Duffs or Anchor Bar?

BillsFanNC

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez...not only are they covering the Anchor Bar/Duffs war (I vote Duffs, but La Nova, when they are done right, is still my favorite), but they are featuring another battle close to my heart (and clogged arteries) Kreuz and Smitty's BBQ in Lockhart, TX. Kreuz Market gets my vote....I am hungry...gotta hit Lockhart this weekend...

Duffs are the best. La Nova's are great too, but their specialty is really their bbq wings. Anchorbar is a tourist attraction with okay wings, adequate sandwiches, and horrific pizza...but if we're talking wings only, Anchorbar's are okay but don't even deserve to be in the same conversation as Duff's.

Duffs suck. Over Vinegary, non-crispy pieces of nasty chicken. La Nova is the best but Anchor bar has really made a come back and has good wings now.

I can say from a LOT of experience I have never had a non-crispy wing from Duffs. Of course, I order them Extra Crispy wherever I go. I like Duffs sauce and their fearlessness when it comes to Extra Hot (or whatever they call their stupid-hot wings these days). They aren't the best wings I have ever had, but they have always been far better than Anchor Bar, IMO. La Nova is average in everything they make, IMO. Average wings and slightly below average pizza.

Some think they put too much sauce on the wings. I get that. But if you just want less sauce, order them that way. It isn't hard to order things the way you want them. If the place doesn't fulfill your special request, then you have a complaint.

Some of my favorite wing places are no longer around. Tally Ho in Niagara Falls may have made my all-time favorite wings. They have been gone for years. Rudy's on Millersport Highway was a fantastic place for many years, too. RIP Rudy's.

I think Mister Dee's on Beach Road in Cheektowaga makes some of the best wings and beef-on-wecks and fish frys in the world. Maybe not THE best, but damn close. And they are consistent. The rest of the food on the menu is very good, too.

I can say from a LOT of experience I have never had a non-crispy wing from Duffs. Of course, I order them Extra Crispy wherever I go. I like Duffs sauce and their fearlessness when it comes to Extra Hot (or whatever they call their stupid-hot wings these days). They aren't the best wings I have ever had, but they have always been far better than Anchor Bar, IMO. La Nova is average in everything they make, IMO. Average wings and slightly below average pizza.

Some think they put too much sauce on the wings. I get that. But if you just want less sauce, order them that way. It isn't hard to order things the way you want them. If the place doesn't fulfill your special request, then you have a complaint.

Some of my favorite wing places are no longer around. Tally Ho in Niagara Falls may have made my all-time favorite wings. They have been gone for years. Rudy's on Millersport Highway was a fantastic place for many years, too. RIP Rudy's.

I think Mister Dee's on Beach Road in Cheektowaga makes some of the best wings and beef-on-wecks and fish frys in the world. Maybe not THE best, but damn close. And they are consistent. The rest of the food on the menu is very good, too.

I was told it was plain old Franks. And they do taste just like the wings I make at home with 50/50 Franks butter.

I was told it was plain old Franks. And they do taste just like the wings I make at home with 50/50 Franks butter.

Based on my experience, most places in Buffalo use "plain old Franks" usually with some margarine/butter in the mix. Of course, some put in a little of one or more of the following salt/vinegar/cayenne/garlic powder/tabasco/etc. But a good rule of thumb for making "authentic" Buffalo wings is Franks and some margarine or butter.

It seems both Anchor and Duffs do something more dramatic than most of the wing places in WNY, though. That's just based on my taste, though.

(Do you really use 50% butter? WOW that's a lot of butter. You must like really mild wings.)

I love they Anchor Bar suicide wings, but they are hit and miss. Consistency is a big problem for them and when they are busy the wings seem to sit around and show up at the table cold. I will say though, when they are on, they are awesome. I buy the big jug of suicide sauce when I am there and make them at home, at home they are always the same. :(

Based on my experience, most places in Buffalo use "plain old Franks" usually with some margarine/butter in the mix. Of course, some put in a little of one or more of the following salt/vinegar/cayenne/garlic powder/tabasco/etc. But a good rule of thumb for making "authentic" Buffalo wings is Franks and some margarine or butter.

It seems both Anchor and Duffs do something more dramatic than most of the wing places in WNY, though. That's just based on my taste, though.

(Do you really use 50% butter? WOW that's a lot of butter. You must like really mild wings.)

True, they are not that hot. The purpose of the butter is to thicken the sauce so it stays on the wing, rather than dripping into the plate. When I make something with a rough, absorbent coating [say shrimp dipped in egg and cracker crumbs and deep fried] I use 100% Franks.