Hampton for 3-4 nose

billsevans

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article Buffalo News

Makes sense to go after him. I personally have like Kyle Williams and he does a good job, but he is to undersized to play itin this scheme. Could be a good fit.

Doubt Steelers will let him go. All the reports down here from local beat writers and so-called insiders is that Steelers will put franchise tag on Hampton if they can't sign him. His franchise tag salary will be about the same as they paid him last year so it won't be a big financial hit for them.

Doubt Steelers will let him go. All the reports down here from local beat writers and so-called insiders is that Steelers will put franchise tag on Hampton if they can't sign him. His franchise tag salary will be about the same as they paid him last year so it won't be a big financial hit for them.

Don't know whether you read the article or not or how accurate it is but FWIW here's Sully's take:

Pittsburgh could slap the franchise tag on him for $7 million, but the Steelers are likely to let him test the market.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/st...-hampton/20545/

No idea how reliable this is, but it is a Steelers site that claims a franchise tag is unlikely. Also, Hampton's camp has stated that if franchised he will hold out.

Pickett not likely to be franchised either

So there may be NT options in free agency if the Bills are willing to pay.

32-year-old Schobel wants to spend more time in Texas, huh?

How about Schobel and Lynch to Houston for their RD2#50?

Houston wants a RB and DE out of this offseason. Source

Get Hampton for DT and you have the best Nose Tackle for 3 years.

Now I want the best 3-4DE in the draft (Odrick) and the best complement to Fred Jackson (Tate).

Trade Down to #17 with San Fran. They want OT and they like Anthony Davis. We get their #17, their RD3#79 this year and next.

RD1#17 Jared Odrick DE 34

RD2#41 Brandon Spikes ILB

RD2#50 Jon Asamoah OT

RD3#72 Dan LeFevour QB

RD3#79 Greg Hardy OLB Mississippi

RD4#104 Ben Tate RBF Auburn

RD5#136 Z Robinson QB Okla St

RD6#168 Riley Cooper WR Florida

RD7#182 Blair White WR Michigan State

RD7Comp Nathan Overbay OT Eastern Washington

Yes, I'm taking 2 QB's and letting them 4 of them compete for 3 positions and a practice squad.

Yes, I know I'm trading Davis for Asamoah. Both will rise after the combine and I like Asamoah.

Yes, I'm taking 2 WR's but I'm thinking that TO and Parrish may be done. Evans-Hardy-Johnson-Jenkins-Reed-White-Cooper.

Yes, I think our LB's will have attitude!

I would absolutely be willing to pony up the money for this guy. The NT position is probably the most important position to the success of the 3-4 and that's exactly what he is. This would give us a ton more flexibility in the draft and we could simply go OT, LB, QB with our first 3.

That's funny. Is the money coming out of your account?

if he buys tix and gear than your damn right its coming out of his account. remember the fans pay the bills.

edit: oh and that would be a nice draft. our defense would be rock solid and the offense could move the chains and get that running game goin

Now I want the best 3-4DE in the draft (Odrick) and the best complement to Fred Jackson (Tate).

Trade Down to #17 with San Fran. They want OT and they like Anthony Davis. We get their #17, their RD3#79 this year and next.

RD2#50 Jon Asamoah OT

RD3#72 Dan LeFevour QB

Yes, I'm taking 2 QB's and letting them 4 of them compete for 3 positions and a practice squad.

Yes, I know I'm trading Davis for Asamoah. Both will rise after the combine and I like Asamoah.

Yes, I'm taking 2 WR's but I'm thinking that TO and Parrish may be done. Evans-Hardy-Johnson-Jenkins-Reed-White-Cooper.

I love everything here except the QB part. I don't exactly hate the QB part. I just have mixed feelings.

I love everything here except the QB part. I don't exactly hate the QB part. I just have mixed feelings.

No kidding I say don't worry about the QB position this year in the draft because the talent isn't there like it will be next year (Locker, Mallet, and Luck). We don't want to waste more time trying to find a diamond in the rough that isn't there ie Edwards. I say get a FA or trade for a veteran (McNabb, K. Collins, D. Anderson) this year build a lot of D line, O line and LB depth in the draft and get your real future QB next year! Locker, Mallet and Luck all have stronger arms like the ones we need for buffalo weather then any QB coming out this year. (Mallet might have the strongest arm to come out of college since Elway).

No kidding I say don't worry about the QB position this year in the draft because the talent isn't there like it will be next year (Locker, Mallet, and Luck). We don't want to waste more time trying to find a diamond in the rough that isn't there ie Edwards. I say get a FA or trade for a veteran (McNabb, K. Collins, D. Anderson) this year build a lot of D line, O line and LB depth in the draft and get your real future QB next year! Locker, Mallet and Luck all have stronger arms like the ones we need for buffalo weather then any QB coming out this year. (Mallet might have the strongest arm to come out of college since Elway).

I am with you on not addressing QB in the draft this year. I wouldn't spend a 3rd on one of the weak left-overs at QB. What's the point in that? They don't need another guy that can hopefully develop into a long-term backup. They have

a stable of those guys already in Fitz, Edwards and probably Brohm. A 3rd in this year's draft should net you a pretty good player that has the potential to be a long-term starter at some position, provided that you don't reach for a weak

prospect to fill a need. I'd anticipate that there will be much better LB, WR, RB and maybe DL prospects available at that point than any of the QBs will be.

My only nit with your post is that you included Derek Anderson in the list of potential veteran stop-gaps. Man, he might be worse than Edwards and Fitzpatrick. Do you remember the Browns-Bills game? Anderson was AWFUL in that game.

If we do manage to land Hampton, I still think we would need to address the NT position early in the draft (as a replacement down the line). That way, our drafted NT would get a great mentor in the form of Hampton, while developing into a monster in a few years, whether that be Dan Williams or Terrence Cody.

I like Astrobots draft there, but I can't imagine ignoring the OT position. I'm all for trading Lynch and Schobel for more picks, but don't really see them getting much value. Schobel would have to commit to not retiring and most teams know why we are dumping Lynch. But yeah, even for a 4th round pick, I'd do it.

I don't see the need for a DE so early in the 3-4 since Kyle Williams and Stroud would pry slide into those positions. You make that first pick another OT and I'm good. Also, I'm actually okay with our WR's as Evans, Johnson, Reed, and Hardy. I would rather grab depth at other positions in the later rounds than at WR

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/st...-hampton/20545/

No idea how reliable this is, but it is a Steelers site that claims a franchise tag is unlikely. Also, Hampton's camp has stated that if franchised he will hold out.

Pickett not likely to be franchised either

So there may be NT options in free agency if the Bills are willing to pay.

"So there may be NT options in free agency if the Bills are willing to pay."

and there's the rub.

in a year with no minimum and a lockout expected in 2011, pigs will fly before Ralph spends big money on long term free agent contracts in 2010.

Gailey will need to make do with draft picks and scrubs.

RD2#50 Jon Asamoah OT

RD3#72 Dan LeFevour QB

Riley Cooper is going to play pro baseball for way more money and way less physical abuse