Buddy Nix's Draft comments

Buddy Nix said that if a player "did it High School, and did it in college he is probably going to do it in the NFL"

What player jumps out at you from this statetment? Jimmy Clausen. He was the #1 QB from high school, and started three years at Notre Dame.

If Jimy Clausen is within reach of Buffalo , i reall think he will be a Bill!

Buddy Nix said that if a player "did it High School, and did it in college he is probably going to do it in the NFL"

What player jumps out at you from this statetment? Jimmy Clausen. He was the #1 QB from high school, and started three years at Notre Dame.

based on that it could be any of the top guys, bradford (2yrs starter), clausen (3+ yrs starter), lefevour, (3yr starter) tebow(3 yr starter) and mccoy all fit that description. With that said, I do think we will take clausen if available

Yippee Skippee.. Our fourth attempt at trying to make a California QB work in Snowy Buffalo.

how many games a year does it snow?

this is the worst argument against getting any good player, we have what maybe 3-4 games where you might get snow, in the reg season, so you cant draft guys from places where it doesnt snow, simply retarded, NEWS FLASH, clausen played at Notre Dame, it snows there brainiac, so according to your logic it shouldn't be a problem.

Yippee Skippee.. Our fourth attempt at trying to make a California QB work in Snowy Buffalo.

You made a similar point on another thread, and mentioned Losman, Rob Johnson, and Edwards as other California QBs who didn't work in Buffalo.

First, let's throw Edwards out the window completely. I read that the bust rate for QBs taken in the second round is over 90% (bust here meaning, I believe, a failure to become a solid starter). Given that Edwards was taken in the third round, and given that this past season he didn't play well even in good weather, it's hard to blame that one on his lack of prior snow.

Losman was drafted towards the end of the first round, at a point where there are usually a few more question marks associated with quarterbacks than earlier in the round. There were question marks associated with Losman; most notably his accuracy, mental acuity, and ability to read defenses. He had the arm strength to throw the ball well in cold weather, and I don't think he mentally wimped out because of the cold. Losman just didn't have the mental tools to be successful in the NFL, and would have failed even if drafted by a warm weather or dome team.

That leaves Rob Johnson. He wasn't actually drafted in the first round--or anywhere near it, as I recall. The Jaguars initially used a relatively modest draft pick to acquire him, but later traded him away to us for a first. We traded for him on the basis of one or two really solid performances at the NFL level. The bottom line is that Rob Johnson looked a lot better with Tony Boselli protecting his blindside than he did with John Fina in that role. Johnson's main problems--holding onto the ball too long, taking too many sacks, getting injured too much, a lack of pocket presence--were not attributable to cold weather or to his lack of experience in it.

If the Bills use a first round pick on Clausen, it would be the first time in a very long time that this franchise will have used a top 10 pick on a QB--which is where franchise QBs are normally taken. That doesn't mean Clausen is destined to be an NFL success--he very well may not be--but I don't believe his success or failure will have anything to do with his experience in cold weather. Brett Favre grew up in Mississippi, and played college ball in the South. He's done okay in a few cold weather NFL games since then.

Here are the top rated players in the country in 2006 and 2007.

Gerald McCoy, Sergio Kindle, Sam Young, Ricky Saap, Micah Johnson, Tim Tebow, Brandon Graham, and Brandon Spikes These are the top seniors in the draft we may look to draft that were in the top 50 High School recruits.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p...c=4&yr=2006

These are the top juniors that were top 50 high school recruits.

Jimmy Clausen, Everson Griffin, Anthony Davis, and Carlos Dunlap

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p...c=4&yr=2007

Jimmy Clausen and Anthony Davis immediately jumped out to me. It will be interesting if we draft one of those 2.

Here are the top rated players in the country in 2006 and 2007.

Gerald McCoy, Sergio Kindle, Sam Young, Ricky Saap, Micah Johnson, Tim Tebow, Brandon Graham, and Brandon Spikes These are the top seniors in the draft we may look to draft that were in the top 50 High School recruits.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p...c=4&yr=2006

These are the top juniors that were top 50 high school recruits.

Jimmy Clausen, Everson Griffin, Anthony Davis, and Carlos Dunlap

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p...c=4&yr=2007

Jimmy Clausen and Anthony Davis immediately jumped out to me. It will be interesting if we draft one of those 2.

Griffiin reminds me of Merriman coing out of College. I think he will be the star of the draft, he is explosive!

You made a similar point on another thread, and mentioned Losman, Rob Johnson, and Edwards as other California QBs who didn't work in Buffalo.

First, let's throw Edwards out the window completely. I read that the bust rate for QBs taken in the second round is over 90% (bust here meaning, I believe, a failure to become a solid starter). Given that Edwards was taken in the third round, and given that this past season he didn't play well even in good weather, it's hard to blame that one on his lack of prior snow.

Losman was drafted towards the end of the first round, at a point where there are usually a few more question marks associated with quarterbacks than earlier in the round. There were question marks associated with Losman; most notably his accuracy, mental acuity, and ability to read defenses. He had the arm strength to throw the ball well in cold weather, and I don't think he mentally wimped out because of the cold. Losman just didn't have the mental tools to be successful in the NFL, and would have failed even if drafted by a warm weather or dome team.

That leaves Rob Johnson. He wasn't actually drafted in the first round--or anywhere near it, as I recall. The Jaguars initially used a relatively modest draft pick to acquire him, but later traded him away to us for a first. We traded for him on the basis of one or two really solid performances at the NFL level. The bottom line is that Rob Johnson looked a lot better with Tony Boselli protecting his blindside than he did with John Fina in that role. Johnson's main problems--holding onto the ball too long, taking too many sacks, getting injured too much, a lack of pocket presence--were not attributable to cold weather or to his lack of experience in it.

If the Bills use a first round pick on Clausen, it would be the first time in a very long time that this franchise will have used a top 10 pick on a QB--which is where franchise QBs are normally taken. That doesn't mean Clausen is destined to be an NFL success--he very well may not be--but I don't believe his success or failure will have anything to do with his experience in cold weather. Brett Favre grew up in Mississippi, and played college ball in the South. He's done okay in a few cold weather NFL games since then.

I agree with some of this, but two points seem wrong. First, some - not all but some - problems were probably experienced by these three guys because of snow, and denying that doesn't make sense.

Second, Losman proved he has the mental acuity to play in 2006. Acuity has never been his problem. His problem was that the Bills cleverly figured out, in the last half of 2006, a system that worked for him when they opened the playbook and Losman responded despite an offensive line that was just about as bad as this year's. Then, after figuring out how to put Losman in a position to succeed, they promptly changed to a totally different system aimed at exposing his weaknesses rather than using his strengths. Cue the screams: "What's wrong with this guy?"

With good QB coaching, Losman can still be a good QB, much as the haters don't want to hear it. But you can't blame Losman's problems on snow, he was terrific in snow, he threw the ball right through the wind on some awful days at the Ralph, outplaying some good QBs on opposing teams.

Johnson never looked all that comfortable in the snow, though.

And you're right about Favre, and there are others.

I like Clausen a lot, but he doesn't especially jump out at me based on this quote.

Yep, another lamb for slaughter.

The mentality in Buffalo is we gotta find the "franchise" QB, the next Jim Kelly. It's just a darn shame the Bills don't have a Bill Polian GM / pres to find that guy.

did what?

I agree with some of this, but two points seem wrong. First, some - not all but some - problems were probably experienced by these three guys because of snow, and denying that doesn't make sense.

Second, Losman proved he has the mental acuity to play in 2006. Acuity has never been his problem. His problem was that the Bills cleverly figured out, in the last half of 2006, a system that worked for him when they opened the playbook and Losman responded despite an offensive line that was just about as bad as this year's. Then, after figuring out how to put Losman in a position to succeed, they promptly changed to a totally different system aimed at exposing his weaknesses rather than using his strengths. Cue the screams: "What's wrong with this guy?"

With good QB coaching, Losman can still be a good QB, much as the haters don't want to hear it. But you can't blame Losman's problems on snow, he was terrific in snow, he threw the ball right through the wind on some awful days at the Ralph, outplaying some good QBs on opposing teams.

Johnson never looked all that comfortable in the snow, though.

