With Davis signing and possibly Edwards

I would love to see a OT taken early in the draft, but now having a front line including Kyle williams, Stroud, Johnson, and Edwards, and LB's of Mitchell, Davis, Schobel, Maybin, Kelsay, Poz, we still need that NT to plug the middle. If we could get Dan Williams in the 1st, or cody or Cam thomas in the 2nd, I think out defense would be MUCH improved. I actually am beginning to think the new FO actually knows what they are doing

Edwards will start at end with either Stroud, Williams or Spencer Johnson. NT is obviously still a need. I think you can cross Rolando McClain off our board with the signing of Davis because McClain is an ILB. If schobel returns, you may be able to cross OLB off the list for the draft as well. I think we are going Offense with our first pick, then nabbing one of the Nose tackles still on the board in the second round.

I would love to see a OT taken early in the draft, but now having a front line including Kyle williams, Stroud, Johnson, and Edwards, and LB's of Mitchell, Davis, Schobel, Maybin, Kelsay, Poz, we still need that NT to plug the middle. If we could get Dan Williams in the 1st, or cody or Cam thomas in the 2nd, I think out defense would be MUCH improved. I actually am beginning to think the new FO actually knows what they are doing

Noticed the new avatar eh? I figured with the signing of Davis that McClain is now an afterthought. :doh:

I see I'm probably going against the flow here, but I think the Bills might already prove to be decent against the run with the additions and the change in scheme.

What I see this defense needing more than anything is a pass rushing linebacker.

Not until we add a true nose tackle. If we get someone like Cody, then we'll be decent against the run.

With todays signings I think it makes McClain and Dan Williams less likely at #9. Although, I never really thought Dan Williams was likely to be picked at 9 anyway, especially with similar NT prospects to likely be had in the 2nd.

McClain though is still potential choice, less likely than before, but I think he is graded high enough that they could still take him if he is there and no one else they like better is.

I actually am really starting to think we will take Spiller and then move Lynch for more picks in this draft once we do. Okung, Bulaga, and Trent will all likely be gone by the time we pick, and maybe even Campbell. Even if Campbell is there, he is too much of a project and I think they would pull the trigger on the best offensive playmaker in the draft with Spiller over him easily.

100% for sure 2 of the OT's will be chosen. Plus Suh, McCoy and Bradford are certainly gone. So theres 5 of the top 8...the question is who will the other 3 players be that will be taken ahead of us? The most likely candidates are Berry, Trent, Claussen, Spiller, Campbell, Haden, Juan Pierre, and maybe even Taylor Mays to Oak as Al Davis might pull the trigger and take him.

If Trent Williams is there I would think we definitely take him. I just dont think he will be there. I think he goes in the top 8. Thats 6 down...I also think Berry is too good to fall out of the top 8...so theres 7. I also think the Skins will take Claussen...theres the top 8.

That leaves us with a likely selection of one of these 4 players...Spiller, Campbell, McClain, Dan Williams. Of those 4, Spiller and McClain are clearly the better players, but Spiller to me would have the bigger impact because our offense is clearly our weakest unit. He is more dynamic than Lynch, and our D was already solid before we added Davis and Edwards today. So with our injured players back, the emergence of Byrd, the prospects of Maybin, and the signings today our foucs will most likely be offense at #9 and Spiller is the best offensive prospect in this draft.

Plus Chan is very familiar with how talented Spiller is, so I think our pick will be Spiller unless somehow Bulaga slips or Trent Williams is there (both of which I think will not be).

Edwards will start at end with either Stroud, Williams or Spencer Johnson. NT is obviously still a need. I think you can cross Rolando McClain off our board with the signing of Davis because McClain is an ILB. If schobel returns, you may be able to cross OLB off the list for the draft as well. I think we are going Offense with our first pick, then nabbing one of the Nose tackles still on the board in the second round.

I think some people are too short sighted... Davis is a one yr stop gap at best, schoebel has never played olb and is nearing the end of his career... Drafting is not for 2010.. It's for the next 6,8,10 yrs.. I would not be shocked one bit if they drafted McClain or an oslb.... With the exception of corner or safety, they should go with the beat available football player at 9 or trade out for more picks... I don't care if they trade roster players to acquire more pick andove up ... Get good football players..... But don't draft based on 2010.

I see I'm probably going against the flow here, but I think the Bills might already prove to be decent against the run with the additions and the change in scheme.

What I see this defense needing more than anything is a pass rushing linebacker.

Technically, they spent a first round pick on one last year. I'd much rather see them go for a NT (Dan Williams) in the first round, that is far more important than OLB. JMO

With todays signings I think it makes McClain and Dan Williams less likely at #9. Although, I never really thought Dan Williams was likely to be picked at 9 anyway, especially with similar NT prospects to likely be had in the 2nd.

McClain though is still potential choice, less likely than before, but I think he is graded high enough that they could still take him if he is there and no one else they like better is.

I actually am really starting to think we will take Spiller and then move Lynch for more picks in this draft once we do. Okung, Bulaga, and Trent will all likely be gone by the time we pick, and maybe even Campbell. Even if Campbell is there, he is too much of a project and I think they would pull the trigger on the best offensive playmaker in the draft with Spiller over him easily.

100% for sure 2 of the OT's will be chosen. Plus Suh, McCoy and Bradford are certainly gone. So theres 5 of the top 8...the question is who will the other 3 players be that will be taken ahead of us? The most likely candidates are Berry, Trent, Claussen, Spiller, Campbell, Haden, Juan Pierre, and maybe even Taylor Mays to Oak as Al Davis might pull the trigger and take him.

If Trent Williams is there I would think we definitely take him. I just dont think he will be there. I think he goes in the top 8. Thats 6 down...I also think Berry is too good to fall out of the top 8...so theres 7. I also think the Skins will take Claussen...theres the top 8.

That leaves us with a likely selection of one of these 4 players...Spiller, Campbell, McClain, Dan Williams. Of those 4, Spiller and McClain are clearly the better players, but Spiller to me would have the bigger impact because our offense is clearly our weakest unit. He is more dynamic than Lynch, and our D was already solid before we added Davis and Edwards today. So with our injured players back, the emergence of Byrd, the prospects of Maybin, and the signings today our foucs will most likely be offense at #9 and Spiller is the best offensive prospect in this draft.

Plus Chan is very familiar with how talented Spiller is, so I think our pick will be Spiller unless somehow Bulaga slips or Trent Williams is there (both of which I think will not be).

Well said, sir! :doh: :doh:

This is similar to an argument for Spiller I made on another thread - he is likely Best Player Available at that point.

Although in the other thread, most who were on board with Spiller were conditionally on board - "if we move Lynch..." which it seems you feel too. This is where we differ. If we move Lynch, fine, but I don't hinge picking Spiller on moving Lynch.

Last year, when the Vikes had AP, Chester Taylor and Harvin, they were all heavily involved. I think the Bills could do the same with Freddie, Lynch and Spiller, especially with someone like Gailey who actually knows how to construct an offense to fit his players.

I agree.

I think Kyle Williams will surprise people at NT...he plays with great leverage, and the position really isn't a whole lot different from the NT he played in the 4-3. Granted, I think he's more suited to being a 1-gap penetrating DT, but that doesn't mean he can't handle the position.

Furthermore, unless guys like Maybin and Chris Ellis step up, I don't see anyone on the team that's suited to rushing from a 2-point stance as often as they'll need to as an OLB.

Technically, they spent a first round pick on one last year. I'd much rather see them go for a NT (Dan Williams) in the first round, that is far more important than OLB. JMO

NT is a need, for sure, but I really think that they can find one in the 2nd (Cody, if he's there), 3rd (maybe Thomas falls that far), or even 4th round (Torell Troup).

edwards signed last noght 4 year deal. go to this mornings balt sun and you can read it for yourself!

I think some people are too short sighted... Davis is a one yr stop gap at best, schoebel has never played olb and is nearing the end of his career... Drafting is not for 2010.. It's for the next 6,8,10 yrs.. I would not be shocked one bit if they drafted McClain or an oslb.... With the exception of corner or safety, they should go with the beat available football player at 9 or trade out for more picks... I don't care if they trade roster players to acquire more pick andove up ... Get good football players..... But don't draft based on 2010.

Exactly what I was thinking. Davis may be good, but we need people for the future not just the present. The best top OT available or McClain at 9 and I'm a happy man. With our injuries at LB last year, I don't think you can have too many.

This is one of those annoying threads at TSW where I actually have to consider almost all the posts because you guys all seem to be raising good points for your arguments.

...stop this. It is hurting my head. :doh:

Truly, you think it would shift the thought process on the draft, but I really could see them finishing out the defense and trying to shore up the OL line somehows (ya like that english?) else.

I hate all of you who are MAKING me consider Spiller, because I am starting to have daydreams about him in a Bills uniform running and catching touchdowns.

:doh:

Peace, my TSW brothers and sisters. :w00t:

I agree.

I think Kyle Williams will surprise people at NT...he plays with great leverage, and the position really isn't a whole lot different from the NT he played in the 4-3. Granted, I think he's more suited to being a 1-gap penetrating DT, but that doesn't mean he can't handle the position.

Furthermore, unless guys like Maybin and Chris Ellis step up, I don't see anyone on the team that's suited to rushing from a 2-point stance as often as they'll need to as an OLB.

NT is a need, for sure, but I really think that they can find one in the 2nd (Cody, if he's there), 3rd (maybe Thomas falls that far), or even 4th round (Torell Troup).

How do you feel about their ability in coverage? To me, that is the biggest concern because 4-3 DE's really don't do that. Do we have a 3-4 olb that can cover? With Davis signing, does it make sense to move Mitchell out there (esp if Schoebel retires)?

How do you feel about their ability in coverage? To me, that is the biggest concern because 4-3 DE's really don't do that. Do we have a 3-4 olb that can cover? With Davis signing, does it make sense to move Mitchell out there (esp if Schoebel retires)?

I think that is one of the major reasons for Davis to be signed. If Schobel stays and makes the transition to OLB successfully, then Davis competes with Mitchell and Poz for the two ILB spots, the loser is the main backup. If Schobel does retire (or gets traded), then Mitchell can slide outside and compete with a draft pick and Maybin for the two OLB spots.

To all those who think Spiller may be our guy at #9, I am starting to think that way as well. As shown, he could very well be the best player available and is too good to pass on, especially with an offensive minded coach. I also agree that we don't need to move Lynch to draft him. Giving Gailey three guys to work with could work wonders.

At this point, I'm at least 90% sure the pick will be an offensive player. The only darkhorse candidates would be guys who project to OLB in a 3-4 like Sergio Kindle, Dan Morgan and Pierre-Paul. You can get the same type of NT in the 2nd round as anyone you would reach for at 9 so please, stop the NT at 9 talk.

To all those who think Spiller may be our guy at #9, I am starting to think that way as well. As shown, he could very well be the best player available and is too good to pass on, especially with an offensive minded coach. I also agree that we don't need to move Lynch to draft him. Giving Gailey three guys to work with could work wonders.

I think we are 1000 times more likely to take Tebow at #9 than we are to take Spiller (and I think there isn't much of a chance we take Tebow at #9).

With our pick at 9, I expect OT, Clausen/Bradford or trade down. Nix is not going to make a luxury pick with so many other weaknesses.