Wikipedia down...NO!!!

buffaloaggie

Forget that..what about all the school children that steal material from it, put it into this or that report, claim it as their own, and get those fat GPAs? :thumbdown:

there is actually nothing in the world easier then catching a wikipedia plagiarist. Type a sentence into google and bam...you get to fail a kid.

there is actually nothing in the world easier then catching a wikipedia plagiarist. Type a sentence into google and bam...you get to fail a kid.

Assuming the teacher gives a crap. It's not like they can be fired for incompetence in the US.

Depends on how clever the kid is. Smarter ones never quote verbatim.

Problem: Many phrases that people type, words, people who don't haunt Wiki at all, can be caught and assumed to be a plagiarist. How does one work through that?

What is the fate of the person that reads up on something, only to be told that some Wiki thing was published independent of the kid's work?

Assuming the teacher gives a crap. It's not they can be fired for incompetence in the US.

post tenure? totally right. pre-tenure? insanely easy to get canned.

besides, we love catching plagiarists. it's the only time we can ever take negative action on a bad student

Assuming the teacher gives a crap. It's not like they can be fired for incompetence in the US.

Here in Cincy, errant teachers get housed for years in a building, playing ping-pong, and drawing the money and the benefits.

Not that any school system, or government entity dare say that most of the problem are because of crappy parental "units"...

That's viewed as racist, hateful, etc. And doing such doesn't help the vote count...

Problem: Many phrases that people type, words, people who don't haunt Wiki at all, can be caught and assumed to be a plagiarist. How does one work through that?

What is the fate of the person that reads up on something, only to be told that some Wiki thing was published independent of the kid's work?

clever kids don't plagiarize.

also, if they take research from wikipedia/wherever and don't cite the source it still counts as plagiarism.

in my experience the plagiarism is usually kids does a cut and paste job. Whole paper is just the wikipedia page with their name on top. then you get to watch them try and convince you it was all a coincidence. good fun.

NJ Sue's !@#$ed!!

Ha... That's a blast from the past.

I'm sure she knows the conversion rate or whatever it was that she was asking. Now its on to more important things, like if Jesse James' page has been updated with his current marital status.

You are right. Dumb kids who know how to play the game. Honor roll by quota. Even if they are unprepared dolts, make sure they graduate somehow so as to keep the federal $$$ flowing in.

The City of Cincinnati wised up several years ago - they used to report the number of dropouts that entered the high schools as freshmen. They got in line, and the dropout numbers are in line with the popular way - the rate is now put out as seniors that left.

Colleges play their own games - but it's beyond dispute that kids entering are much more unprepared than in years past. The El-Hi's, certainly the change in ethics in society, conspire.

I could go on and on about theories - but that's old ground. Let's not fight, and you must do the best you can. I've no doubt you do that, and that is good. I'm not an enemy. but here where I live, the school systems has long exploited kids, having them shout and scream on corners or ride the beds of roving pickup trucks saying things like "Give us more Money!" for this or that property increase tax issue.

They, in the last 2 years put forth 4 ballot votes, May, June, August - you name, it hoping that the paying public would be worn down. They won.

They did, along the way, in the name of cost savings, discharge their $79K per year "Director of Quality Assurance". That director had a staff of zero...

With the previous property tax increase - for the children, of course, they spent $1M+ on a new football stadium. It has some premium seating for our esteemed educational officials, of course.

When I lived in the county just north of my current residency, I got a phone call every year, urging me to enroll my children in the Fed. lunch program. I have no kids. I learned that they realized 20 cents+ per meal.

They yowled for a tax property increase for a brand-new building. When members of the paying public pointed out that the existing high school was built with expansion in mind - bigger girders, foundation work, etc, to build upward, the teacher's union launched the mean-spirited rhetoric. And exploited the students for their purposes.

