Does the move to the 3-4

Its interesting how Maybin will still need to add weight in order to play the OLB spot even in the 3-4. But he is young.

At this point I would say yes he needed saving. I still have high hopes for him but he NOTHING on the field last year. OT's were just having their way with him.

I think he is where he belongs....I honestly think that Schrobel and Maybin can be those OLB's.....I wonder what happens though to our undersized LB's.

This roster is going to look a lot different from now to the beginning of the season.

NYJs: B.Thomas NYJ-6'4" 266, C.Pace 6'4" 265

MIA: J.Taylor 6'6" 255, J. Porter 6'3" 255

NE: P.Woods 6'5" 255, A.Thomas 6'2" 270

BUF: A.Maybin 6'4" 250, A.Schobel 6'4" 243

Looks about right to me.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The interesting part of the 3-4 defense (and correct me if I am wrong), is that it is suited for big players. especially big linebackers, and DE's.

I stated in an earlier post that Kyle Williams looks like he lost a spot. But the more I think about it, Kyle Williams is the same size as Sedrick Ellis. Almost exactly the same if you believe their listings on yahoo sports. So long as he has big guys on either side of him, I think he could pull of the NT position.

The question is, can our current linebackers play the 3-4? All of them are undersized w/ the exception of the terribly unathletic Kawika Mitchell. Poz is more suited for the outside, Ellison can't play anywhere BUT the outside and neither of those two are top pass rushers. Obviously, Maybin seems like a perfect fit. But, that is something that will need to be taught. Maybin has said himself that he has never thought of himself as anything but a DE.

I think this is a much needed move, but Ralph is going to have to be flexible with money this offseason if the Bills have a shot at making this work. Otherwise, it is going to be like the time Jauron tried to install a no huddle offense w/ a terrible offensive line.

Dude.. Kyle Williams will play Defensive End, and I think he would fit really well there. Stroud is too old. The Bills need a nose tackle. Id say get Terrence Cody if he is there in the second.

I just played three games of PS3 Madden 10 using Stroud as my nose tackle and Poz/Maybin/Mitchell/McKelvin as my four linebackers and I tallied 27 sacks!!!! --That's in only 3 games!!!

I think this could be our solution. -- I'll continue playing and let everyone know what the season's results are.

I'm joking, thought it was funny.

To me Maybin plays exactly like Bryce Paup....and as long as Paup was in the right scheme he is pretty darn good.

They made the same "stiff" remarks about Paup as well.....

Bryce Paup was a pro bowl LB in a 4-3 at Green Bay. He also was the top free agent when Buffalo got him and had 30+ sacks already. Not quite sure if that is a proper comparison.

I just played three games of PS3 Madden 10 using Stroud as my nose tackle and Poz/Maybin/Mitchell/McKelvin as my four linebackers and I tallied 27 sacks!!!! --That's in only 3 games!!!

I think this could be our solution. -- I'll continue playing and let everyone know what the season's results are.

I'm joking, thought it was funny.

over a season, that's like 100,000 sacks.

Dude.. Kyle Williams will play Defensive End, and I think he would fit really well there. Stroud is too old. The Bills need a nose tackle. Id say get Terrence Cody if he is there in the second.

Don't rain on the 3-4 parade. ;)

Williams in pass coverage, chugging downfield with a TE or a WR? His shorty arms batting down a pass? Lateral movement sealing off the edge run plays?

Edited by stuckincincy

The interesting part of the 3-4 defense (and correct me if I am wrong), is that it is suited for big players. especially big linebackers, and DE's.

I stated in an earlier post that Kyle Williams looks like he lost a spot. But the more I think about it, Kyle Williams is the same size as Sedrick Ellis. Almost exactly the same if you believe their listings on yahoo sports. So long as he has big guys on either side of him, I think he could pull of the NT position.

The question is, can our current linebackers play the 3-4? All of them are undersized w/ the exception of the terribly unathletic Kawika Mitchell. Poz is more suited for the outside, Ellison can't play anywhere BUT the outside and neither of those two are top pass rushers. Obviously, Maybin seems like a perfect fit. But, that is something that will need to be taught. Maybin has said himself that he has never thought of himself as anything but a DE.

I think this is a much needed move, but Ralph is going to have to be flexible with money this offseason if the Bills have a shot at making this work. Otherwise, it is going to be like the time Jauron tried to install a no huddle offense w/ a terrible offensive line.

I don't think Bruce played much over 260-265 his entire career, except his rookie year, at DE. He might have been listed around 270 or so but I highly doubt he ever actually played at that. So, I wouldn't consider that huge or even big.

NYJs: B.Thomas NYJ-6'4" 266, C.Pace 6'4" 265

MIA: J.Taylor 6'6" 255, J. Porter 6'3" 255

NE: P.Woods 6'5" 255, A.Thomas 6'2" 270

BUF: A.Maybin 6'4" 250, A.Schobel 6'4" 243

Looks about right to me.

The thing is I dont think Maybin was at those weights during the season........I think if they put him on the scale at the end of the year he would have been in the high 230's

Bryce Paup was a pro bowl LB in a 4-3 at Green Bay. He also was the top free agent when Buffalo got him and had 30+ sacks already. Not quite sure if that is a proper comparison.

I didn't mean in terms of production.....but in physical attributes....

We really dont know how good he could have been as a 4-3 linebacker last year he didn't get enough snaps there.

I agree, I didn't know Maybin's carrer was in life support.

Please don't rain on the retard parade...overreaction and dismissal of the kid's entire career after his rookie year is par for the course around here. One of the youngest rookies in the game by the way. ;)

Don't rain on the 3-4 parade. :lol:

Williams in pass coverage, chugging downfield with a TE or a WR? His shorty arms batting down a pass? Lateral movement sealing off the edge run plays?

3-4 defenseive ends go out in pass coverage? In what league? I guess if you consider a zone blitz pass coverage, but then you could have your NT in "coverage". Kyle Williams is our best defensive lineman and they will find a spot where he can contribute.