Bills offer assistant GM to Doug Whaley

shaker4187

Interesting comments, that include Whaley's name (see last paragraph), by an unidentified source after Nix got his job ....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...raws-criticism/

Regardless of whether Brandon nudged the process toward Nix or Guy in order to preserve Brandon's turf, one league insider expressed strong opinions regarding the decision to go with Nix.

"The Buffalo hire is a joke and a slap in the face to all hard working people in the NFL," the source said. "The Bills have not been to the playoffs in over 10 years and that run will continue for years to come. The owner has made three hires in a row that shows he only cares about mediocrity.

"Four years ago he brings back Marv Levy, who was in his 80's. That didn't work. Two years ago he elevates his marketing director to G.M. and COO and again it doesn't work, and now he elevates a 70-year-old scout to a position that requires work and energy. . . .

"The eight years he spent in San Diego he had the titles Director of College Scouting, Director of Player Personnel, and Assistant G.M. yet he never lived in San Diego. He lived somewhere in Tennessee. . . . Someone who lives in another city is away from the day-to-day operations.

"Bills fans can rest assured that, a year from now, two years from now, and three and four years from now, the team will still be in last place in the AFC East. The Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins continue to make moves to get better while the Bills just tread water. There are good people who were very interested in that job, like Dave Gettelman, Scott Studwell and Doug Whaley that never got a chance. All those guys could have helped that team. The best hope for Bills fans is that the owner decides to sell the team and then someone who cares about winning takes over and brings in qualified people."

Great find! This can be used as ammunition against all the haters out there in the media. Great hire, and things are looking up for the future of this organization.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to go on record as saying if/when he gets an offer to be GM of a team in the future (bills or otherwise), there is no value in being an Assistant GM as all they are is nothing but glorified errand boys.

I want to go on record saying that if all the members of this site were offered this same job, 99.999% of us would say "hell yes" - in a heartbeat. Then after we calmed down a bit, we might ask Buddy about duties, salary and the rest (so the wife knew we were responsible and thinking about the kids / future). Imagine putting your name next to this - Assistant GM of the Bills.

Hell yeah baby.

GO BILLS!

Interesting comments, that include Whaley's name (see last paragraph), by an unidentified source after Nix got his job ....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...raws-criticism/

Regardless of whether Brandon nudged the process toward Nix or Guy in order to preserve Brandon's turf, one league insider expressed strong opinions regarding the decision to go with Nix.

"The Buffalo hire is a joke and a slap in the face to all hard working people in the NFL," the source said. "The Bills have not been to the playoffs in over 10 years and that run will continue for years to come. The owner has made three hires in a row that shows he only cares about mediocrity.

"Four years ago he brings back Marv Levy, who was in his 80's. That didn't work. Two years ago he elevates his marketing director to G.M. and COO and again it doesn't work, and now he elevates a 70-year-old scout to a position that requires work and energy. . . .

"The eight years he spent in San Diego he had the titles Director of College Scouting, Director of Player Personnel, and Assistant G.M. yet he never lived in San Diego. He lived somewhere in Tennessee. . . . Someone who lives in another city is away from the day-to-day operations.

"Bills fans can rest assured that, a year from now, two years from now, and three and four years from now, the team will still be in last place in the AFC East. The Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins continue to make moves to get better while the Bills just tread water. There are good people who were very interested in that job, like Dave Gettelman, Scott Studwell and Doug Whaley that never got a chance. All those guys could have helped that team. The best hope for Bills fans is that the owner decides to sell the team and then someone who cares about winning takes over and brings in qualified people."

PFT is Florio right? ugh this guy bothers me a ton. Nice to see whoever this DB "insider" is really doesn't know squat. I have a feeling a LOT more people like Buddy in this league then we are lead to believe....

Nix said he wanted to get some "big nasties". Well the Steelers have been #1 in the league in big nasties since 1970. I presume this takes us one step closer to the 3-4 as well, seeing that both of their scouting backgrounds is in the scheme.

Nix said he wanted to get some "big nasties". Well the Steelers have been #1 in the league in big nasties since 1970. I presume this takes us one step closer to the 3-4 as well, seeing that both of their scouting backgrounds is in the scheme.

Good take!

I'm all in on this -at least another sucky year might be made more tolerable if we see dramatic additons toward the Steeler model.

At this point, all change is good! Who was our last Asst. GM?

PFT is Florio right? ugh this guy bothers me a ton. Nice to see whoever this DB "insider" is really doesn't know squat. I have a feeling a LOT more people like Buddy in this league then we are lead to believe....

Florio isn't a bad guy. He makes fun of every team at one point or another and it usually is funny. He doesn't take as many shots at the Bills as he probably could. A lot of time he's quoting someone else if its negative about the Bills. He actually lauded the Gailey hiring and I'd provide the link if I wasn't so lazy......

Florio isn't a bad guy. He makes fun of every team at one point or another and it usually is funny. He doesn't take as many shots at the Bills as he probably could. A lot of time he's quoting someone else if its negative about the Bills. He actually lauded the Gailey hiring and I'd provide the link if I wasn't so lazy......

I actually know for a fact that Mike likes the Bills more than he does most teams, he just wishes they were run better.

Don't we all?

Looks like a good hire. A question, however: this sorta looks like a lateral move (although I'm not certain about that), and why would you leave a great organization for a shaky one?

Maybe some unofficial comments were made to assure him the GM job would be his in 3-5 years?

Interesting. Bringing in a thirtysomething to work with Nix helps curb the "Sunshine Boys" jokes. Thumbs up for the WPIAL link, as well: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_479973.html

And one more very important (to me) note: longtime Pittsburgh PP-G Steelers guy Ed Bouchette has good things to say about him. Bouchette's been covering that team since the Steel Curtain days. Man knows his stuff.

This is an important move Nix need someone to hand the job to 3-5 years from now.

Um, that wouldn't come from Ralph judging from his long history. And in 3-5 years, there's a strong likelihood that there will be a new owner.

Question is where. Every Bills fan has doubts about the future of this team, despite what is said by Kelly, et al. Whaley seems to be a good hire, learned from one of the best in the business in Kevin Colbert. Pittsburgh was never big on signing UFA's, but built well through the draft.

I really don't think UFA/RFA will bring many players in 2010. Still, they needed a pro personnel guy younger than 60.

Looks like a good hire. A question, however: this sorta looks like a lateral move (although I'm not certain about that), and why would you leave a great organization for a shaky one?

Whaley will be more hands-on than a typical assistant GM since Nix will not be able to function as normal GM from his home in Tennessee.