Signs in opposition were torn away in the night. Tires were flattened, windows were smashed, obscenities were scrawled on citizen's possessions.

man, I taught at Oklahoma State. While I was there about $700million was spent on the football team and in 3 years I was never given a raise or had a classroom that worked. My last semester they didn't even give me a chair. Add indifferent students. hostile students. outright liars? it's why we burn out and stop caring. In my classes of 22 there would be 4-5 would made effort. breaks you down after a bit.

So us college profs do not have a union. we get tenure based on student evaluations and the quality of our research. We also do not have to pass a single student if they don't deserve it. Public schools have a lot of trouble failing students because of issues of federal funding. But that breaks down forces responsibility onto students and parents...there would be a revolution without the scapegoats.

man, I taught at Oklahoma State. While I was there about $700million was spent on the football team and in 3 years I was never given a raise or had a classroom that worked. My last semester they didn't even give me a chair. Add indifferent students. hostile students. outright liars? it's why we burn out and stop caring. In my classes of 22 there would be 4-5 would made effort. breaks you down after a bit.

So us college profs do not have a union. we get tenure based on student evaluations and the quality of our research. We also do not have to pass a single student if they don't deserve it. Public schools have a lot of trouble failing students because of issues of federal funding. But that breaks down forces responsibility onto students and parents...there would be a revolution without the scapegoats.

Am I the only one that has a problem that this was written by someone who calls themself a college professor?

Forget that..what about all the school children that steal material from it, put it into this or that report, claim it as their own, and get those fat GPAs? :thumbdown:

Not much difference from when they copied encyclopedia articles back when I was young. Or copied straight from the cave walls back when you were in school. It's just a little bit easier now.

;) I'm just bustin' your stones AJ. I'm sure at one time you cared.

:thumbdown: yeah man, i can tell. If I could make a living at it I'd totally care. An adjunct makes about $2K per class per semester. A full course load plus summer sessions gets me $20K before taxes. $100,000 in student loans for a $20,000 job.

sob story!

5th grade, I wrote a 20 page paper on Lincoln. By basically paraphrasing an entire book I read about him.

In 4th grade I wrote a 3-4 page paper on Balboa by basically copying most of what was in the encyclopedia. Teacher asked me to read the first page of my paper in front of the class. I did so proudly. Then she called up another kid to read the first page of his paper on Balboa.

They were pretty much the same word-for-word. She had already read both papers and set us up to make an example of us in front of the class. :thumbdown:

IMO Wikipedia is good for skimming very basic, general information. To use it properly, you need to pay attention to the warnings and use the actual linked resource instead of the Wiki article itself. IMO it is a great collection of links with a general summary of them.

There are tons of issues with it, you have bias creeping in as some editors hog pages and control all content. Of course, any encyclopedia is exempt from such bias. If in doubt, check the talk pages and the logs. I admit there are tons of biased articles, but there are few quite a few non biased sources available.

Despite my many doubts about Wikipedia as the source they claim to be, it is terribly useful.

In 4th grade I wrote a 3-4 page paper on Balboa by basically copying most of what was in the encyclopedia. Teacher asked me to read the first page of my paper in front of the class. I did so proudly. Then she called up another kid to read the first page of his paper on Balboa.

Yo Adrian!

They were pretty much the same word-for-word. She had already read both papers and set us up to make an example of us in front of the class. :(

Why did you do a report on an island in Newport Beach? :ph34r:

IMO Wikipedia is good for skimming very basic, general information. To use it properly, you need to pay attention to the warnings and use the actual linked resource instead of the Wiki article itself. IMO it is a great collection of links with a general summary of them.

There are tons of issues with it, you have bias creeping in as some editors hog pages and control all content. Of course, any encyclopedia is exempt from such bias. If in doubt, check the talk pages and the logs. I admit there are tons of biased articles, but there are few quite a few non biased sources available.

Despite my many doubts about Wikipedia as the source they claim to be, it is terribly useful.

That's what I use it for. The links for each page are great, so when you find something that you want to use you can open up that article or link that wikipedia uses. It works well.

I guess im one of the smarter ones :blink: