Do you think Gailey can change Trent?

OK so what we have now is Trent, Fitz and Brohm. Per Nevergiveup, we might have Trent as QB next year.

Can The Chan fix what we have?? We know what we have in Fitz, he is a decent but not great backup and can win a couple of games if the starter gets hurt.

But right now I am unsure he can get Trent back to were he was before the Arizona game in 08.

If Chan can get Edwards to play at a decent level IMO it will be one of great coaching jobs in recent years. I think he would have a better shot at coaching Brohm up, at least he tried to get the ball to his wideouts in the one game he played.

what do y'all think???

I don't think fix is the proper term to use. I think the hope is that Gailey can cover up his flaws and boost his confidence to allow him to do what he does well. If they ran the ball consistently, added some playmakers (figured out how to use Parish, if it can be done and maybe draft a "water-bug" type player) Trent would be fine. He's probably not going to be throwing bombs all day, so Gailey will have to find a way to allow him to make quick reads on short to mid range throws and let the receivers make plays after the catch. Lee can do it. Roscoe should be able to do it (though admittedly hasn't yet). Nelson should be able to do it. And add one more player from the draft at the RB position (see water-big player from above) and that has potential. Obviously the key is for Gailey to make it work, but I thin that might "fix" Trent.

I think based on past experience, Trent has the best of chance of the three to succeed. I hope Chan can work his magic, Lynch and Parrish re-emerge as play-makers, Nelson continues to develop, Evans puts up pro bowl numbers, Hardy/Johnson become solid #2 receivers, we plug in a NFL-ready LT, and the entire team stays healthy...then we have a good chance of competing...yeah I know...I'm asking for the stars to align on this one :wallbash:

Give Trent or Brohm a little time and the offense is Way diffeent, The Oline sucks. Would have given any hall of famer fits. Upgrade the Oline and you'll have a QB that can keep you in games. And then you can develop or get you one that will win games...In other words, build the lines first.

OK so what we have now is Trent, Fitz and Brohm. Per Nevergiveup, we might have Trent as QB next year.

Can The Chan fix what we have?? We know what we have in Fitz, he is a decent but not great backup and can win a couple of games if the starter gets hurt.

But right now I am unsure he can get Trent back to were he was before the Arizona game in 08.

If Chan can get Edwards to play at a decent level IMO it will be one of great coaching jobs in recent years. I think he would have a better shot at coaching Brohm up, at least he tried to get the ball to his wideouts in the one game he played.

what do y'all think???

I am of the belief that we are looking at Brohm, Edwards and a rookie( or possibly a younger vet they bring in post draft if they can't draft the guy(s) they like)... I don't see Fitz as a short or long term answer.. He's a backup NFL qb... I am a Trent fan, so I really hope Gailey and his staff can get him right.. I think They can and when they do,the Bills will have a similar situation that the Chargers had a couple years ago with Drew and Rivers.... after we draft Clausen... What, I can dream right?

what do y'all think???

I Could not agree more! I really hope they can get a good perfromance out of T Edwards. They need to build the trenches. 1st Rnd LT 2nd NT 3rd WR or Tebow

I think Trent will be the man but if he stumbles then Tebow or draft a QB next year, this class is soft...

I don't think fix is the proper term to use. I think the hope is that Gailey can cover up his flaws and boost his confidence to allow him to do what he does well. If they ran the ball consistently, added some playmakers (figured out how to use Parish, if it can be done and maybe draft a "water-bug" type player) Trent would be fine. He's probably not going to be throwing bombs all day, so Gailey will have to find a way to allow him to make quick reads on short to mid range throws and let the receivers make plays after the catch. Lee can do it. Roscoe should be able to do it (though admittedly hasn't yet). Nelson should be able to do it. And add one more player from the draft at the RB position (see water-big player from above) and that has potential. Obviously the key is for Gailey to make it work, but I thin that might "fix" Trent.

I would consider Parrish as a water-bug player already, like you said coaches we had in the past have not figured a way to make him productive.

Lee Evans just has to make more plays for us. Period. We are paying him to much. Agree on Nelson, Hardy is going to have to step up this year big time.

BTW, Trent does needs to be coached up, that is what i meant by being fixed.