And you're right about Favre, and there are others.

The Bills' offensive line in 2006--especially in the second half of the season--was considerably better than the putrid joke of a line that just finished embarrassing itself over the course of the 2009 season. You'll recall that Jason Peters moved to LT partway through the 2006 season and played well there; whereas in 2009 we had Demetrius Bell (and sometimes not even him!).

"Opening up the offense" in 2006 largely consisted of long bombs to Lee Evans. That worked out pretty well for a while--until defenses figured out that you're supposed to double cover Evans, put eight men in the box, and dare Losman to beat you with his underneath game. That, he was seldom able to do.

Losman had all the physical tools he needed to succeed. A far better set of physical tools than Tom Brady, for example. Where Losman fell short was on the mental side of the game: processing information quickly, reading defenses, seeing multiple targets in the very short amount of time between when the ball is snapped and when any NFL QB has to get rid of it. Not everyone can display the mental ability of a Peyton Manning, and Losman is one of the people who can't. I read that the offense the Bills used in 2006 was considerably simplified for Losman's benefit; and undoubtedly that helped him. But there's a reason why coaches typically don't go on using simplified offenses forever.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the chances of Clausen making it to the Bills at 9th are about the same as the Bills winning the division this year.

Bradford and Clausen will be gone before then, and if the Skins don't take Clausen/Bradford then the Seahawks probably will. Even then, after them there are two teams ahead of us equally desperate for a QB.

My guess is that they'll select an OT or a WR. Right now after Evans they have nothing in the receiving department with TO and Reed gone, and we all know the status of the line.

My guess is that they're going to try Brohm this year.

Griffiin reminds me of Merriman coing out of College. I think he will be the star of the draft, he is explosive!

Griffin played at 280lbs+ this year as well and could play as a 3-4 DE.

I thought he was partly referring to the throwing motion of Tebow. You just can't change it in a session.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the chances of Clausen making it to the Bills at 9th are about the same as the Bills winning the division this year.

Bradford and Clausen will be gone before then, and if the Skins don't take Clausen/Bradford then the Seahawks probably will. Even then, after them there are two teams ahead of us equally desperate for a QB.

My guess is that they'll select an OT or a WR. Right now after Evans they have nothing in the receiving department with TO and Reed gone, and we all know the status of the line.

My guess is that they're going to try Brohm this year.

Who are both also equally desperate for an OT. I could just as easily see the Redskins taking Okung, KC selecting Bulaga, and the Seahawks taking Davis.

If we did that it would be Colt McCoy and Tebow.

How did Elway work out? Oh I know you want a guy from say Western PA or so like Jim Drunkenmiller..... :unsure:

I heard Jim's problem was he stayed too drunken off the Miller. Had a rep of being a big drinker at VT. :devil:

God I hope not...he's not a good quarterback and its not an improvement.

I believe what Nix is referring to is a players abilities. Some people think that such and such a player is too small or won't adjust to the NFL game. I don't believe that is the sole criteria for him, at least I hope not. I'm sure ability to get along with teammates and on field character mean a lot to him. If Nix believes the stories of Clausen being too arrogant for his own good he'll probably pass on him.

I think his statement can be applied a lot better to Dan LeFevour.

Jack Kemp = Born and went to college in California.

Kindly stfu

And you can add in Darryl LaMonica from California, Joe Ferguson from waaaay down south, leaving only Jim Kelly of the 4 best QBs in Bills history NOT from warm weather. And even Kelly made his rep playing in Miami and Houston before returning "home" to the northeast.

And you can add in Darryl LaMonica from California, Joe Ferguson from waaaay down south, leaving only Jim Kelly of the 4 best QBs in Bills history NOT from warm weather. And even Kelly made his rep playing in Miami and Houston before returning "home" to the northeast.

Lamonica played in a back-up role for a few years but spent most of his time in Oakland.

I never mentioned warm weather or the south. My point was that we are 0 for 3 on our most

recent high profile California QBs. If the Bills take Clausen at #9, I sure as heck hope he has

what it takes. At least he will have a offensive minded head coach and what I hear is a quality

QB coach. Seriously, I'm not sure any QB could have thrived under Dick Jauron and company.