Gailey adds Giff Smith to Bills staff

What I find curious is that when most HC's are hired they have a good idea of who their coordinators will be.

Some potential HC's will make calls before getting interviews to line up a potential staff. I am not sure how this reflects on Chan's level of preparedness. I would like to see people with pro experience on his staff. Not sure what Giff's experience is.

Most coaches hire from top down when all positions are available.

Are we putting the cart before the horse?

Very odd to make this move without a defensive coordinator.

Absolutely, although the report states that it was a leak not an announcement. It only got out because they told the staff and players about the move this a.m.

These guys are as savvy as they come when it pertains to football moves. That's a good sign. No worries fellas these old guys know what's up and they are putting it together.

If I had to put money on it I would agree that the DC is in place and the 3-4 move is for real. Look at it this way, they have a phantom OC in Modkins that they haven't confirmed or denied so it is just as possible that the DC is in place as well until the staffs are complete.

If I had to put money on it I would agree that the DC is in place and the 3-4 move is for real. Look at it this way, they have a phantom OC in Modkins that they haven't confirmed or denied so it is just as possible that the DC is in place as well until the staffs are complete.

Do you mean we get the pleasure of another "Hoe-Down Press Conference"????.....yee-haw! Setup the podium and pass the moonshine to Sully!!! :beer:

Lot's of questions here...just two....

1) Would Gailey hire an OLB's coach if he wasn't planning on the 3-4?

2) Would Gailey hire an OLB's coach before he secured a DC?

1. i think you are right - looks real strong that we are going to a 3-4

2. i think our dc is still coaching - i could be wrong - no inside info - just a gut call

This is another indication that we will be looking hard at Derrick Morgan GT's OLB in Round 1. We have Morgan ranked #9.

"During Smith’s tenure as recruiting coordinator, the Jackets have signed several nationally ranked players, including Jonathan Dwyer, Derrick Morgan, Demaryius Thomas and Morgan Burnett, whom are all expected to go in the first four rounds of the NFL Draft in April." Source

Morgan moved around to RDE a lot in the Orange Bowl game. He consistently flushed QB vs Bulaga (who held him several times and wasn't called); and he even blew up plays when the Iowa offense seemed to plan plays to avoid him.

Especially since the OLBs are affected more than anything by the 3-4/4-3 switch

Interesting.

I would think that we would now be moving to a 3-4, as a true 4-3 does not really consider its linebackers "inside" or "outside"; rather "middle", "weak", and "strong" side.

'Tis a bit strange to be hiring LB coaches prior to a defensive coordinator, though....

Lot's of questions here...just two....

1) Would Gailey hire an OLB's coach if he wasn't planning on the 3-4?

2) Would Gailey hire an OLB's coach before he secured a DC?

Could be wrong, but I'm thinking there might not be any official word out of One Bills Drive until the entire staff is in place. Jaguars are doing the same thing. Also, while NYC media is reporting that former Jets assistant Chuck Smith is joining the Vols' staff, nobody in Knoxville is willing to confirm that. Some do, some don't ...

GT went to five straight bowl games! Thrilling how we are taking their staff basically intact and now they get to become an NFL staff.

Thanks Budy. This year, let's aim for then Outback bowl!

Great point. I wonder if we would win a bowl game?

Could be wrong, but I'm thinking there might not be any official word out of One Bills Drive until the entire staff is in place. Jaguars are doing the same thing. Also, while NYC media is reporting that former Jets assistant Chuck Smith is joining the Vols' staff, nobody in Knoxville is willing to confirm that. Some do, some don't ...

I agree with Lori. This FO has proven that they care more about who they want more than who others want. Non of us had Chan on our radar. Non of us know who the DC is but I am sure that they have him in place and are waiting to announce all of the assistant coaches at once.

This is another indication that we will be looking hard at Derrick Morgan GT's OLB in Round 1. We have Morgan ranked #9.

"During Smith’s tenure as recruiting coordinator, the Jackets have signed several nationally ranked players, including Jonathan Dwyer, Derrick Morgan, Demaryius Thomas and Morgan Burnett, whom are all expected to go in the first four rounds of the NFL Draft in April." Source

Morgan moved around to RDE a lot in the Orange Bowl game. He consistently flushed QB vs Bulaga (who held him several times and wasn't called); and he even blew up plays when the Iowa offense seemed to plan plays to avoid him.

"Al Groh just arrived as defensive coordinator, and recruiting for the 3-4 is a bit different."

So he perhaps doesn't want to recruit 3-4 players but we're to assume his hiring means the Bills are switching to the 3-4?

I am pretty confused as to what is going on. Why hire a LB Coach before a DC, or is the DC already in place? Some speculate that our DC is on a Super Bowl team. If we hire the experienced DC, its not Gregg Williams, or we are going with the Tampa 2 and Larry Coyer. Otherwise we are hiring a positional coach from one fo the two teams if this is in fact true

I am pretty confused as to what is going on. Why hire a LB Coach before a DC, or is the DC already in place? Some speculate that our DC is on a Super Bowl team. If we hire the experienced DC, its not Gregg Williams, or we are going with the Tampa 2 and Larry Coyer. Otherwise we are hiring a positional coach from one fo the two teams if this is in fact true

I'm guessing Alan Williams from the colts. I believe he is a T2 style coach but has a real good rep.