Coaching Staff - Does anyone

Bob in STL

they have ever seen a Bills coaching staff of this magnitude before? This could be a very good mix of experience and youth from the college ranks. Looks like Ralph is spending some dough here. Any other thoughts on this? Haven't the Bills been notoriously frugal in this area before?

Chan Gailey - Head Coach

Daryl Daye - Assistant to the Head Coach

Curtis Modkins - Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs Coach

George Cortez - Quarterbacks Coach

Joe D'Alessandris - Offensive Line Coach

Bobby Johnson - Assistant Offensive Line Coach

Stan Hixon - Wide Receivers Coach

Bob Bicknell - Tight Ends Coach

Kevin Patullo - Offensive Quality Control

George Edwards - Defensive Coordinator

George Catavolos - Secondary Coach

DeMontie Cross - Inside Linebackers Coach

Bob Sanders - Outside Linebackers Coach

Giff Smith - Defensive Line Coach

Adrian White - Defensive Quality Control

Bruce DeHaven - Special Teams Coordinator

Stan Kwan - Assistant Special Teams Coach

Eric Ciano - Co-Head Strength and Conditioning Coach

John Gamble - Co-Head Strength and Conditioning Coach

I think this is a sign of ralph handing the reigns to the men he trusts, he trusts russ to oversee Buddy, whom he also trusts, Buddy brought in chan who obviously feels the need to have several specialized coaches to maximize the teams potential. They all have their departments, and I think it will be better this way.

Don't know if they are really spending much more then usual or not, alot of these guys aren't going to command huge salaries due to lack of pro experience, but for once in a long time, the Bills are focusing on bringing in coaches to help teach players instead of just bringing in guys and expecting them to know what to do. They are also bringing in guys that all have experience with, and have the same philosophies

Don't know if they are really spending much more then usual or not, alot of these guys aren't going to command huge salaries due to lack of pro experience, but for once in a long time, the Bills are focusing on bringing in coaches to help teach players instead of just bringing in guys and expecting them to know what to do. They are also bringing in guys that all have experience with, and have the same philosophies

I really think this could be worth a few wins. A good S&C program and good coaches as teachers.

I just hope that Chan is a good game day coach and can make adjustments at halftime.

I will assume he can get a flag out of his pocket and forcefully toss it on the field although we have seen even that small task get botched.

Size wise, it's quite typical. Arguably, we don't have an OC (WRT $, that's a savings)

In the past, we've had 2 DB coaches (I think one concentrating on CBs, the other Ss), now we have 2 for LBs.

We do have 2 "real" ST coaches (though one is designated Asst), whereas we've had an Asst in the past.

Likewise, we have 2 S & C as opposed to an Asst.

We recently added an "administrative asst to HC" (in addition to his personal secretary). I'll add that this guy has decent football experience, so he might be contributing as well.

So I think our staff is the same as last yr (b4 the OC dismissal) & is IMO quite typical these days.

Size wise, it's quite typical. Arguably, we don't have an OC (WRT $, that's a savings)

In the past, we've had 2 DB coaches (I think one concentrating on CBs, the other Ss), now we have 2 for LBs.

We do have 2 "real" ST coaches (though one is designated Asst), whereas we've had an Asst in the past.

Likewise, we have 2 S & C as opposed to an Asst.

We recently added an "administrative asst to HC" (in addition to his personal secretary). I'll add that this guy has decent football experience, so he might be contributing as well.

So I think our staff is the same as last yr (b4 the OC dismissal) & is IMO quite typical these days.

Hmm ...

Maybe typical for other teams but it looks like we have about 4 or 5 more coaches than in the past.

Thanks for the info.

they have ever seen a Bills coaching staff of this magnitude before? This could be a very good mix of experience and youth from the college ranks. Looks like Ralph is spending some dough here. Any other thoughts on this? Haven't the Bills been notoriously frugal in this area before?

I hate to be negative but look at that coaching staff again, we have a retread HC who wasn't on anybody's radar. Yet I think Gailey might prove me wrong because he has been a regular season winner where ever he seems to go which is a positive sign. Hopefully he can fix the offense. His choice of OC is a guy taking his first shot ever at the position and the same with his DC. Yet what also worries me is said HC/DC are ready to blow up our D despite it being #2 in the NFL against the pass and #15 overall despite being God awful against the run. That said I'm happy to see that we do have an OC AND a QB coach. In other words no someone sharing the position. Yet all and all I'm not overly impressed.

I hate to be negative but look at that coaching staff again, we have a retread HC who wasn't on anybody's radar. Yet I think Gailey might prove me wrong because he has been a regular season winner where ever he seems to go which is a positive sign. Hopefully he can fix the offense. His choice of OC is a guy taking his first shot ever at the position and the same with his DC. Yet what also worries me is said HC/DC are ready to blow up our D despite it being #2 in the NFL against the pass and #15 overall despite being God awful against the run. That said I'm happy to see that we do have an OC AND a QB coach. In other words no someone sharing the position. Yet all and all I'm not overly impressed.

Can we please stop using that term retread, its called experience, if he didnt have any HC exp. then he'd be a rookie HC, the hot new Coordinator on the block, BTW how did that work out for us (Mularky/greggo). Gailey got fired by egomaniac todd haley right before the season, that plays a big part in why he wasnt on our radar.

The defense changing to a 3-4 shouldnt affect the coverage scheme, they will still be in a cover 2 shell, if anything,, the increased pressure created by the 3-4 allignment (supposedly) would create more opportunities for the secondary to make plays. Edwards successfully converted miami from a 4-3 to 3-4 he can do it here too.

Shanahan would have been a retread too, just an arrogant, overpaid one.

Bellicheat was a retread, as have several other winning coaches.

