New York Times Football Blog

Hadn't seen this posted yet. Got it off of PFT.

The writer, Andy Benoit, is young but acclaimed. Before criticizing him for not being an ex-scout, GM, etc. read the piece. It's quite short but I think the takes are pretty accurate and at least, backup many of the opinions voiced on this board. At the same time, they're the opinions of an "outsider" and that's what makes it interesting.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03...-film-revealed/

Nothing earth shaking but thought you'd all be interested. And his opinions are based upon video review.

The writer, Andy Benoit, is young but acclaimed. Before criticizing him for not being an ex-scout, GM, etc. read the piece. It's quite short but I think the takes are pretty accurate and at least, backup many of the opinions voiced on this board. At the same time, they're the opinions of an "outsider" and that's what makes it interesting.

Nothing earth shaking but thought you'd all be interested. And his opinions are based upon video review.

not exactly inspiring!

I need a drink

This isn't breaking news. The Bills gotta lotta holes. Question is: What are they going to do about it? And looking at the big picture like this, it isn't even remotely conceivable they could turn things around in one draft or free-agency period. A demonstrated willingness to improve - and maybe eight wins - would be a good start this year.

What I make note of here is the comments on Byrd. I, like the author, am not quite ready to anoint him as a star simply based on his gaudy 2009 numbers - many of his picks were easy IMO. Whether they were just thrown to him or whether Byrd put himself in a position to make them look easy, is an open question for smarter football minds than I. Time will tell.

As I consider my level of football knowledge, skimpy though it is, I'm comforted to know that I'm not the only one who thinks Byrd may be a bit overrated at this stage of the game.

It's a good read, thanks for posting. Especially 'liked' what he had to say about the o-line and QBs.

This team has so very far to go...we're a minor league team in many respects.

It's a good read, thanks for posting. Especially 'liked' what he had to say about the o-line and QBs.

This team has so very far to go...we're a minor league team in many respects.

It really is . It is a team with virtually no impact players. Lets hold off on Bryd being one until he plays a full season.

Results from multi-generational systemic organizational ineptitude are very predictable. With the Bills you don't need to review the video. Just watch the game and trust your eyes. Ugly is ugly. :thumbsup:

A pretty accurate assessment, except that Wood should be back by training camp. If the Bills can find a LT and a NT in the draft and Gailey does something with Edwards/Fitz/Brohm, the could be okay. Although WR is still a concern, until Hardy and/or Johnson prove themselves.

Fairly accurate. However, I do consistently find it amazing that the Bills can win 6 or 7 games in a season with talent this poor.

Will they hit bottom like the Rams or Lions? It COULD be coming.

Interesting that you raise the question of whether they've bottomed out yet. Quite a few people on TSW are predicting fewer wins this year.

An interesting question is (and I hate to be the one asking the question) can the Bills win 3-5 games this year and still be considered on "the right track?"

While the guy hits the nail on the head for several things this part is just idiotic;

Rookie FS Jairus Byrd wasn’t quite as dynamic as his numbers would indicate – a few of his league-leading nine interceptions were gimme picks – but showed promising range.

A player doesn't rack up 9 int's in 11 starts by being lucky. Byrd put himself in a position to be at the right place at the right time. His field awareness is what led to 9 int's. His first 5 could possibly be argued as being lucky but after making 3 picks against the Jets in his fourth start teams were trying to avoid him. JMO

The other thing I disagree with;

TE should be given another chance as a starter. I think his years under Jauron were not as much his fault as it was a very poor offensive coaching staff and nobody being able to protect him. It destroyed his confidence and if Gailey can rebuild that he has a chance of becoming a solid starter. JMO

While the guy hits the nail on the head for several things this part is just idiotic;

Rookie FS Jairus Byrd wasn’t quite as dynamic as his numbers would indicate – a few of his league-leading nine interceptions were gimme picks – but showed promising range.

A player doesn't rack up 9 int's in 11 starts by being lucky. Byrd put himself in a position to be at the right place at the right time. His field awareness is what led to 9 int's. His first 5 could possibly be argued as being lucky but after making 3 picks against the Jets in his fourth start teams were trying to avoid him. JMO

TE should be given another chance as a starter. I think his years under Jauron were not as much his fault as it was a very poor offensive coaching staff and nobody being able to protect him. It destroyed his confidence and if Gailey can rebuild that he has a chance of becoming a solid starter. JMO

:)

Some people are dum!!!!!!!! They obviously must be putting him behind all the other pro bowlers we had !! OOHH wait we didn't have any!! BYRDMANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

What I make note of here is the comments on Byrd. I, like the author, am not quite ready to anoint him as a star simply based on his gaudy 2009 numbers - many of his picks were easy IMO. Whether they were just thrown to him or whether Byrd put himself in a position to make them look easy, is an open question for smarter football minds than I. Time will tell.

