Bills versus San Diego drafts

Pete

I had this in another thread- just thought some would be interested-

Maybin- could of had Oher or Okrapo or Cushing or Harvin

Whitner- could of had Ngata

Hardy- could of had Ray Rice or DeSean Jackson

McCargo- could of had DeAngelo or Mangold or Jones Drew or Cromartie

Youboty- could of had Brandon Marshall or Owen Daniels or Jahri Evans or Elvis or Leon Washington

!@#$ing Bledsoe- could of had Aaron Rogers

Roscoe- could of had Frank Gore or Justin Tuck or Marion Barber

Tim Anderson- could of had Matt Schaub or Chris Cooley

Euhus- could of had Jerome Allen

Dylan Mcfarland- could of had Wes Walker

Mcgahee could of had Dallas Clark or Asomugha

Kelsay- could of had Boldin or Osi or Briggs or Witten

Williams- could of had Haynesworth or Ed Reed or John Henderson or Dwight Freeney or Javon Walker !@#$ING MINDBLOWING THAT WE COULD !@#$ THIS PICK UP!

Josh Reed- could of had LeCharles Bentley

Coy Wire- could of had David Garrard

Justin Bannon- could of had Aaron Kampman

Mike Pucillo- could of had James Harrison or Bart Scott

We have not had a solid draft since 2001 IMO. Last years draft was good- but we blew the Maybin pick. No **** you can do this with every draft. But my point is there was talent on the boards when we selected. We just chose to pick inferior players. No wonder we have sucked for so long!

Nice list but do that for every other team in the NFL and i bet you will find similar results.

So I chose San Diego

San Diego-

Antoine Cason- good value pick

no second or third round picks

Craig Davis

no second or third round picks- weak draft class

Cromartie- Probowler

McNeil- Probowler

Whitehurst- backup QB

no 4th round pick

Shawn Merriman-probowler

Luis Castillo

Vincent Jackson-probowler

Darren Sproles

Eli Manning- traded for Philip Rivers and draft picks that ended up being Nate Kaeding and Shawn Merriman. A+ San Diego

Olshansky

Nick Hardwick-probowler

Shawn Phillips

Michael Turner-probowler

Drayton Florence

Mike Scifries probowler

Hanik Milligan probowler

Antonio Gates probowler

Kris Dielman probowler

Tomlinson-probowler

Brees-probowler

Compare this list to the chumps we have drafted. San Diego traded so many high picks away-- and still blows away our past 10 drafts. We draft tomato cans, they draft probowlers. That is why Chargers are tough, and we have not made the playoffs in a decade

You failed to list the players San Diego could have had. You did that for the Bills now do that for Chargers. If it turns out that the Chargers were better then good we have Nix now.

Also make sure the pro bowlers you listed aren't fillins.

31 other teams could have had Aaron Schobel. all the teams could have had Jarius Byrd numerous times.

Same with Jason Peters, which we got a 1st & 3rd for.

I don't pretend to think the Bills have been great at drafting, but everyone could have had anyone. If everyone knew Tom Brady was going to turn out the way he did, he would have been the 1st pick in the draft. Instead, 31 other teams could have had him many times over.

31 other teams could have had Aaron Schobel. all the teams could have had Jarius Byrd numerous times.

I don't pretend to think the Bills have been great at drafting, but everyone could have had anyone. If everyone knew Tom Brady was going to turn out the way he did, he would have been the 1st pick in the draft. Instead, 31 other teams could have had him many times over.

:wallbash: really? numerous times? He was a 2nd round pick, meaning some teams had 1 crack at him, and IIRC the Cowboys had no cracks at him.

22 probowlers were drafted before Schobel. It was a deep draft and we miraculously managed to get a draft pick right. And we got a first, fourth and sixth for Peters. Where is our left tackle? It seems when the Bills have a talented player- they trade them or let them free. Us letting Pat Williams go is retarded. Ditto with Greer. Ditto with Winfield. Ditto with trading for Drew. Ditto with trading for JP. Ditto with trading for RJ. Etc. With the exception of last years draft second round on- please tell me who were good draft picks or trades we made the past 10 years

Terrence McGee Probowler

M Lynch Pro Bowler

K Williams P Bowler

Trade for M Stroud a Pro Bowler last year

L McKelvin number one in AFC in kick return yards as a rookie.

J Byrd Defensive and ROTL finalist and leads the league in Ints

You can play that game with every team....the Bills actually do not lack a lot of talent at many positions what they lack the most by far is a QB over the past decade and that has stunted all growth more than anything.

Over the past decade we have wasted three number one picks for QBx in RJ, Bledsoe and Losman and all have failed....that is the biggest problem.

