I just don't see what good can come from a post like this.

It serves no more purpose than saying Gailey is a proven winner and is clearly the savior this team has been needing for the past 10 (50?) years.

However, Gailey does have an extensive football history. In this case, it is not unreasonable to assume what he will achieve in Buffalo will closely resemble what he has been able to accomplish in the past.