Coaching Staff - Does anyone

Bob in STL

Not to pee in your cheerios, but you could have 100 coaches and if they don't have a brain between them all what good is it?

New GM Buddy Nix even mentioned in his first PR statement that there is a severe learning curve to an NFL coach. Although it appears to be the same job college vs pro's, its very different.

For my money I'd rather see an experienced NFL offensive coordinator on the sidelines calling plays and setting up the offense. I suppose Gailey will need to train most of his staff in their jobs, which will take time. So I suspect that this first year will be a wash, if the Bills get to 7-9 I'll be greatly surprised.

I'm just very disappointed that the Bills settled for Gailey when Marty wanted the job.

Given your philosophy you would of hired Sean Payton as the Saints OC but you would not hire him as a HC?

Quantity does not = quality.

These guys are mostly college coaches. As usual, Buffalo is the team to practice on, then move on or disappear.

Everybody talks about the Parcells coaching tree. Over the years (Giants, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys and Dolphins) you will find that many of his position coaches are first time coaches from college, many of his coordinators are first time coordinators, etc. Many have moved on to other places and to success. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so.

I hate to be negative but look at that coaching staff again, we have a retread HC who wasn't on anybody's radar. Yet I think Gailey might prove me wrong because he has been a regular season winner where ever he seems to go which is a positive sign. Hopefully he can fix the offense. His choice of OC is a guy taking his first shot ever at the position and the same with his DC. Yet what also worries me is said HC/DC are ready to blow up our D despite it being #2 in the NFL against the pass and #15 overall despite being God awful against the run. That said I'm happy to see that we do have an OC AND a QB coach. In other words no someone sharing the position. Yet all and all I'm not overly impressed.

If you want an experienced HC then you get a retread by definition.

If you want new, then you get an unproven person, like our OC and DC. Sean Payton started as a newbie OC and he did fine. Then he was newbie HC and he won a Super Bowl. Comes a time when you have to take a chance and give good people a chance.

Actually our DC has lots of experience. Our defense was poor, even with a number 15 rating. We forced a lot of turnovers and that helped but for the most part we cannot stop third downs and get off of the field. The switch to the 3-4 is just an NFL copycat thing. Right now defenses are more easily disguised in the 3-4 which is a big advantage.

I don't know if RW has turned over the reins (BTW, "reigns" are what kings do; "reins" are what control horses) but it surely seems that Nix has a commitment from him to spend more money. One of the things he mentioned in one of his public appearances was that the Bills were understaffed a bit in the scouting department and that he would be hiring more scouts to correct that. I don't think he would have said that if he didn't already have those expenses approved.

50 years of Bills history say RW doesn't give the reigns to anyone.

How's this for experience:

Graham: Bills Staff Inexperience

The coverage scheme will change drastically. Now, the CB's won't be responsible for the short zone, and safeties won't be playing CF like they did in DJ's C2 scheme. CB's will have more M2M responsibility, and LB's won't be asked to take the middle of the field on passing plays.

This board ceases to amaze.

so this coaching staff has a total of 140 yrs nfl experience, thats a bad thing?

also, you can incorporate the c2 with a 3-4, esp if you drop either the ILB or OLb into coverage, OLb can help cover the flats, nothing is definite, the 3-4 would allow for more disguised coverage.