Pete,

You cant really judge drafts this way although if there was a way to correctly do this it would probably still bear out your point.

We have not drafted well.

Interesting enough I thought that last years draft was one of the best we have had in a while....you cannot base a draft soley on that 1st round pick. To me you have to base it on every player you draft and how many of them stick.

This past years draft

Maybin - well....as of today how do I defend this? I cant.

Wood - everybody thinks this is good pick

Levitre - another solid pick

Byrd - candidate for the pro bowl

Nelson - pass catching te that made plays. Will be a big part of this team next year

Assortment of other db's - maybe or maybe not. Would like to see Lankster get a shot at ST's returner

Harris? Will probably get sent packing because of change in defensive scheme....thats not his fault

Excellent, thank you. We could have played that game all day. Fact of the matter is that there are examples of

good players drafted in every round and any team could be accused of passing over them. Just to add a few to your

list, every team passed on Brett Farve and Drew Breese at least once. There are many many more...

Excellent, thank you. We could have played that game all day. Fact of the matter is that there are examples of

good players drafted in every round and any team could be accused of passing over them. Just to add a few to your

list, every team passed on Brett Farve and Drew Breese at least once. There are many many more...

The most accurate way to judge a team is through its record. The Bills ranked 29 out of 32 teams. The Bills have not made the playoffs in ten consecutive years and still counting. The quality of our drafts over the past number of years is reflected in the team's record.

As bad as the Bills front office has performed over the past decade I see some hope with Buddy Nix as the GM. He is a good scout and personnel person who was associated with a successful operation under Polian when he was with the Bills and with the San Diego franchise under Butler/A.J. Smith. Adding Whaley to the front office is another positive step in that he is looking for quality staffers from other successful teams. The Bills organization has been very insular in its approach. Buddy Nix seems to be secure enough to bring in outside fresh talent to give this very stolid franchise some energy and innovation.

[My only problems with this post is, yes those teams grabbed talented players. but i do believe if we had gotten them with the previous coaching staff they would be worse off than they r now too. jurons staff ,him included ,and the staff before them did nothing to bring our players along successsfully. its all hine sight. lets see what the new batch of coaches can do with them and go from there.

Pete,

You cant really judge drafts this way although if there was a way to correctly do this it would probably still bear out your point.

We have not drafted well.

Interesting enough I thought that last years draft was one of the best we have had in a while....you cannot base a draft soley on that 1st round pick. To me you have to base it on every player you draft and how many of them stick.

This past years draft

Maybin - well....as of today how do I defend this? I cant.

Wood - everybody thinks this is good pick

Levitre - another solid pick

Byrd - candidate for the pro bowl

Nelson - pass catching te that made plays. Will be a big part of this team next year

Assortment of other db's - maybe or maybe not. Would like to see Lankster get a shot at ST's returner

Harris? Will probably get sent packing because of change in defensive scheme....thats not his fault

as good as you think our draft was in 2009 , we still went into the season without a LT or a RT.

probably should have made a few different decisions somewhere

as good as you think our draft was in 2009 , we still went into the season without a LT or a RT.

probably should have made a few different decisions somewhere

We made bad decisions at left tackle.....I dont think we did so at right tackle....we actually had two...

- One of them we moved to the left side without saying "what if" then cut him right before the season

- The other one got hurt.....then his backup got hurt....then his backup got hurt

Bottom line......mistakes were made at the position but not necessarily in the draft as we could have brought in a free agent but none of those things were Nix fault......he is now in charge

We made bad decisions at left tackle.....I dont think we did so at right tackle....we actually had two...

- One of them we moved to the left side without saying "what if" then cut him right before the season

- The other one got hurt.....then his backup got hurt....then his backup got hurt

Bottom line......mistakes were made at the position but not necessarily in the draft as we could have brought in a free agent but none of those things were Nix fault......he is now in charge

gotta love the Bills ability to sell the Inner Circle Jerk to the fans- no one is ever accountable for any decision

The bad picks were not Modrak's fault - although he was head of college scouting

they weren't Buddy Nix's fault although he was the top national scout

they weren't Bandon's fault - he was just he marketing guy

Dick is gone - he made all of the bad picks - but not the good ones.

even better- after the fact, Nix and Modrak claim they really wanted the super-star that was passed over for the bust in fact drafted.

Any team's fans could make the same vague statements about who "they could've had". The obvious choices are Ngata or Bunkley over Whitner and Orakpo or Cushing over Maybin. Those were the two players selected that pretty much all of us were ticked off over. The rest? We could look anywhere and see where other teams have gotten good, if not great, players in the later rounds that we didn't pick. We could go all the way back to 2000 and cry "I can't believe the Bills did not take Brady in the 5th round". :wallbash: