Deadliest Catch captain Phil Harris

BarkLessWagMore

Sad but not at all shocking. He lived hard, smoked hard and drank hard. At some point, probably early, that lifestyle is going to sink the person living it.

Definetely a hard lifestyle.... being up for days straight smoking packs and packs a day, living on caffeine, thats tough

Yeah, but I thought he might actually pull through. I betcha the other guys (most of whom have the same lifestyle) are a little nervous, hopefully enough that they'll reconsider and take better care of themselves.

The new season starts April 13. I don't think I can watch it this year. Last year when Jake Anderson's sister died, it was sad. THIS year Jake's dad is missing (left home in early January, they found his truck on a logging road, but the search is called off) and then Phil dies...I think that's way more than people want to see. Too much tragedy.

This sucks.. I thought he would pull through also. He was showing signs of improvement. Must have thrown a big clot.

Staying up for 3 days and living off Red Bull and cigarettes isn't good for someone his age. RIP Capt. Phil

im not one who gets upset about "celebrity deaths" but this is sad. maybe because we knew him not as a celebrity, but for who he was. kinda bummed to hear about it. but like others have said, unfortunately not surprised...

Yeah - charm of the show is that these are real people doing a very hard job.

Phil Harris always struck me as a person who would never leave you a doubt about where he stood and what he thought about you. He was the kind of guy that I would have no problem buying a beer for if I bumped into him in a bar. I admire that the show and associated celebrity (as big or small as it might be) did not go to these guys heads. DC will not be the same without him. May he RIP

He was my favorite captain out of them all and it sounds like his boys loved him very much. Unfortunately, when you smoke like a factory chimney and do not take care of yourself and add all the stress of running a business like that....it was just a matter of time. Tough having a parent pass away like that.

Sad story.

Yeah, these people are a different breed.

Our neighbors own a fishing boat and are gone for most of the year fishing in the Ross Sea in Antarctica. (In fact they just got into port on Tuesday after being gone for 3 months.)

Their stories of the storms around South Georgia island and Cape Horn are crazy. No f'ing way.

I'm very happy paddling around the beaches here in my sea kayak. That's good enough for me!

Link

Apparently Captain Phil let the cameras roll until the very end. Should be interesting to see how much the family allows to air.

Cap'n Phil was nothing if not very dedicated to whatever he was doing.

It'll be B word of a season for the producers and editors to put together, though. I hope they do right by his boys.

another good link regarding Capt Phil

first hand story from Mike Rowe

Great read...thanks!

I love the show and everyone on it to different degrees. Phil was probably the captain I liked the most because I felt that he was the most genuine...he wore his emotions on his sleeve and always seemed to be completely honest about everything. His interactions with his sons was both heartwarming and so very very intersting. Such a challange to teach sternly and show love at the same time.

RIP Captain Phil...you will be missed.

• 4 months later...