I am of the belief that we are looking at Brohm, Edwards and a rookie( or possibly a younger vet they bring in post draft if they can't draft the guy(s) they like)... I don't see Fitz as a short or long term answer.. He's a backup NFL qb... I am a Trent fan, so I really hope Gailey and his staff can get him right.. I think They can and when they do,the Bills will have a similar situation that the Chargers had a couple years ago with Drew and Rivers.... after we draft Clausen... What, I can dream right?
Right now I see Fitz as the backup to whoever wins the job.

I just don't see the Bills drafting Clausen right now , OT and NT I believe are the Bills top 2 choices in the draft. Maybe in the 3rd we take the best QB or LB left on the board.

My take on the Bills QBs

Losman early in his career was a reckless gunslinger who scrambled, improvised, and threw bombs. He played like a kid in a back yard.

Edwards early in his career was a quick accurate decision maker who rarely took a sack and it looked like he really understood the game. He was very analytical in his approach.

Fast forward to the end of their careers - both are hesitant and gun shy. Neither can read a defense. Losman never scrambles and Edwards seems confused. Both take sacks.

How do two completely different QBs with completely different games end up being the same QB after roughly the same amount of time under center?

THE SAME SH*T COACHES.

I dont want Edwards cut because he still may have a chance at turning it around and should be given an honest shot in camp. I dont really think Losman has anything to offer because he was always so damn inaccurate - which just wont fly in the NFL. He wouldnt resign here anyways.

My take on the Bills QBs

Losman early in his career was a reckless gunslinger who scrambled, improvised, and threw bombs. He played like a kid in a back yard.

Edwards early in his career was a quick accurate decision maker who rarely took a sack and it looked like he really understood the game. He was very analytical in his approach.

Fast forward to the end of their careers - both are hesitant and gun shy. Neither can read a defense. Losman never scrambles and Edwards seems confused. Both take sacks.

How do two completely different QBs with completely different games end up being the same QB after roughly the same amount of time under center?

THE SAME SH*T COACHES.

I dont want Edwards cut because he still may have a chance at turning it around and should be given an honest shot in camp. I dont really think Losman has anything to offer because he was always so damn inaccurate - which just wont fly in the NFL. He wouldnt resign here anyways.

I agree, the Bills coaches did not do him any favors, plus Trent lost his mojo behind a awful line and shady coaching.

Maybe practicing against the 3-4 will help Trent figure it out.

Loserman all he could do was throw deep out to Lee. He was a terrible draft choice.

what do y'all think???

I don't think Curly, Larry, or Moe is the solution here! You get a experienced FA or trade for a experienced QB and draft a QB in the first few rounds if there is one the Bill's like?? I guess that's why they are going to get some time with Tebow, McCoy and whomever else. You hope to get a couple years out of the veteran you pick up who should be a good role model to mentor the QB you draft and develop. Meanwhile you draft an above average OLT as early as you can in the draft and pick up one with experience in FA for added depth if the price isn't too steep and there's one available.

I don't see how the Bills will fill all the holes this year through the draft without heavily pursuing the FA market. I can see the Bill's moving around in the draft order and possibly trading up and down in this draft. Don't be surprised if they don't move down a time or two to pick up added draft picks. I don't always like moving down because the greatest spectrum of

players are at your disposal with the higher pick, but we have some holes to fill and the organization has to tread carefully and draft smartly. I hope Trent Edwards goes away or is the third string this upcoming year!

Good coaching is everything IMO.

Take a look at Joe Montana for a min. Bill Walsh designed the west coast offense and had Mike Holmgren for his OC.

When Joe would throw an interception the two would go over the reason why and discuss it with Joe, then make changes to the play or eliminate it from the play book. If you notice they designed passing plays so that the receiver was always between the ball and the defender when caught.

Steve Young went 2-14 at Tampa Bay and then went to SF and won a SB in that West Coast offense. He went to a really good team and learned under the best.

Mike Homgren went on to mentor Brett Farve into the best QB to ever play in the NFL, JMO.

Mike Shanahan was the SF OC for a while and then went to Denver and taught John Elway the WCO, it took a few years but the Bronco's won a SB.

So yea, I think if Chan Gailey is even a decent offensive minded coach he can help Trent Edwards, along with Fitz and Brohm. Mostly because the Bills have lacked a legit offensive coordinator since Mike Mularkey.

what do y'all think???

Chan has a reputation for fixing quarterbacks. I say we let him have a season fixing the ones we have. In the draft we need to focus on the O line.

Trent Edwards is the only QB on the roster capable of being a decent starter in the NFL. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to stay healthy. Right now the guy is injury prone & I'd hate to rely on him. He can be straightened out & play well, but until he puts 2-3 injury free seasons together, I'd be reluctant to count on the guy, no matter how good he looks in a stretch of game, like the way he started the 2008 season.

Trent is at a crossroads & can go in one of 2 directions. I'm familiar with the early careers of 2 NFL QBs. Which way Trent ends up, only time will tell. QB 1 is Rob Johnson-he was always injury prone in the NFL & eventually they took their toll & he never amounted to anything as a QB. The other QB is Phil Simms. Simms was injury prone early in his career, his 3rd, 4th & 5th seasons were washed out due to a string of injuries that started in the 2nd half of the 1981 season. In fact his 4th year, 1982, he missed the entire season after a preseason injury. However beginning in year 6 he started a string where he had 3 straight years without missing any games and only missed 1,1 & 2 the next 3 seasons. If Trent goes the Rob Johnson way, he'll be out of the league in 2-3 years. If he goes the Simms way, he'll be starting for us for the next 5-10 years. Ask any Giants fan what they though of Phil Simms after 5 seasons & they'd tell you they never thought he'd be anything & was a wasted pick.

I don't think Curly, Larry, or Moe is the solution here! You get a experienced FA or trade for a experienced QB and draft a QB in the first few rounds if there is one the Bill's like?? I guess that's why they are going to get some time with Tebow, McCoy and whomever else. You hope to get a couple years out of the veteran you pick up who should be a good role model to mentor the QB you draft and develop. Meanwhile you draft an above average OLT as early as you can in the draft and pick up one with experience in FA for added depth if the price isn't too steep and there's one available.

I don't see how the Bills will fill all the holes this year through the draft without heavily pursuing the FA market. I can see the Bill's moving around in the draft order and possibly trading up and down in this draft. Don't be surprised if they don't move down a time or two to pick up added draft picks. I don't always like moving down because the greatest spectrum of

players are at your disposal with the higher pick, but we have some holes to fill and the organization has to tread carefully and draft smartly. I hope Trent Edwards goes away or is the third string this upcoming year!

Curly, Larry and Moe had a damn nice career if you ask me lol

The Vet you speak of is Fitz, he is the role model, that why he is the backup. I could see the Bills taking Tebow or Mccoy, in the 3rd round but not sooner. that gives you 4 QB's for training camp.

I would like to see them move down so long as they can get a good OT early.

I think you won't see any more movement in the free agent market until just before the draft, none of the free agent QB's excite me so I don't think that will happen.

Can The Chan fix what we have??

At this point, it's all guesswork.

We don't even know whether we will end up with another QB on the roster, such as McNabb, Garcia, Clausen, Bradford, or even Tebow or one of the later-round guys as a project player.

If we get somebody who might be able to start this year, i.e. the first four guys listed above, Gailey isn't likely to spend a lot of time building a system around Trent or Brohm.

All guesswork. But by all means, go for it.

what do y'all think???

Can we stop with the Trent BS already? Look the guy SUCKS there is no one on this earth that is going to make him a better QB

Can we stop with the Trent BS already? Look the guy SUCKS there is no one on this earth that is going to make him a better QB

Trent Edwards will be in the hall of fame, you will see. I don't understand all the hate for him. He has done his best and he loves Buffalo and even helped clean up the downtown.

He was never given a fair chance and has been jerked around by the Bills. This guy is the next Favre! If he gets away from us he will come back and kick our asses for the next 10 years and likely win multiple Superbowls.

what do y'all think???

You can polish a turd and make it shine, but alas, it will still be a turd.

ANY QB can flourish in the Gailey running offense...look at Kordell Stewart...1997 first year starting with Gailey threw 21 tds and 3000 yards...ranked sixth in the league on offense...Stewart never threw for more than 20 td's again in his career...then he went to MIA had Jay Fiedler...threw for 20 td's in 2001, never again threw for twenty td's in his career...went 11-5 back to back seasons and landed the HC job in Dallas...Thigpen in KC threw 18 td's and probably won't be a starter anywhere again...all of these guys Thigpen, Stewart, and Fiedler were not very good QB's at all...and without Gailey it showed...Trent has far more skills in the passing game than any of them...he'll throw 20 td's this year easily...

