Scouts take on OL Green

Yes, "adequate" in both the run and pass game is an improvement and what we should strive for. :wallbash:

Yeah, when you don't have anyone adequate on the roster now that Butler's gone.

I'll copy my own post from another thread:

Overall, he's not so bad.

48th out of 77 tackles in the league. Which puts him one spot above Marcus McNeill, who the whole board has been salivating over, but Marcus is 49th out of 77.

As a matter of fact, his score (-8.5) would make him the second-best OL on the roster, behind only Eric Wood, who had a minus 7.7, so Green is almost as good as Wood, and this board was pretty much kowtowing to Wood last year, though it was more about his attitude than his play.

Wood should make major strides, though, as it's early in his career, and you can't be so sure about Green. Green played only at RT last year, and is a big step above any other RTs on the roster, or LTs for that matter.

As for individual strengths, look here:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_playe...n&playerid=551

His overall pass blocking score is +1.2, slightly above average. His overall run blocking score is +0.8, again slightly above average (average is zero, for those who don't know their system). The bad news is that he had one of the worst penalty scores in the league, minus 11.0, tied for 73rd out of 76. The good news is that he played for Oakland, and their coaching has been genuinely awful, even worse than ours. Maybe our new staff can get him to cut down on those. It's also worth noting that eight out of his 13 penalties came in three games, so maybe something specific caused them. The games were San Diego (3), Washington (2), and Baltimore (3).

This guy is not a home run, he's a single up the middle, but above average pass and run blocking (even if it is only slightly above average) would be a nice change indeed to see on the Bills o-line.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny because people wanted us to pay another tackle $10 million plus with worse #s than that.

Yeah, except for the "worse numbers" part. Are you seriously trying to say that Peters is worse? Good luck with that, and by all means put it in black and white so everyone can laugh.

Is this honestly based on anything? Ddi you see a bunch of Raiders games and watch him? Because I haven't but rather than just whine about it, I did some research. According to Football Outsiders, the Raiders were 16th in running behind right RT (4.12) and 14th in running around Right End (4.27). http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

According to ProFootballFocus, he was the 48th ranked OL just ahead of Marcus McNeil and jsut behind Chad Clifton. http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_positio...&numgames=1

I'm not going to sit he and be like he's great. But he seems pretty middle of the road and that was on a team with one of the worst QBs to paly in the NFL in some time. All I'm saying is breath and let's actually see the guy play.

Yup, exactly.

I have a ton more confidence in our FA moves now that Whaley is in charge with Nix to back him up rather than just John Guy.

and Langston is out of the NFL now

I realize that people here don't have a lot of respect for the Raiders, and for good reason, but could you explain to me how being on the Raiders roster is "out of the NFL now"?

http://www.raiders.com/team/roster.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_1463...?nclick_check=1

"The Raiders intend to let Khalif Barnes, Langston Walker and Erik Pears compete for the vacancy during training camp."

Please tell us who on the FA list you want them to sign?? The market is light this year. And he won't be the last OL the Bills get before training camp. If they don't sign anyone folks are upset. They address a hole on the team needing options and depth and folks are upset. This is ridiculous.

The Bills can.t win. They didn't sign anyone over the weekend from the worst UFA class in the history of the NFL and people were freaking out. Then they sign a veteran stop gap from the worst UFA class in the history of the NFL and people are freaking out. They needed to sign a RT and their options were ridiculously slim.

FWIW:

Green is a 10-year veteran who had little starting experience until he arrived in Oakland two years ago. He started every game in 2008 and has good size and strength for the RT position. He has adequate balance and body control in passing situations. He lacks ideal foot quickness when matched up with speed rushers, but shows good hand use and can push defenders past the pocket once he opens his hips. He has improved his awareness and reactions to stunts. In the run game, he comes off the ball with adequate pad level. He will get overextended at times and has trouble recovering once he gets his weight forward. He does a good job as a positional blocker and can sustain contact with wide hand placement.

whether it's depth or as a starter at RT for a year or two it will do. We need some big bodies and he has a RT body. I'm not asking for a pro bowler, but someone who is an above avg run blocker would be nice. He is already better then Bell and Chambers. This isn't shocking as when Buddy was with SD they also got modest FA o-linemen and drafted a bunch as well. expect the same thing.

Before we get too excited, let's remind ourselves that this is a right tackle that the Raiders no longer wanted. Langston Walker was a right tackle that the Raiders no longer wanted. Considering how bad their team is, how can you get revved up over raiding the Raiders?

It's a good signing. He sounds no better or worse than Brad Butler and a lot better then the tomato soup cans that filled in after Butler went down. He sounds like a very competent back up and fill in starter while we look for a fnal answer. To all the doom and gloomers....this is how you build depth. So shut the pie holes and understand what Buddy's doing.

