Why not Todd Collins?

Didn't Ron Johnson have one good game as a backup? I feel Marv did Todd Collins wrong, but that does not mean he didn't stink then and well, unlike wine QB's don't age well.

Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson aged pretty well. As did Kurt Warner.

I agree though. Todd sucked here. But that was a long time ago. He's gone through 12 or training camps and seasons studying film and throwing. He's gotten better.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring him back as what? Backup? Don't we have enough backups already? One of the worst QB signings by the Bills of all time and you want him back? Good grief..

they once said that about two guys .... Favre and Young

What is there to lose? Trent may get a shot at winning the job back and IMO Fitz isn't it.

Todd Collins wasnt by anymeans the worst QB signing in franchise history. . He also played and started and won the AFC championship game (I believe the Divisional game as well) when Brad Johnson was hurt.

While he wasnt the greatest, most of us hate him because it was the begining of the end for the franchise. He just wasnt Jim Kelly so everybody got their torches and pitch forks. he was ditched because he wasnt a franchise QB, but more than a servicable back up. With that said I think we have 3 of those kind of QB's on the roster

I guess it needs to be mentioned at this point (actually it should have been mentioned by the second post on this thread) that Todd Collins announced during the season that the 2009 season would be his last.

Not that he won't change his mind but at the moment, he's retired. Don't know if he's filed his retirement papers with the league yet...

No Collins jersey, but I do have a #80 Billy Brooks jersey...that didn't get much use.

Obviously he was horrible while he was here but he's become a pretty serviceable backup, he's been around the league a while. I'd rather have him than Fitzpatrick.

Even as a backup Collins has hardly ever played. He is not a great backup. His career was not like Frank Rieich who went something like 9-0 as a backup for Kelly, including the greatest comeback ever.

If we bring in another quarterback it should be a prospect we can develop. Move forward please.

Even as a backup Collins has hardly ever played. He is not a great backup. His career was not like Frank Rieich who went something like 9-0 as a backup for Kelly, including the greatest comeback ever.

If we bring in another quarterback it should be a prospect we can develop. Move forward please.

Reich was 9-0 as Kelly's backup?

Amazing what gets posted here. The actual truth of the matter is that during the regular season (that's where you have to win enough games to make the playoffs), Reich was 4-4 in games he started for the Bills. After he left Buffalo, his win-loss record as a starter was 1-11. He was 5-15 overall as an NFL starter in the regular season. He did have one great playoff game, though.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReicFr00.htm

Reich was 9-0 as Kelly's backup?

Amazing what gets posted here. The actual truth of the matter is that during the regular season (that's where you have to win enough games to make the playoffs), Reich was 4-4 in games he started for the Bills. After he left Buffalo, his win-loss record as a starter was 1-11. He was 5-15 overall as an NFL starter in the regular season. He did have one great playoff game, though.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReicFr00.htm

Please stop trying to confuse us with facts :rolleyes:

The "Collins stinks" comments come from fans that don't know much about football. Collins isn't a pro bowl QB and he can't be Peyton Manning and lead the team somewhere. He is a journeyman that can help the team as a backup and be a spot starter. He is better than most of the QB's we have had in the last decade, including everyone's favorite midget whiner.

People always complain about getting warm weather QB's and when the opportunity to get a guy that has been successful in cold weather, we don't want that either. Truly the best, smartest fans in the history of the universe

Bring him back as what? Backup? Don't we have enough backups already? One of the worst QB signings by the Bills of all time and you want him back? Good grief..

Well, they drafted him... Yeah, and so signed him.

Getting rid of Collins was, in my view, the most detrimental move this organization has made since I have been watching in the late 70's:

--He was never given a chance, a legitimate opportunity. (Probably some of the same wild eyed Bills fans who want to get rid of Lynch, Edwards. Williams... are the same ones who wanted Collins out: throw the bums out!)

--The Bills let JIM KELLY go because they had so much confidence in Collins

--It started a loooong line of inadequate quarterbacks for the Bills that persists to this day, one after another, that has made the Bills, again, one of the least successful teams in the NFL for the last decade plus

--Those quarterbacks, none of them working out, have cost us a huge cache of high draft picks and money that could have been used to strengthen the Bills. Shoot, the picks given up for Rob Johnson alone (while Collins, 25?, was still on team) is almost in itself a reason to call the move to get rid of Collins one of the worst of all time. And then, consider all of the waste that has continued, from Johnson to Bledsoe to Losman to (maybe) Edwards.

--Those picks and money would have enabled this team, with strong quarterback play by Collins, to be a much more solid team, in my view, a perennial playoff team still, if the other personnel moves were decent.

I first saw Collins in a game at Rich stadium during his second year, when Kelly was out, looking like one of the most poised young quarterbacks I could recall ever seeing--standing in pocket with extreme pressure, leading the Bills to a victory, running the show like a seasoned veteran. Then, the first year he was a starter, being hung out to dry, replaced by ALEX VAN PELT, even after showing he could be very good, leading the Bills to one of the their best comebacks ever, again, looking like a much more experience quarterback than he was.

The offense--the organization, direction, play calling--was horrible that year, and Collins was the scapegoat for dan henning's (?) atrocious year. Rob Johnson would then replace Todd Collins.

Collins, in my view, would still be starting for the Bills, should be, and we would be a dramatically better team--with the quarterback we need, and all of the wasted picks and money on chump quarterbacks, that could've been used productively.

The Redskins only real success in the last decade has been when Collins, because of an injury to Campbell, was starting. The Redskins, too, as foolish as the Bills, giving a chump one chance after another when they have had the quarterback all along who could've led them to the promised land.