The 10 Best Twist Endings in Movies

erynthered

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's comments like this that make me realize how you rub so many people here the wrong way.

You know damn well that the ending of this movie was one of the biggest surprises in recent movie history, but you need to get on your high horse and call us all brain-dead.

<_<

The problem is that once the story of the surprise ending gets out there, you sit through the movie trying to figure out what it will be. I never even saw the 6th Sense, but guessed it immediately the second all that press started to come out. It was incredibly obvious. To me, any movie is a million times better when you don't know the twist is coming. That doesn't seem all that possible anymore though.

I'm not going to try to rank anything, but a good twist ending I always enjoyed was the Prestige. I guess Christopher Nolan likes to go that route a bit too.

The problem is that once the story of the surprise ending gets out there, you sit through the movie trying to figure out what it will be. I never even saw the 6th Sense, but guessed it immediately the second all that press started to come out. It was incredibly obvious. To me, any movie is a million times better when you don't know the twist is coming. That doesn't seem all that possible anymore though.

I'm not going to try to rank anything, but a good twist ending I always enjoyed was the Prestige. I guess Christopher Nolan likes to go that route a bit too.

Exactly. Knowing this, and that the kid can see dead people from the trailers, it wasn't hard for me to figure out either. As soon as Bruce Willis gets shot my friend made a comment jokingly to me in the theater that the movie was over because the main character was dead. I laughed and then thought to myself maybe that is it. For the rest of the film I tried finding proof he wasn't dead and then it became more and more obvious he was.

And I'll second the vote for The Prestige. That movie is amazing.

It's comments like this that make me realize how you rub so many people here the wrong way.

You know damn well that the ending of this movie was one of the biggest surprises in recent movie history, but you need to get on your high horse and call us all brain-dead.

<_<

That being said... The Usual Suspects would be my choice.

And the only way I can see that the ending was surprising is that if the vast majority of the people watching it were asleep, drunk off their ass, or lobotomized.

Really...the kid sees dead people. Bruce Willis gets shot at the beginning of the movie. Willis, throughout the rest of teh movie, only interacts with the kid that sees dead people. That's not a "twist", that's a plot. The Village had a better twist ending. Suicide Kings had a better twist ending. Wild Things had a better twist ending (actually, that had a pretty good one, come to think of it). The Sixth Sense...it's not a "twist" if it's bleeding obvious.

Recently the most awesome of twists was The Perfect Getaway with Steve Zahn

A young mild-mannered American couple, Cliff and Cydney are celebrating their honeymoon by hiking to a remote beach in Hawaii. The couple comes across two hitchhikers, Cleo and Kale, and a group of frightened hikers discussing a double murder in Honolulu of another newlywed couple on the island, with the victims having their teeth pulled out and their fingerprints gone, and they begin to question whether they should turn back.

Unsure whether to stay or flee, Cliff and Cydney join up with another couple, Nick, who claims to have a titanium plate in his head and be a former special forces operative and an Iraq War veteran, and his longtime Georgian girlfriend, Gina, a former butcher. Far from civilization or rescue, everyone begins to look like a threat and nobody knows whom to trust.Cliff asks kale whether he is following him. At some point on the island, Kale and Cleo are arrested when they are found by authorities with a container of pulled teeth in their bag.

The story progresses to one hell of a twist ending.