What's Your Favorite Sandwich?

Fried Bologna on a toasted kimelwick roll with provolone, black olives and mayo. Has to be the thick bologna.

You from BFLO? Ever been to the old Frank's Resturant (near the corner of Harlem and Clinton in West Seneca)? I think it is now called The Whistle Stop or something. I used to go there as a child... Frankie grew up with my father... He had a fried bologna sandwich which he called "The Helicopter"... There are a still a few place that use his recipe... A friend of mine owns the Elma Towne Grill (on Clinton)... And he still uses Frankie's "Helicpoter" recipe... Try it some day if you are in the area! :ph34r:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody remember a bar named Eddie G's? Fillmore or Bailey? Close to William St.

Great, great cheeseburgers. I don't know if it was the roll or the cheese that did it.

If you ever want to read a good book about BFLO, Cincy may I suggest:

The Last Fine Time

The Last Fine Time, Verlyn Klinkenborg, 1991

By turns, an elegy, a celebration, and a social history, The Last Fine Time is a tour de force of lyrical style. Verlyn Klinkenborg chronicles the life of a family-owned restaurant in Buffalo, New York, from its days as a prewar Polish tavern to its reincarnation as George & Eddie's, a swank nightspot serving highballs and French-fried shrimp to a generation of optimistic and prosperous Americans. In the inevitable dimming of the neon sign outside the restaurant, we see both the passing of an old world way of life and the end to the postwar exuberance that was Eddie Wenzek's "last fine time."

I am also a former Laker, Matty. What a great school/city. Sub Shop was a weekly stop after Mug Night for me. Had a place called Zonies that had all kinds of calzones that was awesome too. You doing the Bridge Street Run this year? :ph34r:

Think my bridge st days are behind me now but those were good times.

My favorite sandwich is the Southside Slopes. Awesome! Rated #5 by MAXIM magazine in the best sandwiches in the country.

Here's write up from Maxim:

5. The Southside Slopes Headwich ($7.95)

Fat Head’s Saloon, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

This brew pub starts its tribute to Polish culture with a human-head-size bun. Appropriately enough, it’s empty, so they add a 10 oz. kielbasa and pierogi. Cheese, grilled onions, and horseradish sauce top off this monster.”Most people can’t finish it,” boasts owner Glenn Benigni. Hmm…them’s fightin’ words. (1805 E. Carson St., 412-431-7433; fatheads.com)

Why does everything that gets put in our mouths these days have to be !@#$ing huge. :devil:

No wonder there are so many fat pigs.

Because people can't moderate themselves. Nothing better than a Southside Slopes after a night of heavy drinking, but I'm sure there are people who eat there 3xs a week.

Because people can't moderate themselves. Nothing better than a Southside Slopes after a night of heavy drinking, but I'm sure there are people who eat there 3xs a week.

So true. Sadly it has always been the way our society feeds their children. The natural mechanism (moderating) is shot all the hell by the time the child reaches kindergarten.

Children are taught to "eat to please." To eat everyting on their plate "or else." Portions a lot have no say in determining.

I can't believe there aren't any votes for a Fluffer-nutter. I used to looooove those back in the "stone" age. :rolleyes:

My mother would make me a PB and Fluff sandwhich everyday in elementary school. MMMMMMMHHHHMMMMMM.

Do they even still make that stuff??

My mother would make me a PB and Fluff sandwhich everyday in elementary school. MMMMMMMHHHHMMMMMM.

Do they even still make that stuff??

That is a "fluffernutter" sandwich. And yuck! What are you are crazy New Englander?:

It is particularly popular in the Northeastern United States and has been proposed as the official Massachusetts state sandwich.

Next thing yoiu are gonna say is that you like Nutella... :rolleyes::lol:

I kid, of course I am only joking! :lol:

That is a "fluffernutter" sandwich. And yuck! What are you are crazy New Englander?:

It is particularly popular in the Northeastern United States and has been proposed as the official Massachusetts state sandwich.

Next thing yoiu are gonna say is that you like Nutella... :lol::lol:

I kid, of course I am only joking! :doh:

Actually i had Nutella the other day on a puffed wheat thing-a-ma-jig i got from Wegmans, DELICIOUS!!! :rolleyes: