Goodell proposes overtime change. Finally!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...-analysis_N.htm

This still has to be voted on, and there are some guys against it, but it sounds like they have enough votes. I LOVE this initiative. Its for playoff games only but I think if it goes well they'll move it to regular season.

Not as good as the college OT format, but my understanding is that if you win the coin toss and end up scoring a TD then the game is over. Same as now.

However, if you kick a field goal then the other team gets to receive the ball and the OT plays on. The idea is that there are far too many games being won simply by guessing heads or tails correctly.

Its proven that you have a significantly better chance in the NFL if you win the coin toss, which is lame. You should decide the game fairly on the field, not from somebody tossing up a coin.

Even Polian said he was a traditionalist but he was for the idea. I hope it flies.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...-analysis_N.htm

This still has to be voted on, and there are some guys against it, but it sounds like they have enough votes. I LOVE this initiative. Its for playoff games only but I think if it goes well they'll move it to regular season.

Not as good as the college OT format, but my understanding is that if you win the coin toss and end up scoring a TD then the game is over. Same as now.

However, if you kick a field goal then the other team gets to receive the ball and the OT plays on. The idea is that there are far too many games being won simply by guessing heads or tails correctly.

Its proven that you have a significantly better chance in the NFL if you win the coin toss, which is lame. You should decide the game fairly on the field, not from somebody tossing up a coin.

Even Polian said he was a traditionalist but he was for the idea. I hope it flies.

I'm pretty sure the percentage is 50/50 on winning in overtime. But I do like the proposed changes

I'm pretty sure the percentage is 50/50 on winning in overtime. But I do like the proposed changes

"From the 2000 through 2007 regular seasons, there have been 124 overtime games. In every single game except one (I believe), the team that won the toss elected to receive. And those receiving teams won 60% of the time (and tied once). That's a relatively large advantage, particularly when compared to home field advantage."

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/10/ho...flip-in-ot.html

That one time the team elected not to receive, I believe was COACH MARTAY in Detroit vs. Da Bears.

They should just have the team that wins the coin toss get the option of just starting at their own 10. That's enough of a challenge to drive for a FG from there that I doubt many people would find the OT victory unfair. The problem is starting at the 30 or 35 and then driving just 30 yards for a game winning FG without the other team taking the field.

They proposed way of changing the overtime rules is half assed if you ask me. Changing a rule means something is broken. I guess it isn't broken enough to change it for the regular season games where OT games will determine a WIN that will probably get a team into the playoffs.

If you are going to change it change it for all the games. Not just the playoffs. I hope it gets turned down.

I would like the idea of another 15 minute quarter who ever is winning at end is winner if still tied go to sudden death OT as currently is

They can't do that due to TV. The games will run to long.

I don't like the new rules and here's why. Say the team that receives the kickoff drives down and does kick a FG. Now the other team gets the ball and guess what, they go for it on every 4th down. Even if the defense stops them on 3 downs inside the 20, they would go for it on 4th. Never happens in a real game. changes the whole dynamic of the game for OT. Don't like it. If the problem is (and I dont' there is there is a problem) the field is too short, have them kickoff from the 35 or 40 for OT.

I also side with the players not liking it because after 60 minutes of football, guys are tired. Playing beyond what they do now WILL cause more injuries. Nobody want that.

Coaches obviously don't think of it as a huge disadvantage. how many times have you seen a team sit on to get to OT?

The coin toss doesn't decide the game. If your defense can't stop the other teams offense, you lose. During the course of the game you've had multiple opportunities to win in regulation and didn't. It's got to end sometime.

I also think its goofy that it only applies to post season. What about the last game of the season when 2 tames are vying for a playoff spot and only one gets in. Can we apply the rule to that too? What happens if the team receiving the kick runs the KO back for a TD. Shouldn't Peyton Manning or whoever get a chance too? It's not fair !!

(Praying to football gods) Please don't change this ....

bills_fan_in_raleighPosted Today, 01:23 PM I would like the idea of another 15 minute quarter who ever is winning at end is winner if still tied go to sudden death OT as currently is

They can't do that due to TV. The games will run to long.

I understand, but I like B_F_i_r's idea best!

"From the 2000 through 2007 regular seasons, there have been 124 overtime games. In every single game except one (I believe), the team that won the toss elected to receive. And those receiving teams won 60% of the time (and tied once). That's a relatively large advantage, particularly when compared to home field advantage."

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/10/ho...flip-in-ot.html

That one time the team elected not to receive, I believe was COACH MARTAY in Detroit vs. Da Bears.

the sample they are using is from 1994 to present, and while the team the first touches does win about 60% of the time, only half of that or roughly 30% is on the first drive, and the % of the time where the team that wins the toss ends up winning the game on the first drive by a fg is even lower.

what can we conclude from this? 70% of the time BOTH TEAMS GET THE BALL. leave OT alone, please, we're approaching a retarded cross-breeding of flag football and college with all these new rules

I don't like the new rules and here's why. Say the team that receives the kickoff drives down and does kick a FG. Now the other team gets the ball and guess what, they go for it on every 4th down. Even if the defense stops them on 3 downs inside the 20, they would go for it on 4th. Never happens in a real game. changes the whole dynamic of the game for OT. Don't like it. If the problem is (and I dont' there is there is a problem) the field is too short, have them kickoff from the 35 or 40 for OT.

if it was the 4th quarter and a team had the ball (during their "last possession") down by 3pts, they would go for it on every fourth down

overtime in general changes the dynamic of the game and that cant be avoided IMO. In regulation, the clock is the only thing that can end a game....in OT its as simple as a field goal 2 minutes in

They should just have the team that wins the coin toss get the option of just starting at their own 10. That's enough of a challenge to drive for a FG from there that I doubt many people would find the OT victory unfair. The problem is starting at the 30 or 35 and then driving just 30 yards for a game winning FG without the other team taking the field.

Then that team goes 3 and out and has to punt from their endzone. How is that fair?

The league is stupid. They change the rules to favor the offense because they want higher scoring games and then cry because a large percentage of OT wins are determined by the first drive.

Stupid.

It is idiotic. If they want a better system that will end the game quickly- which is the key, because broadcast time is the overriding factor, here is what they should do.

Make overtime a 4 minute game with a pair of two minute halves. Each team is guaranteed a posession and it won't take long.

Question: what about onside kicks?

If you get a chance to match a FG drive (but not a TD drive), what is to stop teams from onside kicking it every time to start OT now? If they get it, great. If they don't, they STILL have a chance to match so long as the other team doesn't score a TD.