Does the move to the 3-4

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Maybins career was ever in jeopardy, but a move to 3-4 could def help him get on the field and make a bigger impact. He now has an entire offseason to learn the position, and how to translate his pass rushing skills to OLB, He better work his butt off and crack the starting lineup, If he cant get on the field in this defense then we got a huge problem

yea bc DE's are all suited to play OLB ....... not that easy. idiots

Aaron Maybin has been a 3-4 OLB prospect since he was in college. You're right that all DEs aren't suited to be OLB but it's Maybin's best chance to have an impact. Nice idiots crack too, seemed appropriate. ;)

Its interesting how Maybin will still need to add weight in order to play the OLB spot even in the 3-4. But he is young.

At this point I would say yes he needed saving. I still have high hopes for him but he NOTHING on the field last year. OT's were just having their way with him.

I think he is where he belongs....I honestly think that Schrobel and Maybin can be those OLB's.....I wonder what happens though to our undersized LB's.

This roster is going to look a lot different from now to the beginning of the season.

Its interesting how Maybin will still need to add weight in order to play the OLB spot even in the 3-4. But he is young.

At this point I would say yes he needed saving. I still have high hopes for him but he NOTHING on the field last year. OT's were just having their way with him.

I think he is where he belongs....I honestly think that Schrobel and Maybin can be those OLB's.....I wonder what happens though to our undersized LB's.

This roster is going to look a lot different from now to the beginning of the season.

They look for work

The wishful thinking on this board is hilarious. The thing that jumped out at you when watching Maybin was how stiff he looked. He played straight up and down and showed very little fluiditiy. When he's switched to OLB in a 3-4, he will not be upfield on every play, he will be forced to drop, play in space and learn man coverage. I'm sorry, but I don't see it happening. There is looking lost because you are a rookie and then there is Maybin, who played with ZERO instincts for the position both against the run and pass.

Also, nothing is going to change in his pass rushing steps. A 3-4 OLB plays a 7 technique just like he did this year at end. The only difference is that he'll be standing, which won't be good for him becase he already plays up and down.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see the guy working out here or anywhere else in the NFL. Orakpo on the other hand would be a great fit.

The wishful thinking on this board is hilarious. The thing that jumped out at you when watching Maybin was how stiff he looked. He played straight up and down and showed very little fluiditiy. When he's switched to OLB in a 3-4, he will not be upfield on every play, he will be forced to drop, play in space and learn man coverage. I'm sorry, but I don't see it happening. There is looking lost because you are a rookie and then there is Maybin, who played with ZERO instincts for the position both against the run and pass.

Also, nothing is going to change in his pass rushing steps. A 3-4 OLB plays a 7 technique just like he did this year at end. The only difference is that he'll be standing, which won't be good for him becase he already plays up and down.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see the guy working out here or anywhere else in the NFL. Orakpo on the other hand would be a great fit.

To me Maybin plays exactly like Bryce Paup....and as long as Paup was in the right scheme he is pretty darn good.

They made the same "stiff" remarks about Paup as well.....

To me Maybin plays exactly like Bryce Paup....and as long as Paup was in the right scheme he is pretty darn good.

They made the same "stiff" remarks about Paup as well.....

I don't see Maybin as having the same intensity as Paup. He was a pitbull, cut up and bleeding and lovin every minute of it. I see Maybin more in the mold of Biscuit but with out the bulk. Hopefully he can find his place on the field. It could be worse he could be Vernon Golston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For all the bashing Williams took at least he played until he borrowed the "Fridges" diet plan.

I'm not optimistic about Maybin. The new GM has thrown him under the bus (albeit with euphemisms) a couple of times already, and I suspect that they're wary of another Vernon Gholston situation -- unable to wash their hands of a bust because they're tied to him. Nix has made it very clear that he's not responsible for him, which will make cutting the cord easier. The word at PFW last summer was that he looked terrible in mini camp, and while players do get better, he showed nothing last year. I'm over it - it's not the end of the world if he's a bust; the Bills will move on. It happens to every team. Incidentally, Mark Gaughan has said a number of times that Maybin is incapable of dropping into coverage and playing the pass on anything approaching a regular basis, and that the Bills know that. He said that he's simply not cut out to be a linebacker.

I don't see Maybin as having the same intensity as Paup. He was a pitbull, cut up and bleeding and lovin every minute of it. I see Maybin more in the mold of Biscuit but with out the bulk. Hopefully he can find his place on the field. It could be worse he could be Vernon Golston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For all the bashing Williams took at least he played until he borrowed the "Fridges" diet plan.

Actually Gholston produced better numbers, granted Maybin had less PT. But if he was any good then he would have seen the field more. I think Maybin=Gholston.