Jason Campbell to Buffalo rumor

zow2

This whole rumor makes me want to :nana:

The Redskins would have to tender Campbell to receive draft compensation if he signed elsewhere. Campbell's minimum tender amount would be $3.14 million, according to a league source. If the Redskins increased the offer to $3.268 million, they would receive first- and third-round compensation. Last season, Campbell had a salary of a little more than $2.857 million. "

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/jas...alo-331661.html

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the bashing of Campbell. Every year in the league his stats have improved -- yards, TDs, completion percentage. Never threw more INTs than TDs. His average yds/attempt this year was a respectable 7.1 -- hardly "Captain Checkdown" numbers (Fitz was 6.3, Edwards 6.4). And he did this in an admitted "shitstorm" in DC, playing for different OCs every year. Great size and physical tools, and at 28 he's entering his prime. And he's durable.

I'd welcome Campbell to the Bills' roster.

It won't die either. It's amazing such a silly rumor ever was started. A starting QB for a backup safety??

A starting qb who the organization has been desperately trying to replace over the past two years. The trading of Whitner for Campbell is very plausible.

This whole rumor makes me want to :thumbsup:

The Redskins would have to tender Campbell to receive draft compensation if he signed elsewhere. Campbell's minimum tender amount would be $3.14 million, according to a league source. If the Redskins increased the offer to $3.268 million, they would receive first- and third-round compensation. Last season, Campbell had a salary of a little more than $2.857 million. "

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/jas...alo-331661.html

Before you lose your lunch, understand that the bolded simply means that a 1st and 3rd would be the compensation that another team would have to pay if they signed Campbell away as a RFA. It in no way implies that the same compensation would be in order in a trade, let alone in a trade involving a player-for-player exchange.

My favorite thing about situations like this is people automatically take it to about 15 levels beyond where it needs to go.

Jason Campbell for Whitner. It's not like we're trading a first round pick for the guy or signing him to a long term deal, we're just trading an expendable part of our roster for a guy who fills a need. This doesn't mean Jason Campbell is the QB here for the next 10 years, it just means he is probably better than what we have on our roster right now, and might buy the Bills at least one more year before they have to go draft a QB.

If it works out, great...we have our franchise QB. If it doesn't? What did we lose? We traded an overpaid, underperformaning player for a guy who is immediately the best QB on our roster.

Make the move.

Repeating from the "Ask Tim Graham" thread: Source: Campbell-to-Bills rumor bogus

INDIANAPOLIS -- Buffalo Bills message boards are going kooky nuts over the rumor that the club is working out a deal that would send safety Donte Whitner to the Washington Redskins for quarterback Jason Campbell.

The rumor picked up speed here at the NFL scouting combine when Washington Post reporter Jason Reid blogged about it and said both he and NFL Network insider Jason LaCanfora were tracking it.

NFC East gadabout Matt Mosley picked up the phone and learned, from an unnamed league source, the Redskins have assured Campbell the rumor is bogus.

Mosley writes Redskins coach Mike Shanahan intends to keep Campbell and general manager Bruce Allen will meet with agent Joel Segal in Indianapolis to discuss Campbell's future.

Mosley writes: "Unless another team blows the Skins away with a trade offer, I think Campbell will be back in 2010."

Thanks! Appreciate the reply...

Like I said, I am sure there are a few QB's to challenge the draft only theory and I think it's great that you took the time to research the stats! I am a little more "open" (not that I have the luxury of making the decision) to the idea of Jason Campbell based on the stats you furnished. I think Jim Kelly was approx. a 89% QB rating for his career and he probably had a couple years of growing pains as well before kicking into gear! So, Jason Campbell isn't way off I suppose. I read a post earlier that mentioned that he struggles with the long ball and to be honest I don't know if that is true or not. I don't see him play that often. Yes, We agree the Bills need a QB and even though it sounds as if the Bills want to keep Trent, I really am hoping that they don't! I just don't care for him as a QB period! Sometimes I like Fitzy, but he is inconsistent. I just don't have a pulse on B. Brohm, only heard that he has a difficult time with the knowledge of a NFL Playbook and his one performance wasn't good! I really think we need to get a FA QB and draft one (if they feel there is a worthy QB in the draft?). In that scenario, I would hope that they would start the FA, have Fitzy the initial backup, and the rookie 3rd string until he gets caught up on the playbook and adjusts to the speed of the NFL. Then sometime later in the season if the rook is doing well bump him up to #2 QB or starter if the Bills are lost in their season again. That's providing they have a solid L OT that can block the rush and not get the QB Killed! I don't know if that is a reasonable opinion...just how I'm looking at it right now. I'm mixed on Donovan McNabb! If the Eagles would even let him go! I know he would be better probably than anything in the QB junkyard that we currently have and suppose there is a GOOD arguement...lol....for picking up a younger FA like Jason Campbell ! I'm starting to warm up to it some...I'm definitely burnt out on Trent. Anyways, it's dinner time..Yeah, no biggee..it's hard to determine tone and serious intentions sometimes from just blogging your opinion and having some football fun disputing a point.. It's cool..sometimes a clash of ideas is great as I needed to get revved up a little for football talk as it is at it's most boring lull until the NFL Draft which I'm obsessed with! Yeah, the Combines just started up but I find it a little boring except for knowing who runs the fastest and who can lift the most reps. Go Bills!!! :thumbsup:

See, Im not so hard to get along with as long as you agree that Im always right. LOL.

Have fun enjoying the Combine. Im sick so Ill be home all weekend doing the same. Go Bills.

My favorite thing about situations like this is people automatically take it to about 15 levels beyond where it needs to go.

Jason Campbell for Whitner. It's not like we're trading a first round pick for the guy or signing him to a long term deal, we're just trading an expendable part of our roster for a guy who fills a need. This doesn't mean Jason Campbell is the QB here for the next 10 years, it just means he is probably better than what we have on our roster right now, and might buy the Bills at least one more year before they have to go draft a QB.

If it works out, great...we have our franchise QB. If it doesn't? What did we lose? We traded an overpaid, underperformaning player for a guy who is immediately the best QB on our roster.

Make the move.

Possibly the best post on this thread. It is what Ive been trying to nail into everyone's heads this whole time. Whitner gets the respect of the 1st round pick, but is (at the moment) a backup to Scott, Wilson and Byrd. I would honestly take all 3 over Donte. And we get a player in an area of need for the time being. We get to see if the kid actually has anything to play with. I dont so much as look at it as what Campbell is really worth, its more about the fact that I know Whitner is a waste of a roster spot on this team. He is overpaid for his performance on the field, and he opens his mouth far above his pay grade.

I don't get the bashing of Campbell. Every year in the league his stats have improved -- yards, TDs, completion percentage. Never threw more INTs than TDs. His average yds/attempt this year was a respectable 7.1 -- hardly "Captain Checkdown" numbers (Fitz was 6.3, Edwards 6.4). And he did this in an admitted "shitstorm" in DC, playing for different OCs every year. Great size and physical tools, and at 28 he's entering his prime. And he's durable.

I'd welcome Campbell to the Bills' roster.

I agree completely, Heres some stats to look at over the last 2 years.

Campbells stats from 08 and 09. The guy got better in every aspect of the game (except a few more ints) while even getting sacked more. Which tells me that his team and O'line got worse.

2008:

Attempts: 506

Completions: 315

%: 62.3

Yards: 3245

TD: 13

INT: 6

Yards per Attempt: 6.4

Yards per Completion: 10.3

Rating: 84.3

Sacked: 38

Lost Yards due to Sack: 266

2009:

Attempts: 507

Completions: 327

%: 64.5

Yards: 3618

TD: 20

INT: 15

Yards per Attempt: 7.1

Yards per Completion: 11.1

Rating: 86.4

Sacked: 43

Lost Yards due to Sack: 285

Make the move.

:thumbsup: Cool heads prevail! He is just a big upgrade at QB compared to what we have. Don't believe me? Look at the numbers, the line he has had to work with and a new offensive coordinator/scheme every year. IF he becomes more than that, so much the better.

LOL @ anyone thinking Jason Campbell is a "franchise quarterback".

Woe the lowly Bills fan...browbeaten mercilessly for a decade and now reduced to accepting mediocrities and scraps...

:thumbsup:

Hey people thought Trent Edwards was a franchise QB. The poster above actually spoke to this quite well. Why does he have to be a "franchise" QB? That means different things to different people anyway. The actual important part is that he is way better than what we have! Some people think there are 3 or 4 franchise QBs currently in the league. Some think that number is more like 16.

By the numbers another poster put up, if you think Kurt Warner is a franchise QB with Fitzgerald, Boldin and Breaston, then Jason Campbell is a star in waiting working with crappy ass Santana Moss and some other chumps.