As I consider my level of football knowledge, skimpy though it is, I'm comforted to know that I'm not the only one who thinks Byrd may be a bit overrated at this stage of the game.

I kind of agree... I like Byrd, he was one of the only highlights of the last dismal season... but he looked great when he was great, and pretty bad when he wasn't... remember Henry Jones tied for the league lead in int's in his rookie season, and had very few after that, in his long career...if Byrd turns out to be half the player that Jones did, I will be happy...but I could just as easily see him becoming the Bills fans whipping boy of 2010, particularly if Whitner is traded.

Gotta disagree with you about Byrd's luck. He was phenomenally lucky. Here is a guy who virtually didn't play the first two games, played 54 of 74 defensive snaps the next game, 70 of 75 the fourth and was almost always on the field after that till his injury reduced him to 30/70 in week 11, 42 of 75 in week 12, 33/67 in week 13, 45/77 in week 14 and 27/63 in week 15 and didn't play week 16 or 17. (See profootballfocus.com)

That means that he essentially played enough snaps to come out to 9 games total. And had 9 INTs. That doesn't seem lucky to you? Seriously?

Knowing that the all-time best season for INTs was Night Train Lane with 14, it doesn't seem somewhat lucky to you that Byrd almost kept pace with Lane? In his first season, after missing a lot of training camp? Lane did it in a 12 game season, so that's even more remarkable, but only three guys ever had 13 in a season and nine players ever had 12. And you think Byrd wasn't lucky? Add in that except for Lester Hayes's season in 1980 of 13, every 13 or 14 INT season came in 1952 or before, when passing games were much less sophisticated than they are now.

Don't get me wrong, anyone with eyes could see it wasn't all luck, the guy never got his hands on a ball but didn't intercept it, and several were phenomenal reflex plays. Still, there was a huge amount of luck involved and two of them were questionable in terms of whether he should have done it (4th down INTs). He is going to be a very good one, but surely you can see that he had a major amount of luck this season.

As for the NYT blog, it was right on.

One thing that he noted that a lot of people on the boards didn't seem to understand is that neither Wood nor Levitre had good years. Both showed promise, both are in a position to improve a lot in the future, but neither guy was all that great, "nasty attitude" or not.

The stats on profootballfocus.com back this up.

Thanks for posting it, SanJoseBillsFan.

Thank you for a very ballsy post. I was furious when Byrd was drafted, and it increased tenfold when the team who picked AFTER us received a 2010 first round pick in a trade. That said, he played very well last year and this is beyond dispute. Now given the this, this season will probably tell the story of whether or not he was worth more than a first round pick in the 10 draft.

Actually, this topic could support its own thread. Byrd is part of the reason I am stunned when people want to draft Berry, calling him the "best player available." Byrd had 9 picks which again was great, but did our win total increase or decrease? When your team is weak (like ours), and you use your best resources on defensive backs (like good ol' Marv and Mauron), and you play in the elements (like we do), winning is virtually impossible. It simply will not happen, and the Bills have proven this by failing to make the playoffs time and again.

Personally, I hope that Nix/Gailey blow it all up and dump players such as Parrish, Whitner, and possibly even McKelvin if they have any substantial trade value (this too is very debatable). We will know next month if the new administration has a clue. Here's to hoping that they do! :)

Ehh... Byrd is a playmaker, but he is a unfinished product (tackling, run defense). His assessment on Byrd was pretty good. Some picks last year he didn't move his feet and the QB hit him in the numbers (see Delhomme).

As far as Trent, he is done. He doesn't know how to read a defense and plays without confidence. What is going to change this season? He will have a OL that is most likely worse, and less WRs to work with. He couldn't hit open receivers down the field last year... what happens when they're not open?

I kind of agree... I like Byrd, he was one of the only highlights of the last dismal season... but he looked great when he was great, and pretty bad when he wasn't... remember Henry Jones tied for the league lead in int's in his rookie season, and had very few after that, in his long career...if Byrd turns out to be half the player that Jones did, I will be happy...but I could just as easily see him becoming the Bills fans whipping boy of 2010, particularly if Whitner is traded.

It was actually Jones's 2nd season, he rarely played as a rookie. As a rookie, the Bills used a lot of cover 2 to prevent him from being beat over top. After that year he was in the box and in run support, kinda like what the Bills have asked Whitner to do vs. what they ask Wilson to do (one won't get get many picks in his role where the other will in his role).