ANY QB can flourish in the Gailey running offense...look at Kordell Stewart...1997 first year starting with Gailey threw 21 tds and 3000 yards...ranked sixth in the league on offense...Stewart never threw for more than 20 td's again in his career...then he went to MIA had Jay Fiedler...threw for 20 td's in 2001, never again threw for twenty td's in his career...went 11-5 back to back seasons and landed the HC job in Dallas...Thigpen in KC threw 18 td's and probably won't be a starter anywhere again...all of these guys Thigpen, Stewart, and Fiedler were not very good QB's at all...and without Gailey it showed...Trent has far more skills in the passing game than any of them...he'll throw 20 td's this year easily...

Yo, if Trent throws for 20 TD's and 3000 yds I will buy you some beers at a local soon to be all nude skrippers club

You're right.

Trent may have more skills than the QBs you mentioned, but those other QB's had something Trent does not: balls.

Chan can devise game plans and schemes around a QB with a limited skill set, but I seriously doubt Chan has the ability to devise an offense around a skill set referred to as "p*ssy".

If anything, Fitzpatrick and Brohm have much better chance of being productive under Chan.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if Edwards is traded or cut before the regular season starts.

You're right.

Trent may have more skills than the QBs you mentioned, but those other QB's had something Trent does not: balls.

Chan can devise game plans and schemes around a QB with a limited skill set, but I seriously doubt Chan has the ability to devise an offense around a skill set referred to as "p*ssy".

If anything, Fitzpatrick and Brohm have much better chance of being productive under Chan.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if Edwards is traded or cut before the regular season starts.

Yeah, Trentative is like a deer in headlights out there...but you win a couple games, you run the ball efficiently and all of a sudden you get your swagger back...you can gain confidence just as easily as you lose it...

I agree that Trent or whoever starts at QB this year will have a decent productive year, in the 20 td and 3000yds range as mentionned in previous posts.

Just the fact that Chan Gailey comes in and will be calling the plays on offense is already a huge upgrade from last year disaster of firing the OC the last week of training camp and naming AVP to run the offense.

Yeah, Trentative is like a deer in headlights out there...but you win a couple games, you run the ball efficiently and all of a sudden you get your swagger back...you can gain confidence just as easily as you lose it...

In order to gain something back, you have to "lose" it in the first place.

And you cannot lose something you never had.

Despite all the hoopla, Trentative never had a "swagger".

What he does have is an accurate arm and a quick release. Beyond that, what else does he have?

3-4 defenses seem to confuse the crap out of him (spare me the coaching excuse. He never played against a 3-4 in college?)

And I can't shake the statement AVP made when Fitzpatrick was announced as the starter.

To paraphrase, AVP mentioned being able to open up the playbook and to attempt things they could not before.

Makes me wonder why Jauron was so insistent on running a 'pop warner offense'.

What he does have is an accurate arm and a quick release. Beyond that, what else does he have?

3-4 defenses seem to confuse the crap out of him (spare me the coaching excuse. He never played against a 3-4 in college?)

And I can't shake the statement AVP made when Fitzpatrick was announced as the starter.

To paraphrase, AVP mentioned being able to open up the playbook and to attempt things they could not before.

Really?...never had confidence out there huh?...hmmmm...did someone become a Bills fan just THIS season????...

now watch the last TD throw...announcers..."Man can he throw the deep ball or what?....45 yard from the LOS"....kay...so that's more than accurate...he's got arm strength as well...next...

quick release...

also ran the forty in 4.72....Fitzy? 4.86....yup he's faster as well....after thirty games Trent 24 tds....Fitz 21...okay so..maybe the coaching staff did say they could do more with Fitz...but maybe that's why they are out of a job now...

I think based on past experience, Trent has the best of chance of the three to succeed. I hope Chan can work his magic, Lynch and Parrish re-emerge as play-makers, Nelson continues to develop, Evans puts up pro bowl numbers, Hardy/Johnson become solid #2 receivers, we plug in a NFL-ready LT, and the entire team stays healthy...then we have a good chance of competing...yeah I know...I'm asking for the stars to align on this one :wallbash:

Holy S*#T are you kidding me the stars align for the Bills? that only happens in Pittsburgh!They had one season not being in the playoffs im sure they are up for a superbowl win

It might be because Fitz has played in a decent team with a top QB in Carson Palmer and a decent offense and coaches in Cincy, he has had some experience on a 1/2 decent team.

