Marv - worst GM in history of NFL?

sharper802

If/when Whitner is traded/released will that cement Marv as the worst GM in NFL history? I know Millen was awful but Marv's decisions wereworse. Not trading down when Denver offered, Tutan Reyes, Bennie Anderson, trading up for McCargo and Poz, grossly overpaying for langston Walker, Robert Royal, Derrick Dockery, and listening to a cancer riddled Bill Walsh about Trent. Fred Jackson. That's his only contribution....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If/when Whitner is traded/released will that cement Marv as the worst GM in NFL history? I know Millen was awful but Marv's decisions wereworse. Not trading down when Denver offered, Tutan Reyes, Bennie Anderson, trading up for McCargo and Poz, grossly overpaying for langston Walker, Robert Royal, Derrick Dockery, and listening to a cancer riddled Bill Walsh about Trent. Fred Jackson. That's his only contribution....

Really?

Marv wasnt the best thing to ever happen to the Bills as a GM but hewasnt the worst in history, not even close

I liked his picks at first. In hindsight they didn't work out. But I thought he did a good job. I was alright with Whitner at the time. Wanted Ngata, like everyone else, but Whitner looked promising. Sure turned out better than Huff at least.

The only pick I didn't like was McCargo.

Marv !@#$ed up on 2 1st round picks mainly Whitner and McCargo with McCargo being a late 1st round pick. Millen messed up top ten after top ten picks while in Detroit missed consistently on free agents. I mean he drafted Charles Rodgers and Joey Harrington both in the top 5 and both were busts, he also drafted Mike Williams in the top 10 another wiff. The Millen era had such a prolonged resume of failure that its not even close to what Marv 2.0 did.

Yes Marv's one year was a disaster BUT we got Freddie that's something and he didn't miss on 3 top 10 picks with two of them being top 5 picks.

really?????

is that necessary?

I think your rant misses the point as even if you judge Marv as horrible it really only reflects on the real issue which is the team owner Mr. Ralph.

Marv's results simply stand as a double indictment of the team owner as in the end it is the big guy who writes the big checks for failures like Langston Walker and Dockery and who was it who made judgment to hire what you call the worst GM in NFL history in the first place.

Actually if one really wants to make an accurate assessment then who deserves the blame for firing GM Polian, for having such a toxic relationship with Butler he left the Bills in completely horrible shape with the timing of his departure or even worse if he tanked his last draft with a far worse choice than Whitner was.

Mr. Ralph then added insult to injury by hiring TD and totally failing to manage some clear flaws in his strategy (TD seemed to hire GW with a goal of not getting run out of town by a successful HC he hired as he was with Cowher and then showed the utter toxicity of him managing the GM situation by having to fire TD.

You seem to pretty much miss the point by poking the corpse of Marv.

Al Davis is worse.

:nana: Thanks! You beat me to it.

I will go on record as saying, hiring Marv Levy as GM was a very poor decision by Ralph Wilson, and I was one who said so at the time...many here were in love with the whole idea.

That being said, I don't know if it is even fair to rank Marv...he didn't really serve the Bills in the traditional role of a GM in the NFL. I give him credit for stepping down, because he recognized that he was being held responsible for what was a sinking ship...

Also, you can criticize Marvs' draft picks all you want, but, for the most part, those decisions were made with some football intellect behind them, and the players were chosen to fill specific needs. A team with as poor a roster as the Bills have, can't afford to miss on any draft picks in the lower rounds. People around here B word about Whitner, Lynch, Posluszny, Edwards, etc...but those were all considered good, solid picks at the time. We don't even know for certain that some of those guys might not be good to great pros, with a real coaching staff. I would like to see what Whitner can do in a real defense, before throwing him on the scrap heap, instead of the new age bull **** thing the Bills have been going with the last four years...

The free agent signings, and overpaying for marginal players like Walker and Dockery, can't be fully attributed to Marv either...if I recall, Marv didn't really have much to do with contracts.