It's a good signing. He sounds no better or worse than Brad Butler and a lot better then the tomato soup cans that filled in after Butler went down. He sounds like a very competent back up and fill in starter while we look for a fnal answer. To all the doom and gloomers....this is how you build depth. So shut the pie holes and understand what Buddy's doing.

+1

Before we get too excited, let's remind ourselves that this is a right tackle that the Raiders no longer wanted. Langston Walker was a right tackle that the Raiders no longer wanted. Considering how bad their team is, how can you get revved up over raiding the Raiders?

This didn't stop Belichick from trading for Derrick Burgess or Parcells from signing Jake Grove. They weren't worried about filling a need by acquiring a player from a crappy team. This is same logic that many posters were using when they were saying they didn't want Orakpo because he went to UT.

Given that he's already played for Atlanta, the Jets, Miami, Tampa, Denver, Tampa again, Oakland and now Buffalo... hard to get too excited about this pickup.

So your saying that hes so good that 7 different teams wanted him, and Tampa liked him so much that they asked him back for a 2nd time?

Just saying.

Funny because people wanted us to pay another tackle $10 million plus with worse #s than that.

LOL, you crack me up Biscuit. I almost spit water all over my monitor when I read this. Its so true. I agree with your take on Green too BTW. Good post.

Is this honestly based on anything? Ddi you see a bunch of Raiders games and watch him? Because I haven't but rather than just whine about it, I did some research. According to Football Outsiders, the Raiders were 16th in running behind right RT (4.12) and 14th in running around Right End (4.27). http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

According to ProFootballFocus, he was the 48th ranked OL just ahead of Marcus McNeil and jsut behind Chad Clifton. http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_positio...&numgames=1

I'm not going to sit he and be like he's great. But he seems pretty middle of the road and that was on a team with one of the worst QBs to paly in the NFL in some time. All I'm saying is breath and let's actually see the guy play.

Thank you C.Biscuit... what an informative post in the midst of all this baseless chatter. I did not care one way or the other for this signing, but it appears as though the numbers point to him being an avg. RT, and that is a good move from where we were last year.

Yeah, filling a hole with Raiders rejects. Great. And $3M to boot, when he could've been had for league minimum. Way to bid against ourselves ;)

He started for 3 years...ya with the raiders but there are only 32 starting RT spots in the NFL. He had one of them for 3 years. You cant pay league minimum just because some guy on a message board hasnt heard of him or seen him play. Be realistic please :thumbsup:

Yeah, when you don't have anyone adequate on the roster now that Butler's gone.

I'll copy my own post from another thread:

Overall, he's not so bad.

48th out of 77 tackles in the league. Which puts him one spot above Marcus McNeill, who the whole board has been salivating over, but Marcus is 49th out of 77.

As a matter of fact, his score (-8.5) would make him the second-best OL on the roster, behind only Eric Wood, who had a minus 7.7, so Green is almost as good as Wood, and this board was pretty much kowtowing to Wood last year, though it was more about his attitude than his play.

Wood should make major strides, though, as it's early in his career, and you can't be so sure about Green. Green played only at RT last year, and is a big step above any other RTs on the roster, or LTs for that matter.

As for individual strengths, look here:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_playe...n&playerid=551

His overall pass blocking score is +1.2, slightly above average. His overall run blocking score is +0.8, again slightly above average (average is zero, for those who don't know their system). The bad news is that he had one of the worst penalty scores in the league, minus 11.0, tied for 73rd out of 76. The good news is that he played for Oakland, and their coaching has been genuinely awful, even worse than ours. Maybe our new staff can get him to cut down on those. It's also worth noting that eight out of his 13 penalties came in three games, so maybe something specific caused them. The games were San Diego (3), Washington (2), and Baltimore (3).

This guy is not a home run, he's a single up the middle, but above average pass and run blocking (even if it is only slightly above average) would be a nice change indeed to see on the Bills o-line.

How dare you bring facts and reasoned analysis into this thread? Don't you know that this move just torpedoed our entire 2011 season? I mean the Raiders did not even want him! Our FO just got bamboozled!

:thumbsup: Thanks for the good post!

People need to remember too that the current Bills O line coach watched him play twice a year.

I remember O-line coach McNally say almost the same things about Langston Walker. He said they watched all the film on the guy and they were confident he would do a great job for the Bills because the Raiders didn't give him the proper support. Walker was a bust.

Flash forward to the next Raider stiff to land in Buffalo: Cornell Green. The Raiders, a bad team, have no more use for this guy, but he is good enough for the Bills apparently.

He will cash his paychecks and be long gone in a year or two and another castoff will have come and gone and the Bills will have made no progress.

It's like the movie Groundhog Day except that the Bills never learn anything from repeating the same mistakes over and over again.