Trent was cast into a situation very few QB's could develop in, simply look who was teaching the guy.

They took an OC from a team where the QB is under constant duress and getting beaten up, and never really called plays in his 3 years of being an OC, Steve Fairchild.

Then he quits and then Jauron promotes the QB coach under him, who stunk even worse at calling plays and running an offense.

Then Jauron fires Schonert three weeks before the season starts, (while getting rid of his top 3 O linemen) and promotes the QB coach again from the same system that has stunk for three years.

Trent Edwards has lacked a decent coach since he has been in Buffalo, so let Gailey work with him and see what happens.

what do y'all think???

Trent's biggest issues were not mechanical but mental.

I believe that he has the physical tools but his concussion affected him severely in two ways.

1) his processing ability was affected and slower after the injury. There was no comparison from his early pre injury to post injury decisions. He constantly checked down because his processing time was slow and he forced his reads to be reduced to only primary and check down.

2) his personality changed and where was once confident and in control he became quiet. This was widely reported his huddle control in the early years was one of his strengths...he showed confidence and leadership. He changed to quiet and introverted.

I hope the year of healing can bring him back...if not then it is time to say good bye.

My take on the Bills QBs

THE SAME SH*T COACHES.

You bring up some interesting points about JP and TE. I would have to chalk it up to 2 things:

1. A putrid revolving door of an OL season after season

2. A coaching staff that kept pushing pudding through a sieve: Mess of goop in = mess of goop out

The conservative in me says that TE deserves at least an honest evaluation in the new offensive scheme. If his confidence and decision making are broken, so be it. Cut him & move on. Fitz was serviceable last season and has experience. But that experience is with the previous playbook, so it may not account for a whole lot with the new playbook. The Bills had better have more in their pocket than a guy whose skills are seriously questionable, a guy who is a journeyman QB and a complete unknown. If they think they can get a winning season out of one of those guys this year, fine. But they had better have an insurance policy for next year, in place BEFORE next year.

Trent's biggest issues were not mechanical but mental.

I believe that he has the physical tools but his concussion affected him severely in two ways.

1) his processing ability was affected and slower after the injury. There was no comparison from his early pre injury to post injury decisions. He constantly checked down because his processing time was slow and he forced his reads to be reduced to only primary and check down.

2) his personality changed and where was once confident and in control he became quiet. This was widely reported his huddle control in the early years was one of his strengths...he showed confidence and leadership. He changed to quiet and introverted.

I hope the year of healing can bring him back...if not then it is time to say good bye.

First I don't think the Bills medical staff would even let him back on the field if they thought that he had any issues with his brain, besides they do give those baseline test before the season now so I don't think that's the problem.

Now if it's true that he became quiet in the huddle THAT is a major problem. Maybe he lost faith in what the coaches were telling him to do and that is understandable due to the fact that Juaron wanted to run the no huddle THEN they killed it during the season. He could just told himself this shyt is not gonna work and it effected his play.

I hope with better coaching he can gain his mojo back. If he doesn't he will need a change to another team.

No, Gailey cannot change Trent.

But if Trent is the starter, then my seat will change from occupied to empty.

That's a shame, because I don't see what choice the team has at the moment. I think the one QB that they really want in the draft will be gone by the 9th pick. Clausen is way too much of a gamble at #9.

In free agency, the only QB even worth looking at would be McNabb, and the Eagles will want a lot in return, that's IF

McNabb would want to come here. Given the state of the O-Line, I don't think he would. When a team is carting off starting O-lineman on Sunday, calling street free agents on Sunday night, and those street free agents are starting the following Sunday, it's safe to say that the O-line is a priority in the draft. A team just can't function that way.

So unfortunatley it seems like you will be giving up your seat this year.

actually watching highlights, he was good before juaron ruined him. i never realized how absurdly fast his release was. I now do hope that gailey can help him get his confidence back. with the right coaching and playbook, it shouldn't be too hard for him to regain his confidence, and if that happens then it should be a good plan in qb.