Does the move to the 3-4

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...Incidentally, Mark Gaughan has said a number of times that Maybin is incapable of dropping into coverage and playing the pass on anything approaching a regular basis, and that the Bills know that. He said that he's simply not cut out to be a linebacker.

I disagree. Please provide a link where Gaughan said Maybin is incapable of dropping into coverage and/or not cut out to be a linebacker. What he said was that Maybin has never done that and there was no opportunity this past season for him to learn how.

Q: Can you tell me what is up with Aaron Maybin? With all the injuries this year, it makes no sense to play a safety at linebacker instead of Maybin. Although he was drafted as a defensive end, he has more size characteristics of a linebacker. Why not see what the kid can do besides standing on the sidelines all year or getting in on only a couple of plays per game. — Greg Mazikowski, Clarence

A: I agree, the Bills should play him more. But he's not a linebacker, at least not this season. He never has dropped in coverage. The only benefit of playing him at linebacker would be if they were willing to drop him in coverage once in awhile, because that way the offense would not be sure if he was rushing or not. Getting him comfortable dropping in coverage is probably a lengthy offseason project. He missed most of training camp, so that probably eliminated any chance of using him that way. Nevertheless, he's big enough to play DE in this scheme. He's bigger than Indianapolis' Robert Mathis. So let him play.

I'm not optimistic about Maybin. The new GM has thrown him under the bus (albeit with euphemisms) a couple of times already, and I suspect that they're wary of another Vernon Gholston situation -- unable to wash their hands of a bust because they're tied to him. Nix has made it very clear that he's not responsible for him, which will make cutting the cord easier. The word at PFW last summer was that he looked terrible in mini camp, and while players do get better, he showed nothing last year. I'm over it - it's not the end of the world if he's a bust; the Bills will move on. It happens to every team. Incidentally, Mark Gaughan has said a number of times that Maybin is incapable of dropping into coverage and playing the pass on anything approaching a regular basis, and that the Bills know that. He said that he's simply not cut out to be a linebacker.

Lavar Arrington serves as his mentor and has had him in summer camps for years. I live in the DC area and Lavar talks about Maybin on his radio show from time to time. He eluded to the fact that the holdout was a bad idea and probably cost him any production this year, but he still thinks the kid will be a special player. He didn't HAVE to give him an endorsement like that. I think the kid could still be good.