Where has the time gone?

I'm sitting waiting for another season to begin and I realize how full circle life has become. When I first became a Bills' fan I was just a mere lad, a young teenager without a clue and so were the Bills. Then the mid '80s came and I was newly married with a couple of beautiful young children and life was full of promise and so were the Bills.

There was nothing I couldn't do or at least that was what I thought but so did the Bills. I had no business being married, I was too young and immature and the Bills had no business threatening to be contenders, they were the team from a small market tundra. No glamour, no big city lights and nothing exotic about this winter wasteland but they were full of promise and so was I. Then the early '90s came and the Bills went boom and I went bust but I had the Bills in my heart and they gave me some strange strength that allowed me to persavere. Then after 4 straight denials in the Big Show, my beloved Bills started to dim but I personally started to shine. It was my turn, in my heart, to lend them a hand. I moved to the enemy territory, SW Florida, and while they started to flounder, I started to flourish and I was proud to still be a Bills' fan.

Once the Bills started to descend they never spiraled back up. It's been over a decade now and there still is no end in sight in the near future but I still find myself a big of a fan as I ever was but just more tempered. No big expectations, no grand thoughts of winning a Super Bowl anytime soon, if ever in my lifetime, but also no long term regrets of making choosing Buffalo as my lifetime favorite team. In some sick way I think that I like the pain, it reflects life in some odd way.

I failed to mention that my life has taken a turn itself since the "Great Depression". My little kids are now grown and gone, my wife's health took a dump and that prosperity that I was once enjoying, it's gone but I'll tell you what isn't and that is my love affair with this perrennial loser that's called the Buffalo Bills. They're my team. I realize that it's like any kind of contract, marriage or committment that you make. You honor it.

I faithfully read this board, even when I don't post. Lots of times it's with frustration, other times with great joy. I'm powerless, I can't help or improve my team one iota but I like to think that when I vent, comment or express an idea on this board that it somehow makes a difference. It doesn't. I guess that I would like to have nobody who has or is a Bills' fan give up or lose hope with this team. I can tell you firsthand that the ups and downs with this team has been a thrill and it has been worth the crazy ride and I just wanted to share this thought, feeling, and sentiment with the younger fans here. Don't give up and maybe in thirty years or so you'll be posting something similiar to this.

I just wanted to share this thought, feeling, and sentiment with the younger fans here. Don't give up and maybe in thirty BEERS or so you'll be posting something similiar to this.

Fixed that for you...

In all seriousness though.... nice post

I'm sitting waiting for another season to begin and I realize how full circle life has become. When I first became a Bills' fan I was just a mere lad, a young teenager without a clue and so were the Bills. Then the mid '80s came and I was newly married with a couple of beautiful young children and life was full of promise and so were the Bills.

There was nothing I couldn't do or at least that was what I thought but so did the Bills. I had no business being married, I was too young and immature and the Bills had no business threatening to be contenders, they were the team from a small market tundra. No glamour, no big city lights and nothing exotic about this winter wasteland but they were full of promise and so was I. Then the early '90s came and the Bills went boom and I went bust but I had the Bills in my heart and they gave me some strange strength that allowed me o persavere. Then after 4 straight denials in the Big Show, my beloved Bills started to dim but I personally started to shine. It was my turn, in my heart, to lend them a hand. I moved to the enemy territory, SW Florida, and while they started to flounder, I started to flourish and I was proud to still be a Bills' fan.

Once the Bills started to descend they never spiraled back up. It's been over a decade now and there still is no end in sight in the near future but I still find myself a big of a fan as I ever was but just more tempered. No big expectations, no grand thoughts of winning a Super Bowl anytime soon, if ever in my lifetime, but also no long term regrets of making choosing Buffalo as my lifetime favorite team. In some sick way I think that I like the pain, it reflects life in some odd way.

I failed to mention that my life has taken a turn itself since the "Great Depression". My little kids are now grown and gone, my wife's health took a dump and that prosperity that I was once enjoying, it's gone but I'll tell you what isn't and that is my love affair with this perrennial loser that's called the Buffalo Bills. They're my team. I realize that it's like any kind of contract, marriage or committment that you make. You honor it.

I faithfully read this board, even when I don't post. Lots of times it's with frustration, other times with great joy. I'm powerless, I can't help or improve my team one iota but I like to think that when I vent, comment or express an idea on this board that it somehow makes a difference. It doesn't. I guess that I would like to have nobody who has or is a Bills' fan give up or lose hope with this team. I can tell you firsthand that the ups and downs with this team has been a thrill and it has been worth the crazy ride and I just wanted to share this thought, feeling, and sentiment with the younger fans here. Don't give up and maybe in thirty years or so you'll be posting something similiar to this.

