Who is the GREATEST Bill of All-Time ??

papazoid

I'm not denying that Thurman was a great player. But remember: there's the ol' eyeball test. He simply -- and very clearly -- wasn't as good as Smith or Sanders. I don't think anyone outside of Bills' fans would argue that he was better than either of those guys. Still, he was a great player.

I just proved he was a better receiver and if you watched Bills games with him you'd know he was a great blocker. I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks. When rating RB's ground yards are really what most people pay attention to. It's a lot smarter to look at everything a RB does. So, as I said, they have better ground numbers while Thurman excelled at everything else.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Kelly. He's the greatest Bill --- he was my favorite player, so I'm biased. But, in a QB driven league --- he is the one component we have NEVER come CLOSE to replacing. You could argue we've had good RBs, WRs, DEs, etc... (sure, none like Thurman, Andre, or Bruce, but still we've had serviceable players).

QB, however, we've been lost since #12 left on the golf cart against Jacksonville. Without a strong QB, you are done. OL is definitely needed, and I used to use that as TEs and Bledsoe's excuse --- until I repeatedly watched other QBs get it done, and in the process make their OLs look strong.

EDIT: i'm talking players only.....on-field.

i'm going to say Thurman Thomas......

League MVP.....and best all around all purpose RB to ever play the game !!

#1- Thurman

#2- Bruce

#3- O.J.

#4- Cookie

#5- Kelly

**EDIT (stolen from the "wildrabbit"):

What most fail to realize is... the Bills used the running game to set up the pass. The Bills used to run more then they threw the ball in the Kelly era. While the Bills O line was better then most, it wasn't even close to what Emmitt Smith had in Dallas.

If you go back and look at what Thurman Thomas did, 5x pro bowls-1991 NFL MVP-1992 NFL offensive player of the year.

Thurman Thomas is the only NFL player to lead the league in total yards from scrimmage for four consecutive seasons.

Now considering he almost never caught the ball while in college it is amazing that he is one of six NFL backs to have over 400 receptions and 10,000 yards rushing. He is also one of five backs to have rushed for over 1,000 yards for 8 consecutive seasons. I know I'm leaving out a bunch of playoffs stats and other stuff. Just think, this kid kept Barry Sanders on the bench in College.

The guy was like 70% of the offense in Buffalo, he gets my vote.

1. O. J. Simpson-gained 2003 yards when everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball.

2. Jim Kelly-Combined talent, leadership and toughness that has rarely been seen in this league.

3. Bruce Smith-Top 3 all time at his position.

4. Thurman Thomas-One of the top all around backs ever

5. Kent Hull-quarterbacked the O-Line during Super Bowl run.

6. Steve Tasker-best Special Teams player in NFL history

7. Andre Reed-Top 10 receiver all time-clutch player and tough over the middle

8. Darryl Talley-Heart and soul of the defense during Super Bowl years-most underrated Bill ever!

9. Phil Hanson-second most underrated player ever-Bruce got attention and benefitted from Hansen being on other end

10. Fred Smerlas-best Nose Tackle of the 80's.

I am sure there were some great players in the 1960's but I am not old enough to remember them, only based on video and what I have read.

O.J. Simpson had the greatest season of any nfl player ever in 1973,,, rushing for over 2000 yards in a 14 game season on a mediocre team.

without Jack Kemp, we on this message board would not be taking comfort in the fact that the Bills actually do have some championship titles.

O.J. Simpson had the greatest season of any nfl player ever in 1973,,, rushing for over 2000 yards in a 14 game season on a mediocre team.

without Jack Kemp, we on this message board would not be taking comfort in the fact that the Bills actually do have some championship titles.

Agreed on Kemp. I was thinking about mentioning him when I mentioned Mike Stratton.

1. O. J. Simpson-gained 2003 yards when everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball.

2. Jim Kelly-Combined talent, leadership and toughness that has rarely been seen in this league.

3. Bruce Smith-Top 3 all time at his position.

4. Thurman Thomas-One of the top all around backs ever

5. Kent Hull-quarterbacked the O-Line during Super Bowl run.

6. Steve Tasker-best Special Teams player in NFL history

7. Andre Reed-Top 10 receiver all time-clutch player and tough over the middle

8. Darryl Talley-Heart and soul of the defense during Super Bowl years-most underrated Bill ever!

9. Phil Hanson-second most underrated player ever-Bruce got attention and benefitted from Hansen being on other end

10. Fred Smerlas-best Nose Tackle of the 80's.

I am sure there were some great players in the 1960's but I am not old enough to remember them, only based on video and what I have read.

I like your list, only Eric Moulds should be on this...... Bruce is number 1 bro...

OJ was the best Bill player ever. That's why it's so painfull that he became such a jerk later in life. Jim Kelly is my #2. Thurman Thomas #3, Bruce Smith #4, Andre Reed #5.

Something tells me that "jerk" simply isn't enough to describe what OJ became.

It's tough to decide. Gilchrist was the best all around player, absolutely no question, plus he won a championship. However, he was only with the Bills 3 seasons, so I'm not so sure. OJ was the best pure runner, Kelly the best QB and Smith was the best overall defensive player but none of them produced a title. Thomas might also merit consideration, but again, no championship.

I'm going to go ahead and say Jim Kelly. He never played for another NFL team and was the face of the franchise from the day he arrived, for 11 season. He led the team to it's most prolonged period of success and although never won the big one, he did help the team get there 4 times and played pretty well in two of the four games (and left a third due to injury with his team in the lead).

Bob Knight. Nice. Jim Kelly does evoke the best of the Bills past. (well in my opinion, but that is up for debate still in my mind. Thurman, Andre, Tasker, Bruce...ect... Hull, Ritcher, Wolford, Beebe, Ballard, Bennet, Talley, ect...i could go on and on... I have to admit i'm quite a bit buzzed. I'm sure some people on here post buzzed too but i admit it. Your Bob Knight icon caught my attention tho cause i worked with his son (on his show) for quite a while. i'm still good friends with him. Please excuse me for my lack of puncuation and for proper spelling and such. a bit buzzed. anyhoo, In many ways i wish i had been a Bills fan longer than i have been (been a hard core Bills fan since 1988). I have read thru the posts from many of you long timers for quite some time. I haven't posted much. But i wish i had seen the games you had seen in their hayday previous to their 4 Superbowl appearances. I still think i am the ONLY hard core Bufallo Bills fan in San Luis Obispo, California. I've seen 3 others in this fine college town. But I think i'm the only one standing from what i've experienced. And I will continue to stand. This is such a buzzed post. Well take it for what it's worth. And if it's not worth your time then no need to reply. Hard Core Bills fans reside from all corners of this Earth.

Go Bills!!!!!

The Juice is No. 1: athletically dominant. Could only be stopped by injury or bad coaches. O.J. kept the Bills in the spotlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoK_KGz1rHU

Bruce and Thurman are not far behind. Dominant as well when they played.

I love OJ's run about 2 minutes into the vid against the Steelers...he ran past about 5 future hall-of-famers right there.

I just proved he was a better receiver and if you watched Bills games with him you'd know he was a great blocker. I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks. When rating RB's ground yards are really what most people pay attention to. It's a lot smarter to look at everything a RB does. So, as I said, they have better ground numbers while Thurman excelled at everything else.

You didn't prove anything. You just proved he was more involved in the passing game; not a better running back. Both Smith and Sanders were measurably better players than Thomas when it came to toting the rock. As for blocking, he did become a pretty good blocker later in his career, but in his prime years he was average (like most great backs in their prime). In any event, Thurman, as good as he was, was a pale shadow of the juice.

EDIT: I suppose it's arguable that he was the equal of Emmitt Smith for a couple/few seasons, but it's hard to sustain that argument when looking at their entire careers. As for Sanders, you'd have be a blind man to think that Thomas was as good as him. I mean, he's not even in the same league. Sanders is comparable with OJ, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers (before the injuries), and Red Grange; Thurman is comparable with Franco Harris, Lydell Mitchell. and Marshall Faulk.

EDIT: i'm talking players only.....on-field.

i'm going to say Thurman Thomas......

League MVP.....and best all around all purpose RB to ever play the game !!

#1- Thurman

#2- Bruce

#3- O.J.

#4- Cookie

#5- Kelly

**EDIT (stolen from the "wildrabbit"):

What most fail to realize is... the Bills used the running game to set up the pass. The Bills used to run more then they threw the ball in the Kelly era. While the Bills O line was better then most, it wasn't even close to what Emmitt Smith had in Dallas.

If you go back and look at what Thurman Thomas did, 5x pro bowls-1991 NFL MVP-1992 NFL offensive player of the year.

Thurman Thomas is the only NFL player to lead the league in total yards from scrimmage for four consecutive seasons.

Now considering he almost never caught the ball while in college it is amazing that he is one of six NFL backs to have over 400 receptions and 10,000 yards rushing. He is also one of five backs to have rushed for over 1,000 yards for 8 consecutive seasons. I know I'm leaving out a bunch of playoffs stats and other stuff. Just think, this kid kept Barry Sanders on the bench in College.

The guy was like 70% of the offense in Buffalo, he gets my vote.

OJ..

how old are you?