If we would have hired a guy out of NE people would have thought differently, because they came from some great system.

Maybe this is the beginning of another great system? Everybody has to start somewhere...

I think this is a sign of ralph handing the reigns to the men he trusts, he trusts russ to oversee Buddy, whom he also trusts, Buddy brought in chan who obviously feels the need to have several specialized coaches to maximize the teams potential. They all have their departments, and I think it will be better this way.

They need to invest in scouting. I think it's too late for this year though.

I know I'm just an armchair QB/coach, but I've always thought that if I were in charge of a football team, first thing I'd do is bring in a bunch of coaches. Really well coached players of average talent will succeed more often than poorly coached players of great talent. Ideally, you want both, but, I think we can look to New England as a recent example of a team coached in such a way that the scheme dominates, and players can be subbed to an extent. I'd like to think we'll be a young, well coached team now that will hit a high peak in a few years and last - which is something the coaches have said they're interested in - long term success.

I know I'm just an armchair QB/coach, but I've always thought that if I were in charge of a football team, first thing I'd do is bring in a bunch of coaches. Really well coached players of average talent will succeed more often than poorly coached players of great talent. Ideally, you want both, but, I think we can look to New England as a recent example of a team coached in such a way that the scheme dominates, and players can be subbed to an extent. I'd like to think we'll be a young, well coached team now that will hit a high peak in a few years and last - which is something the coaches have said they're interested in - long term success.

Coaches and scouts. I don't really have any sense at all of the size of an average NFL scouting operation, or the cost of it, but how much could a scout possibly make? Even saying it's $100k, you can hire 50 scouts for the price of your first round pick. If just one of those guys can turn up a real talent that fell to day two, it seems like a huge payoff. I'm sure there's a question of diminishing marginal returns at some point, but still, it seems largely affordable for an NFL team to have a guy at every single Div-1A game.

Not to pee in your cheerios, but you could have 100 coaches and if they don't have a brain between them all what good is it?

New GM Buddy Nix even mentioned in his first PR statement that there is a severe learning curve to an NFL coach. Although it appears to be the same job college vs pro's, its very different.

For my money I'd rather see an experienced NFL offensive coordinator on the sidelines calling plays and setting up the offense. I suppose Gailey will need to train most of his staff in their jobs, which will take time. So I suspect that this first year will be a wash, if the Bills get to 7-9 I'll be greatly surprised.

I'm just very disappointed that the Bills settled for Gailey when Marty wanted the job.

Can we please stop using that term retread, its called experience, if he didnt have any HC exp. then he'd be a rookie HC, the hot new Coordinator on the block, BTW how did that work out for us (Mularky/greggo). Gailey got fired by egomaniac todd haley right before the season, that plays a big part in why he wasnt on our radar.

The defense changing to a 3-4 shouldnt affect the coverage scheme, they will still be in a cover 2 shell, if anything,, the increased pressure created by the 3-4 allignment (supposedly) would create more opportunities for the secondary to make plays. Edwards successfully converted miami from a 4-3 to 3-4 he can do it here too.

If the defense couldn't stay in their gaps with 4 up front to stop the run, how to you think only 3 D linemen will handle 5 O players. It might get really ugly this first year.

I really think this could be worth a few wins. A good S&C program and good coaches as teachers.

I just hope that Chan is a good game day coach and can make adjustments at halftime.

I will assume he can get a flag out of his pocket and forcefully toss it on the field although we have seen even that small task get botched.

This is the key. I thought that Jauron was actually pretty good from Monday to Saturday. He understood game planning, commanded the respect of his players and assembled a good staff (with the possible exception of OC). His game management, decision making and game day leadership were very weak however, and it cost the Bills several football games.

I love re-treads that have made the playoffs in their only two seasons as a head coach. The not impressed thing is hilarious- quick who's the saints OC ? - you have no idea

Chan Gailey - Head Coach

Daryl Daye - Assistant to the Head Coach

Curtis Modkins - Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs Coach

George Cortez - Quarterbacks Coach

Joe D'Alessandris - Offensive Line Coach

Bobby Johnson - Assistant Offensive Line Coach

Stan Hixon - Wide Receivers Coach

Bob Bicknell - Tight Ends Coach

Kevin Patullo - Offensive Quality Control

George Edwards - Defensive Coordinator

George Catavolos - Secondary Coach

DeMontie Cross - Inside Linebackers Coach

Bob Sanders - Outside Linebackers Coach

Giff Smith - Defensive Line Coach

Adrian White - Defensive Quality Control

Bruce DeHaven - Special Teams Coordinator

Stan Kwan - Assistant Special Teams Coach

Eric Ciano - Co-Head Strength and Conditioning Coach

John Gamble - Co-Head Strength and Conditioning Coach

This tells me that Ralph might be getting the hint that he does not have all of his faculties to run an NFL team the way he used to. Maybe someone told him that he is turning into Al Davis of the East coast. That should wake up the dead. I like the changes they have made. Buddy and Chan have a plan for the Bills. That's more than anyone has had in the past 10 years as a HC for the Bills. Go Bills!!!

I like this coaching staff.

In regards to college scouting - don't you think that the depth of recent experience in the college ranks that the new coaches bring will pay off this draft day? College coaches know their own players - and those that they have prepared to play against. There's about ten new pairs of eyes and ears at OBD that are very attuned to this year's crop of college talent.

50 years of Bills history say RW doesn't give the reigns to anyone.

How's this for experience:

Graham: Bills Staff Inexperience

The coverage scheme will change drastically. Now, the CB's won't be responsible for the short zone, and safeties won't be playing CF like they did in DJ's C2 scheme. CB's will have more M2M responsibility, and LB's won't be asked to take the middle of the field on passing plays.

This board ceases to amaze.