Polian Blames Superbowl Loss....

Bill from NYC

I didn't say that the QBs decided the game. What I said was that--if it proves anything in the QB vs. OL debate--the Superbowl supported the QB side of things moreso than the OL, as evidenced by the numbers.

that would support an argument in opposition to either of those statements. So, if it says anything at all (and I never claimed it did), the Superbowl would support the QB side of the QB vs. OL debate. That's all I was trying to say, and it's not laughable or uninformed in the least. It's 100% fact-based.

Disagree. The Saints D made the play that decided the game. Not Brees. The deciding play was defensive, as the final few minutes was yet to be played. Manning's throw was fine. The defender made the play, the wideout did not. The general consensus is that Wayne ran the wrong route for a "hot" throw vs the blitz. In that regard, he probably had little chance of a play on the ball, therefore the correct play would be to play the DB even if a penalty was incurred. You still would have another play. The ball was where it was supposed to be, the receiver was not. Absolutely nothing wrong with PM's throw there. Give credit to the Saints DB, that is my point. Brees was the popular pick for MVP, but did not decide this game by a long shot. The game was won on D and special teams, with a slight edge in coaching as well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bother with trying to change ICE's view about taking a qb with our first pick. He is incorrigible. My preference is still addressing the OL first. However, if Nix has the conviction that Clausen or Bradford are capable of being our franchise qb and he has them rated high as players then I'm not against going in that direction. ICE has moved me a little on this issue. But I still believe that Nix is going to address the LOT first.

Agreed. Fans need to hope for the best player. To pick a player based mostly on position, is what bad teams do. IMO, this draft doesn't have a stud QB. I'd feel more comfortable seeing the Bills go in another direction with their first pick. Of course, my opinion is based on limited information, just like everyone else's here.

A really good QB would be nice though. Quarterback is infinitely more important than any other position on the field or within the organization. If you are lucky enough to land a stud QB, your team will be in the hunt most seasons. A very good QB dominates in todays NFL, even with a mediocre o-line. The league's rules have changed the way the game is played.

Disagree. The Saints D made the play that decided the game. Not Brees. The deciding play was defensive, as the final few minutes was yet to be played. Manning's throw was fine. The defender made the play, the wideout did not. The general consensus is that Wayne ran the wrong route for a "hot" throw vs the blitz. In that regard, he probably had little chance of a play on the ball, therefore the correct play would be to play the DB even if a penalty was incurred. You still would have another play. The ball was where it was supposed to be, the receiver was not. Absolutely nothing wrong with PM's throw there. Give credit to the Saints DB, that is my point. Brees was the popular pick for MVP, but did not decide this game by a long shot. The game was won on D and special teams, with a slight edge in coaching as well.

You're welcomed to disagree, but I've seen no such consensus regarding Wayne. In fact, in Peter King's MMQB column today, he called it a "bad interception" by Manning.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...ffseason/1.html

As I stated, Wayne ran a bad route, but Porter was sitting on that route the entire play, and he was just waiting for Manning to make that throw.

Again, I did not say that Brees made the deciding play. What I said was that he made the plays he needed to make when he needed to make them. Manning did not. I mean, Manning did have the ball in his hands after the Porter interception and failed to get his team in the end zone. Hence my statement that he didn't make the plays he needed to make when he needed to make them. I'm not slamming Manning here, and I'm not putting Brees on a pedestal, I'm simply stating that Brees outplayed Manning in one game. That statement, in my opinion, is far less of a stretch than saying that the play of the two OLs was the difference in the game, as by all things measurable the Colt OL outplayed the Saint OL.

i have a completely different take on Polian blaming the O-line........

i believe his criticism is directed specifically at Jeff Saturday. i think Polian is still a lil P.O.'d at Jeff Saturday for Jeff's public and critical remarks directed at Polian, for NOT letting the team take a shot at immortality by playing their starters and going for a perfect 19-0 record, instead of resting them.

watch Saturday get cut right after they sign Manning to a new deal.

as far as indy losing, i blame it on the fact that 3 of their 4 highest paid players were injured (Sanders, Freeney & Wayne).

also, the colts played not to lose and the Saints took chances and played to win (coaching).

Manning played GREAT and Brees played better.

Don't bother with trying to change ICE's view about taking a qb with our first pick. He is incorrigible. My preference is still addressing the OL first. However, if Nix has the conviction that Clausen or Bradford are capable of being our franchise qb and he has them rated high as players then I'm not against going in that direction. ICE has moved me a little on this issue. But I still believe that Nix is going to address the LOT first.