The one (very bad) decision that Marv seemed to have the most say in, was the hiring of Richard Jauron as head coach. I will confess, at the time, I liked the move...but we all know, he was, possibly, the worst, if not one of the 3 worst coaches in franchise history.

There is little to show for Marvs tenure in Buffalo as GM, but he may not even be the worst GM in franchise history. Buffalo Bills/AFL great, Stew Barber might have some claim to that title...or maybe Terry Bletsoe?

You do know that the BILLS have been around since before 1990, right? Marv isn't even the worst GM in team history.

My perspective is that Marv wanted to be head coach and Ralph Wilson said NO, that he only wanted him as GM.

Marv was GM for two years in 06-07, he hired Dick Jauron as HC and Steve Fairchild to run the offense. Fairchild spent time under Mike Martz as the St Louis assistant OC who helped Martz run the offense.

Now I can understand Marv wanting to build a high powered offense again in Buffalo and looking around the league it seemed like a good choice to install "greatest show on turf" in Buffalo by hiring Fairchild.

Jauron hired his own DC away from Chicago who was the DB coach at the time.

At that time both the Tampa 2 defense and the Mike Martz offense were both highly regarded around the league as good schemes.

If you recall, Marv stated he would draft by consensus and let the head coach and the scouts all have input, and he wouldn't over rule Jauron. So he was basically stating that Jauron had autonomy over the draft.

His first draft they had released SS Lawyer Milloy in a salary cap move and they had a great need at safety to replace him. Donte Whitner was the 58th rated player on the board and the Raiders had just taken Michael Huff at #8, but the Bills NEEDED a saftey.

Just further proof that Jauron picked that 06 draft class the first 5 were all for the defense. Donte Whitner- John McCargo- Ashton Youboty- Ko Simpson-Kyle Williams.

After the draft Marv went to work bringing in free agents and there is where he screwed up. I tend to think that the vet O line coach Jim McNally had some input into Dockery and Walker being signed.

But then again how was Marv to know that the strength and conditioning coach sucked, or that Jim McNally would retire and Steve Fairchild would quit to be a head coach in college.

Here is where Jauron really scrood the pooch... instead of hiring experienced veteran NFL coaches he decided to promote from within. The QB coach Turk Schonert was named OC and Sean Kuglar was named the O line coach. Jauron did it again by firing Schonert and promoting the QB coach to OC...two weeks before the season started.

So yea Marv screwed up by hiring Dick Jauron, that was his biggest mistake. Then Jauron went on to blow up the team year after year with hiring bad assistant coaches and retooling the O line every year, and bad draft choices.

Considering the only major decision that Marv made was on Jauron...player moves were something he had little input on...it was Guy and Modrak making the suggestions and Jauron making the final call...I don't think he even merits mention as a GM. He was mostly a figurehead, brought in to fix the PR nightmare that Donahoe created

Levy wasn't good but even the Bills have had worse GMs if you go past Polian and Butler- Tom D sucked pretty bad, I mean in my history of following the Bills (1968- today) it's like Polian great, Butler good, and a bunch of guys who range from barely competent to totally sucking.

For God's sake, get some perspective.

What is eating away at your insides to make you think that? Seriously.

a) As someone else said, he wasn't even worse in Bills' history. See Stew Barber, Terry Bledsoe, et al.

b) Bill Walsh did not recommend TE. He complimented the pick after it was made. This may be one of the most mis-reported stories in Bills folk lore.

This is the correct !!! :nana:

That whole thing about Walsh drives me nuts. We picked a QB in the 3rd..not like most ever expected him to be THE franchise QB.Walsh says he like the kid after the draft. Kid comes in and his first drive as a QB leads to a TD agaisnt the Pats*. Next year he is doing great till his brains get scarmbled agaisnt the Cards..thats all she wrote. Still think it was a good pick in the 3rd rd, only problem I have with the Bills is not picking a QB every year in some rd