Gailey hires five for staff; retains two

bills_red

Anyone who says a OC isn't important right now since Gailey is calling the plays is dumb. Those kinds of comments show lack of knowledge about football. The OC does so much more than call plays. If you can't see that go watch tennis.

Gaily said he was going to do more than just call plays. He was going to build and develop the offense himself and get it to where he wants it to be, then maybe down the road he will give someone else more control. But right now, Gailey is HC and OC. So the OC in name only isn't that important

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget who, but somebody thought Gailey might hire an OLB and ILB coach for the team. It appears they are heading that way.

Linky

Report: Smith to coach OLBs

Chris Brown

Posted January 26th, 2010

Tags: Giff Smith

According to a report by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution the Bills are hiring a member of Chan Gailey’s former staff at Georgia Tech.

Defensive line coach Giff Smith is reportedly going to join Gailey’s staff as outside linebackers coach. Smith also served as Tech’s recruiting coordinator.

He has a long coaching career, which to this point has been at the college level for almost 20 years. Most of his background has been with the defensive line, but he also has coached defensive backs and receivers.

The hiring of Kansas City staff does not exactly instill confidence in me for this team going forward.

Good point.

Although, there is plenty of blame to spread around the Chiefs organization.

Just because these guys were a part of the Chiefs coaching staff, does not mean they can't achieve success elsewhere.

I would'nt put Gailey at fault for giving up on young guys like Brodie Croyle & Tyler Thigpen, and going with one-year wonder Matt Cassell.

Seriously, guys ... do you really think it's somehow going to be worse than last year's debacle? There's just no way. Change is good. And looking at last year's offensive staff .. ANY change is good.

in case anyone wants to see meaningless rankings and to pick-up on the speculation that Sanders could be considered for DC....Sanders was DC of the Pack from 2006-08...i included the year before and year after for further comparison....doesn't really tell us much, but just a tid-bit of info

Year Rk Team

2005 7 Green Bay Packers

2006 12 Green Bay Packers

2007 11 Green Bay Packers

2008 20 Green Bay Packers

2009 2 Green Bay Packers

in case anyone wants to see meaningless rankings and to pick-up on the speculation that Sanders could be considered for DC....Sanders was DC of the Pack from 2006-08...i included the year before and year after for further comparison....doesn't really tell us much, but just a tid-bit of info

Year Rk Team

2005 7 Green Bay Packers

2006 12 Green Bay Packers

2007 11 Green Bay Packers

2008 20 Green Bay Packers

2009 2 Green Bay Packers

Didn't he run a 4-3 for most of his tenure? Wasn't that the reason they went and got Raji was because they switched over to a 3-4 after he left?

So, basically we hired guys that have moved around a lot, haven't held major coaching positions at top notch Division 1 schools, and most of them only have worked in the NFL for the Chiefs, a dominant NFL team last year.

Sounds great! :thumbsup:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...12-e28749931a34

CURTIS MODKINS (offensive coordinator/running backs coach)

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/curtis_modkins/

JOE D'ALESSANDRIS (offensive line coach)

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:eN4jKA...=clnk&gl=us

BOB BICKNELL (tight ends coach)

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/bob_bicknell/

KEVIN PATULLO (offensive quality control)

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/kevin_patullo/

Giff Smith (defensive assistant)

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...ith_giff00.html

Didn't he run a 4-3 for most of his tenure? Wasn't that the reason they went and got Raji was because they switched over to a 3-4 after he left?

Yup, which gives me something else to ponder. Because of that switch, the Packers tried to make Aaron Kampman -- who went to two Pro Bowls during Sanders' tenure -- into an OLB, and he wasn't happy about it. Kampman's a FA; depending on his knee (rehabbing an ACL, but says he'll be ready for training camp) and Aaron Schobel's decision whether or not to retire, I wonder if the Bills would show interest.

Presuming they're still a 4-3 team, which is no certainty...

Not so fast. They have created jobs for Chuck in the past.

They may give him a job doing film work, something which he excels in, while not making him be a coach. Sometimes I think the teams become like the movie industry with too many credits.

Chief fans seemed VERY happy to rid themselves of Joe D’Alessandris.

That makes me reaaaaaaaaalllyyy nervous.

And Giants fans could say the same about us and Fewell or Steelers fans about us and Kugler and on and on... Nobody is ever happy when their team isn't winning. They are mad D'Alessandris after their RB ran for 1500 yards? Hmmmmm... It doesn't make me nervous at all. Let's be real. 98 percent of this board don't know one coach from the other and never heard of any of the coaches on any team except for a very precious few. All that 98 percent knows is what is told to them from message boards (other people who don't know) or the media. If a report comes out through a recognizable reporter that this is a great staff everybody would do backflips and change their tune. If these same reporters say it's terrible everyone will complain even more. The true test is the games and how the team performs. As well as the FA period and the draft. Those are the biggest two things. Coaching is important, but players are more important.

This staff is total garbage so far.

I wouldn't be so negative. We basically don't know what these guys will do. The funny thing is we often think our assistant coaches are not as good as the coaches on the premier teams that pay well. Yet when Jauron gets fired and all of his assistants are free to go several are hired immediately (Fewell, Kugler, Studesville) by quality teams like the Giants, Denver, and Pittsburgh.

Some positives with these new hires is that people who have coached with Gailey before want to coach with him again and also since these guys have been around each other a lot they will have developed a consistent philosophy on how a team should be run, etc. When Gailey was hired, as late as the hire took place, some complained that Gailey would have to scramble to pull together any staff but that is clearly not the case. He is bringing in all the people that have worked with him before that he respects. DC is the lone big question mark and concern at this point.

This staff is total garbage so far.

Totally agree. Painting the silver lining on brown. It's the Bills' greatest gift.

Can't wait to see who they draft, and how they spin the picks to give us great hope.

I am so sarcastic! Or am I??

I wouldn't be so negative. We basically don't know what these guys will do. The funny thing is we often think our assistant coaches are not as good as the coaches on the premier teams that pay well. Yet when Jauron gets fired and all of his assistants are free to go several are hired immediately (Fewell, Kugler, Studesville) by quality teams like the Giants, Denver, and Pittsburgh.

Some positives with these new hires is that people who have coached with Gailey before want to coach with him again and also since these guys have been around each other a lot they will have developed a consistent philosophy on how a team should be run, etc. When Gailey was hired, as late as the hire took place, some complained that Gailey would have to scramble to pull together any staff but that is clearly not the case. He is bringing in all the people that have worked with him before that he respects. DC is the lone big question mark and concern at this point.

+1

Good post. Gotta have hope, right?