Weren't you one of the guys who started a thread and said he was done? That you couldn't take it any more, blah blah. If I am wrong then i apologize.

Tipster - I'm with you.....

Cost of blue #32 sweatshirt Dad bought me in 1973 - $3

Cost of pizza and wings every Sunday to watch Bills with Dad for 35 years - who knows

Cost of Zubaz pants and Bills gear Dad bought all the grandkids over the years- $hundreds

Cost of Bills tickets to the one game in 1996 Dad actually wanted to go and watch at Rich - $25 each

Cost of 4 beers at the Ralph in 2007 so my sons and I could toast Dad's memory and love of the Bills - PRICELESS

Thanks Dad!

"Da Bills - they are an ugly mutt, but they will always be MY MUTT" :thumbsup:

Tipster - I'm with you.....

Cost of blue #32 sweatshirt Dad bought me in 1973 - $3

Cost of pizza and wings every Sunday to watch Bills with Dad for 35 years - who knows

Cost of Zubaz pants and Bills gear Dad bought all the grandkids over the years- $hundreds

Cost of Bills tickets to the one game in 1996 Dad actually wanted to go and watch at Rich - $25 each

Cost of 4 beers at the Ralph in 2007 so my sons and I could toast Dad's memory and love of the Bills - PRICELESS

Thanks Dad!

"Da Bills - they are an ugly mutt, but they will always be MY MUTT" :thumbsup:

You did your father proud BillsfaninSixburgh because no matter how long you live, where you are in this world you a Bills' fan because of your father and that is what I'm talking about. This legacy is now passed down to your kids because of you. I'm proud just to be even talking to you.

Whatchyou know about the 90's Bills,

Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, crazy skills

Bruce Smith up in yo face with another sack,

You can't run the ball, your whole game plan's wack

(and a verse from 2006 that we've since abandoned)

J.P. to Lee Evans, Willis on the run,

It's a brand new version of the K-Gun

In all seriousness, when I was a kid, not to get too deep on you, but maybe my Dad had a little trouble communicating with me, so in 1985 (I was six), he took me to 1 game, 1986- 4 and then in 1987, all the home non-strike games and then in 1988, we got seasons, which we kept until 1995 (perfect timing, right?) I can tell you that I wouldn't be as close with my Dad if it wasn't for the Buffalo Bills. I love the Bills somewhere between an immediate family member and a relative.

Time actually stands still during the offseason. These are the doldrums of the Stadium Wall.

PTR

Promo - C'mon, these are some classic "I love you man" moments brought to you by Bud Light. You need to "feel the love/share the pain" that makes us die-hard Bills fans! The only people that can really relate to us are Chicago Cubs fans.

Cheer up! I'm still sad that Dave Thomas retired last year too! What ever happened to Biff Beeper?

Here's to you and all the gang at Rocketship 7!!! :thumbsup:

For those of us who have been Bills fans since the sixties, we realized that the Bills suckiness was cyclical. Every seven years or so, Ralph would get tired of losing, or get lucky and the Bills would hire (and rehire) Lou Saban, hire Chuck Knox, bring in Bill Polian and the Bills would get good and make the play-offs.

This is currently the longest the Bills have EVER gone without making the play-offs and there is no end really in sight.

This once proud franchise is now depressing the fan base.

But we are fans and hope the new guys can do better.

GO BILLS

There was nothing I couldn't do or at least that was what I thought but so did the Bills. I had no business being married, I was too young and immature and the Bills had no business threatening to be contenders, they were the team from a small market tundra. No glamour, no big city lights and nothing exotic about this winter wasteland but they were full of promise and so was I. Then the early '90s came and the Bills went boom and I went bust but I had the Bills in my heart and they gave me some strange strength that allowed me o persavere. Then after 4 straight denials in the Big Show, my beloved Bills started to dim but I personally started to shine. It was my turn, in my heart, to lend them a hand. I moved to the enemy territory, SW Florida, and while they started to flounder, I started to flourish and I was proud to still be a Bills' fan.

A very nice read, Tipster. It struck more than one harmonic on this old guitar...

A very nice read, Tipster. It struck more than one harmonic on this old guitar...

Same here. I've been away from Buffalo for awhile now, but started a family tradition of visiting for the home opener every season, which has been going strong ever since I left. The Bills bring my family and friends together, much moreso than if we didn't share this common bond. In some cases, I still see friends who grew up on my block or went to high school with that I probably wouldn't ever see otherwise.

But weren't you the one that said the Bills organization was a joke and irrelevant? If I'm wrong then I apologize.

I've had my share of rants and complaints of past administrators but I never swayed in my loyalty to the franchise or it's teams. I can't believe that everyone on this board has been completely satisfied and content with every decision and personnel move from every administrator that has graced our organization.

If there is ANY kind of doubt or confusion to my loyalty to this franchise then I think that there are some long standing members on this board that can attest if I'm a fair weather fan.

Then let the good people of Billsville speak!

I don't think there are many fairweather Bills fans...seeing as how there's never any fair weather in Buffalo or in being a fan of the franchise...hehehehe...don't matter though...I once tried to abandon being a Bills fan for my hometown Patriots...yeah that last one week...it was disgusting trying to root for them...just gross...

Also, I'm not all sentimental about it...I came into being a fan when Bruce and Kelly were taring it up...I was around 12 and since I am one of those ghetto single mother things...had nothing to do with a father son type thing...it was dude, the Bills are a football machine...sweet...I'll like them...and I never stopped cheering...I bought my Tod Collins Jersey and my EMO jerseys and my Flutie Flakes and a Rob Johnson jersey...and of Course TKO...I have my Bryce Paup poster...and my lucky Bills hat that isn't so damn lucky...I can't wait to destroy the league again like when I first starting watching football...I miss them days

I've had my share of rants and complaints of past administrators but I never swayed in my loyalty to the franchise or it's teams. I can't believe that everyone on this board has been completely satisfied and content with every decision and personnel move from every administrator that has graced our organization.

If there is ANY kind of doubt or confusion to my loyalty to this franchise then I think that there are some long standing members on this board that can attest if I'm a fair weather fan.

Then the good people of Billsville speak!

Just kidding.

It was me who said that.

And I'm right.

But I'm still a Bills fan anyway.

I enjoyed your post. It's fine to have unconditional love for the team. What's wrong is hating fellow fans who question the organizations incompetence. It's still a product.

Then the good people of Billsville speak!

Tipster - you are a Bills fan of the highest order!

I had a saying about my kid brother growing up. He was a snotty nose punk who would rile up the neighborhood and then come running home to me to protect him. He was my brother, so I couldn't let anyone else beat him up. So I used to tell them.....

Hey, he's my brother.If he needs a beating, I'll give it to him, BUT YOU DONT TOUCH HIM!

Being a Bills fan is the same way. They rile Bills Nation up, the rest of the country ridicules them. But like Tipster, I have defended them along the way as I moved around the country. But when they need a verbal beating, we'll give them the beating they deserve because they are just like family.

So if you read my posts, you now understand my frequent sign-off line....

"Da Bills......they're an ugly mutt, but they're MY MUTT!!" :blink:

BTW - My kid brother is now a snotty nose adult, but he is still a BILLS FAN too!

I remember me and a friend of mine were driving to the playoff game against Houston back in 1993, when a light came on in my car. We ignored it, as we always did...it came on all the time, usually about 30 minutes after I started driving.

The light came on again on the way home- and this time we couldn't ignore it. You see, what the light said was 'Oil/Choke'

We nearly went off the road laughing.

What amazes me is how much my life has changed since the Bills were last in the playoffs.

Since the Throw-Forward, I have done the following:

(1) Graduated high school

(2) Seen my last three grandparents die

(3) Graduated college

(4) Gotten engaged

(5) Gotten married

(6) Graduated grad school

(7) Bought my first house

(and I am about to have my first child)

What amazes me is how much my life has changed since the Bills were last in the playoffs.

Since the Throw-Forward, I have done the following:

(1) Graduated high school

(2) Seen my last three grandparents die

(3) Graduated college

(4) Gotten engaged

(5) Gotten married

(6) Graduated grad school

(7) Bought my first house

(and I am about to have my first child)

I've been a fan of the Bills since 1972 and the the scary part is that they never won a Super Bowl. If I could only witness this event then I think that I would have some kind of closure to my life. It's actually kind of pathetic.

I've been a fan of the Bills since 1972 and the the scary part is that they never won a Super Bowl. If I could only witness this event then I think that I would have some kind of closure to my life. It's actually kind of pathetic.

the true measure of your bill's fan-ish-ness is if you hoped the Saints would choke like a monica on a president so that they wouldn't leave the fraternity of those-that-have-been-close-but-have-never-won-a-Super-Bowl (it's not a gang, it's a club).

personally, i was pulling for the colts in spite of myself, i kinda like the peyton-mystique with the losses and all, but couldn't hate 'em when the Saints won. something about drew breezzzzzzz's story was heart-warming.

good news---i was pretty jealous 20 minutes later because there's not much of my heart left for this kind of thing.

great read, i enjoyed it, and that perverse satisfaction is definitely a big part of it for me.