There are two schools of thought at work, and they are (IMO) mutually exclusive.

There's the school of thought that says that the QB is the most important component of a team, regardless of the OL you put in front of him, and so a team should grab a franchise QB before anything else (provided that they don't currently have one, as we currently do not) if they have the opportunity. I am a proponent of this school of thought.

Then there's the idea that Buffalo has to draft a QB this year at #9 to fulfill their need for a franchise QB. Again, this idea is mutually exclusive from the first idea. I do not subscribe to this theory. I think that if (and only if) the Bills believe that a QB available at the 9th pick is their franchise guy, they should take him without a moment's hesitation. If that's not the case, then the best player on the board should be the pick, regardless of position. That's how good teams get good, and that's how they stay good. They build around marquee talent. My personal opinion regarding this year's draft is that the QB class outside of Bradford is very suspect in terms of what Buffalo needs, so unless Bradford is available they should go best player available.

Just my 1 cent.

The defense ended up being a factor in the end but they hardly decided the game. The QBs went a combined 63 of 84 for 614 yards and 3tds. The o-lines gave up a combined 1 whopping sack. Yes, there was decent pressure at times but the QBs certainly handled it. The only reason that this game wasn't a complete shootout was because both teams were slightly out of sync and dropped passes. The interception will be the most memorable play but both QBs were sharp and one finally flinched at the end.

I probably should have said "critical position" because if we draft a friggin' DB or something off the wall, I'm gonna shiv a mofo.

I completely agree! I do not want to see this team use its first round pick on any sort of DB, an interior OL, or an ILB. Or--especially!--on a RB!! A running back would be absolutely ridiculous at #9. Even worse than a DB, and that's saying a lot! :w00t:

It's called deflecting criticism from your all-world QB, Bill.

Yeah, that's the thing about Polian ... he's so sensitive. He's always trying to protect one player or another. You always catch him crying and coming back from therapy. He's just a big ball of mush. Can't count on him for talking straight.

Sarcasm off.

I completely agree! I do not want to see this team use its first round pick on any sort of DB, an interior OL, or an ILB. Or--especially!--on a RB!! A running back would be absolutely ridiculous at #9. Even worse than a DB, and that's saying a lot! :w00t:

Relax. They won't use it on a DB, interior OL, or RB. They may use it on a LB like McClain, depending on the value at the spot.

The Bills are converting their defense to a 3-4, a defense they ran back in the day, but one that they're horribly equipped to staff right now. I don't think going after an ILB is a bad idea if the circumstances work out that way. For instance, if there's no OT or QB worth the 9th overall selection, then take the best available player that will help you. Just my opinion, but I'd take a guy like Rolando McClain over basically anyone out there, w/ the exception of Ndamukong Suh or Russell Okung, who probably will not be available w/ the 9th overall pick.

Yeah, that's the thing about Polian ... he's so sensitive. He's always trying to protect one player or another. You always catch him crying and coming back from therapy. He's just a big ball of mush. Can't count on him for talking straight.

Sarcasm off.

Right, because it's not like Polian's ever responded in a rubber-band fashion to criticism of his team. He certainly never did any of the following:

- Emphatically told Buffalo fans that wanted Jim Kelly benched to "get out of town"

- Lobbed a derogatory slur to the team Owner's daughter

- Ranted to the media about officiating subsequent to the 2003 AFC Championship game and campaigned for a rules change

- Ended a radio show 5 minutes early after facing repeated criticism for pulling starters during the '09 season

Thank goodness he's not an overly-emotional guy that reacts in anger and haste to things that fans say.

/sarcasm off

reggie wayne seemed off his game that day

had that deer in headlights look

Reggie Wayne sucked all post season. I know he draws the top corner usually, but still, the guy was invisible. Even on that pick that sealed the game, his job on that play is to seal the corner with his body, THEN turn for the ball.

scroll down just a bit It is right after he mentions Maybin in a 3/4.

>>>>> It may not mean a whole lot but Indianapolis president Bill Polian put the blame for the Colts' upset Super Bowl loss squarely on the shoulders of the offensive line.<<<<<

Are you reading this ICE? Great qb or not, football teams need blocking. The Bills will lose until they are a big, strong team that can block, stop the run and rush the passer.

A flashy new first round quarterback will in all probability NOT solve our problems. Marv and Dick are thankfully gone. It is time to build a team that opponents fear.

