Things I learned from watching movies

Just Jack

On Iwo Jima Tony Stein crerated a weapon he called the 'Stinger'. It was made from a .30 cal machine gun taken from a downed navy fighter (actually 6 were made). It was designed to be fired from the hip, or braced against a shoulder in the prone position. Unfortunately Stein was killed on Iwo.

That would be a really good trick, considering that Navy fighters universally mounted .50-cal weapons in 1945. Did he convert the caliber himself? :lol:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a really good trick, considering that Navy fighters universally mounted .50-cal weapons in 1945. Did he convert the caliber himself? :lol:

the cynicism is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Perhaps I should have said downed Naval aircraft. Dauntless Dive Bombers carried a .30 as defensive armament. Much easier to remove.

If someone ever tells you that there is something that you should absolutely never ever do, ultimately you will need to do that exact thing to save the day.

When on a vacation, it is probably best to avoid your wife's cousin Eddie.

Guide To The Causes of House-Haunting, By Era...

SEVENTIES AND EARLIER: Bad news: Terrible violent acts took place in your home long ago.

EIGHTIES: Bad news: Your home was built on an ancient sacred Indian burial ground. Why do you think you got such a sweet deal on the place, you idiot?

NINETIES TO NOW: Bad news: Oops, turns out you and your family are the ghosts. You all died tragically a while back and you just don’t know it yet.

Guide To The Causes of House-Haunting, By Era...

SEVENTIES AND EARLIER: Bad news: Terrible violent acts took place in your home long ago.

EIGHTIES: Bad news: Your home was built on an ancient sacred Indian burial ground. Why do you think you got such a sweet deal on the place, you idiot?

NINETIES TO NOW: Bad news: Oops, turns out you and your family are the ghosts. You all died tragically a while back and you just don’t know it yet.

Gringo - be done with this, and get that World Cup '10 drumbeat going...

:lol:

the cynicism is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Perhaps I should have said downed Naval aircraft. Dauntless Dive Bombers carried a .30 as defensive armament. Much easier to remove.

Yes...that was substantially lighter than a water-cooled .30-cal Browning. And still had to be modified to be carried.

Might not want use as "proof" of something that can't happen something that's completely different.

If you need to drop a ring of power into a great fire in order to save middle earth instead of using a giant eagle which would take a very short amount of time go through 3 movies to get the same job done.

After suffering through 20 minutes of those two friggin' Hobbits seesawing between moaning and philosophy, I found myself rooting for Gollem to pitch 'em both face first into the hot drink.

After suffering through 20 minutes of those two friggin' Hobbits seesawing between moaning and philosophy, I found myself rooting for Gollem to pitch 'em both face first into the hot drink.

Felt the same way after having lunch with VABills.

If you need to get into the booby trapped safe that the captured scientist/military person has in their home, just think of the song he sings to his kid to get them to sleep. It will have all the instructions for getting by the traps.

Shane Wolfe: When you're down and low, lower than the floor, And you feel like you ain't got a chance. Bom, bom, bom, Don't make a move till you're in the groove And do the Peter Panda Dance:

[Clap twice]

Shane Wolfe: 'Just hop three times like a kangaroo, Side-step twice just like those/the crabs do, Three steps forward, one step back. Quick like a turtle, lie on your back!

[Whispering]

Shane Wolfe: 'Roll like a log till you can't roll no more!' Better jump up quick like there ain't no floor, Hold your breath, and jump/step/slide to the left'; And that's the Peter, I swear that's the Peter, That's the Peter Panda Dance!

After flying cross-country, taking off your shoes and making fists with your toes in a shag carpet is a good relaxation technique.

But if you do it in a brand new high-rise, be sure to tie your shoes together and drape them around your neck, over your shoulders. Just in case.

be very careful when either taking a wee wee or having extra curricular activities with member of opposite sex,(same sex, not that is is anything wrong with that :lol: ) in airplane washroom, there may be snakes lurking. Make sure to look under lid before sitting down, do your business quickly and get the hell out of there, or you might be sorry....

Yeah, I know Basilone's story. Have for about 20 years. And last night, whatever that was, that wasn't it.

The good news is that this is probably the last you'll hear me complain about that series, since at that point I had to turn it off. A guy running around firing a machine gun from the hip is exactly the John Wayne-type movie stupidity that the Marines on Guadalcanal laughed at.

There is a road named after Basilone by Camp Pendleton. Also a statue of Basilone in Little Italy in San Diego.