smerlas to run for office?

Get those statements in a youtube video and the easiest job in the world becomes campaign manager for whomever Smerlas would be challenging in the election.

kj

Either way, it's a moot point, as he would be running for office in Massachusetts, not Buffalo.

Fred would come to the Bills field house on game days to meet fans and sign autographs and then go back to Boston on his radio gig on WEEI and insult the city, the team, the owner and the fans.

He's got the perfect charater traits and IQ for politics, tho...

I'll move back to the area just to vote against the traitorous bastard. :blink:

Why the soft skin? I insult Western New York daily and I live here. It doesn't mean I hate the place. Here's an insult - Louise Slaughter represents Western New York. You and me. She's older than Ralph and has done what? She will never be voted out. Ever. That is an insult to you and me. At least Fred stood up to everyone when we sucked. Louise doesn't know nor care what a nose tackle is.

"What it means to be a Bill...said Fred Smerlas ...."I have nothing but good memories of playing for the Bills. It's something I cherish. When I was playing for the Pats, I'd wear a Bills T-shirt under my uniform."

Jim Haslett 1984...on the team's unpopularity: "I have five dogs. They are the only people in Buffalo who like me."

......See, for years, Haslett and teammate Fred Smerlas co-hosted a weekly show on a Buffalo radio station. It sounds unbelievably legendary. Like, were I blogging back then, I'd be forced to transcribe the entire thing every week. A caller once asked Smerlas about his offseason conditioning routine; "I carry two six-packs and chase women around the streets," Smerlas said. Some fans were outraged by the duo joking around during losing seasons"

excerpt from Jim Haslett stepped on Terry Bradshaw's head

His political views not withstanding, Smerlas is a douchebag, through and through.

He was a terrific player, when he could stay on-sides...but, yes, I concur, a major douche, unlike almost any douche seen in Buffalo sports...

Why the soft skin? I insult Western New York daily and I live here. It doesn't mean I hate the place. Here's an insult - Louise Slaughter represents Western New York. You and me. She's older than Ralph and has done what? She will never be voted out. Ever. That is an insult to you and me. At least Fred stood up to everyone when we sucked. Louise doesn't know nor care what a nose tackle is.

here here!, nothing would please me , or serve the area more , would be for smerlas to run and beat that old bag!

If you honestly haven't got his point, he's talking about the fact that Smerlas lived in New England, not Buffalo the past many years, and that he often says lousy things about Buffalo on his New England-based radio show.

If you already know this and are somehow pushing some other agenda, say it out loud.

And Louise Slaughter moved to western NY from Texas and was elected that year to fill Barber Conable's seat. That district used to include much of Monroe County. Now she represents Niagra Falls and the extreme western left part of NYS after the Congressional districts were reapportioned. She's a carpetbagger from Texas. She hasn't lost her Texas twang even though she's been representing NY for about twenty years.

"What it means to be a Bill...said Fred Smerlas ...."I have nothing but good memories of playing for the Bills. It's something I cherish. When I was playing for the Pats, I'd wear a Bills T-shirt under my uniform."

Jim Haslett 1984...on the team's unpopularity: "I have five dogs. They are the only people in Buffalo who like me."

Wow, that sounds like pretty harsh criticism of Buffalo and its fans.

My google search didn't turn up much.

Anybody got a link to those youtube clips? Or all the other Smerlas digs at Buff?

On the bright side, if Smerlas left Massachusetts to live in NY and run for office, I wouldn't have to listen to that inarticulate moron yelling on my radio anymore. His schtick is tired no matter what your political beliefs are. Our gain is your loss NY!

The Haslett and Smerlas show was raw and real and such good stuff for the times.

Man, I do remember it fondly...and it did kind of stink when you would hear Smerlas rip the team, city and fans during his years on the radio.

PTR is right, Smerlas' comments did make the rounds here at TSW.