I am all for building in the trenches but the fact is that we need both, a solid QB and a solid OL. The question in the draft is how to we walk away with both? Lets say we get lucky and Bradford or Clausen is still there at 9. If we take one of them, then we need that LT in the second. So the question becomes, what are the odds we find a good LT in the second? Lets say we pass on the QB and land our LT in the first, maybe its Bulaga, maybe its the Rutgers guy, whatever. Then the question is what are the odds we find a good QB in the second?

I think the odds of finding a good QB in the second or even the third round are significantly lower than the odds of finding a solid LT in those rounds. Part of that is because I don't think much at all of Colt McCoy and even less of Tebow. Tony Pike is interesting, I am looking forward to what he does at the combine. That Robinson guy didn't look too bad at the senior bowl either. The draft appears to be a bit heavier on LT talent thane

Right, because it's not like Polian's ever responded in a rubber-band fashion to criticism of his team. He certainly never did any of the following:

- Emphatically told Buffalo fans that wanted Jim Kelly benched to "get out of town"

- Lobbed a derogatory slur to the team Owner's daughter

- Ranted to the media about officiating subsequent to the 2003 AFC Championship game and campaigned for a rules change

- Ended a radio show 5 minutes early after facing repeated criticism for pulling starters during the '09 season

Thank goodness he's not an overly-emotional guy that reacts in anger and haste to things that fans say.

/sarcasm off

Yeah, that was exactly my point. Not clear why you're answering me sarcastically when you seem to entirely agree with me.

Polian gets angry and says what he means. He doesn't stroke egos, he isn't particularly sensitive and he's also not stupid enough to think that blaming the blameless would do wonders for team unity.

If he said the o-line is at fault then he thinks the o-line is at fault.

I am all for building in the trenches but the fact is that we need both, a solid QB and a solid OL. The question in the draft is how to we walk away with both? Lets say we get lucky and Bradford or Clausen is still there at 9. If we take one of them, then we need that LT in the second. So the question becomes, what are the odds we find a good LT in the second? Lets say we pass on the QB and land our LT in the first, maybe its Bulaga, maybe its the Rutgers guy, whatever. Then the question is what are the odds we find a good QB in the second?

I think the odds of finding a good QB in the second or even the third round are significantly lower than the odds of finding a solid LT in those rounds. Part of that is because I don't think much at all of Colt McCoy and even less of Tebow. Tony Pike is interesting, I am looking forward to what he does at the combine. That Robinson guy didn't look too bad at the senior bowl either. The draft appears to be a bit heavier on LT talent thane

Yeah, Bradford or Clausen should be the only reason to skip one of the top LTs, as long as value is still there at LT at #9, and it might not be.

Who gets the blame? The owner? Everyone BUT the GM?

Come on--really? This isn't a tricky one.

The GM assembles the best team possible, including the coaching staff. If they can't execute or consistently choke, how is that the GM's fault? Who did Polian NOT get for the Colts?? Who have they been missing all these years when they have managed only one SB despite all their talent?

You're just making an argument for the sake of it.

Come on--really? This isn't a tricky one.

The GM assembles the best team possible, including the coaching staff. If they can't execute or consistently choke, how is that the GM's fault? Who did Polian NOT get for the Colts?? Who have they been missing all these years when they have managed only one SB despite all their talent?

You're just making an argument for the sake of it.

Which gets me back to my original question: who IS to blame?

I would have though d-line was bigger issue - hard for Manning and o-line to do much when they spent a nearly all of the 2Q on the sidelines then did not get the ball to start 2H due to special teams miscue.

I agree about why the Colts lost is because of the defense couldn't get off the field. Mannings' ill advised pass sealed the deal. Also don't forget about the onside kick. If Mannings and the Colts offense played more aggressively and put points on the board early, it would change the way the Saints defense played against him. Maybe more blitzes and that mean more one-on-one. The outcome of the game could be different. I think Gregg Wiliams got into Mannings' head. His defense baited him all day with deep coverage and hooked him at the end. I blame the Colts' coaches for not preparing his players for the game. Their players were not playing with emotion. The Colts with their conservative game plan going in, losing that game was the only logical conclusion.

As of drafting OL or QB, I think you grab the best player. If you see a Peyton Manning on the board, grab him regardless if you need an LT. They don't come by every year. But if all being equal, draft an OL. It takes five people to form a line but only one QB can play at a time. So you will need more good linemen. The Bills are bad in all phases in offense so we cannot get picky. If there is no franchise QB available, take the best LT available. If that is not available, pick a nose tackle. Too many holes, too few first round picks.