Revis, Mangold and Harris

Dawgg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not defending Marv, but did any of us know how good revis would be? I don't even think the Jets knew he'd be this good. Sometimes you stumble onto greatness.

Fewell inadvertently said he was the top rated CB on their draft board before the last Jets game.

Marv was awful and set back the franchise another three years. What is amazing is his FA signings were worse than the drafts he oversaw. Or if you believe Marv's defenders he was just sleeping in the corner while Modrak made all the picks.

About the same as his proof that David Harris would be good in Fewell's defense. Harris' name was the largest bandied about last offseason as trade bait until Ryan came in and changed them to the aggressive 34 defense they now play. Good coaches put good players in the best position to succeed. Harris great next to Bart Scott in the Jets defense. He'd be an extreme liability in Buffalo, especially on passing downs where the Tampa-2 MLB is responsible for the middle third.

I'd be all about getting Revis, Mangold, and Harris in the draft as long as we get a coach who will put them in a position to utilize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

Gotta agree with Alaska here......Harris looks very good in Ryan's defense but he isn't asked to cover the way a ILB is in ours.......Poz isn't doing a great job in coverage either but I think Harris would be flat out awful.

Harris lets him do what he is good at.....knock the stuffing out of people and play run

ummm if there is any position the bills actually know how to draft, its DB, so yea you might as well leave revis out of the equation because we have starters across the league that were drafted by us. Everyone thinks revis is amazing, yes he can cover, he works especially well against tall WR because of his speed. He is a talent, but I think buffalo has had a plethora of serviceable, and athletic corners come to town. Besides, we could have drafted the next bruce smith, it's not like our coaching staff would have known how to use him anyways

In a mock draft game I picked Revis for the Bills. But that year we took Lynch not D.Whit.

Revis is a wonderful player, but he would not look as good on the Bills because of our weak, small front 7. Whitner isn't anywhere near as big or talented as Revis, but he would look better on the Jets because they have a strong front 7.

My point is that the Levy/Jauron era was marked by incompetence and stupidity. The operated in a way in which winning was not possible.

I have been on this board complaining about the weak OL since 1998 or so. Make no mistake, it still sucks, but if Rolando McClain is there they need to take him. He looks like a superstar. But first, they should offer Jermy Trueblood 45 or 50 million dollars to play RT and see if he bites.

This board has collectively made better decisions than the front office in the last 4 years.

The scary thing is the above sentence is actually true! No one here wanted Whitner at #8 (at least not before the draft). Just about any of the other ideas proposed for the 8th overall pick (Ngata, Cutler, trade down, etc.) would have worked out a lot better. The only exception is Bunkley, which would have been pretty similar to Whitner.

Then there was the McCargo pick--when Nick Mangold went a pick or two later. Bill from NYC really wanted the Bills to take Mangold. Now McCargo is a backup, and Mangold is the best center in the league.

Then there was Marshawn Lynch at #12. Before that draft I hardly heard any Bills fans suggesting him! Now he's a backup!

woulda, coulda, shoulda:

2009- Maybin (#10) or Brian Cushing (#15) (def R.O.Y)

2008- McKelvin(#11) or Ryan Clady(#12) ( #1 Left Tackle in NFL)

2007- Lynch (#12) or Darrelle Revis (#14) (#1 corner in NFL)

2006- Witner (#8) or Haloti Ngata (#12) ( #4 NT in NFL))

2006- McCargo (#26) or Nick Mangold (#29) (#1 Center in NFL)

2005- traded away to DAL (#20) for J.P. Losman or Aaron Rodgers (#24) (PRO Bowl QB)

2004- Lee Evans (#13) or Vince Wilfork (#21) ( #3 NT in NFL)

2004- #43 traded to Dal or Bob Sanders (#44) (All Pro Safety)

2003- #14 traded to NE for Bledsoe or Troy Polamulu (#16)

2003- McGahee (#23) or Dallas Clark (#24) or Nnamdi Asomugha(#31)

2002- Mike Williams (#4) or Dwight Feeney(#11) or Albert Haynesworth (#15) or Ed Reed (#24)

thats enough pain......

I'm not defending Marv, but did any of us know how good revis would be? I don't even think the Jets knew he'd be this good. Sometimes you stumble onto greatness.

In fairness to Marv they would have taken Revis if Lynch was off the board. In fact I think their board was Lynch, Revis, Poz, and Harris.

Revis was a beast at Pitt. Did not expect him to be this good, but it was not hard to see him becoming an all pro someday.

woulda, coulda, shoulda:

2005- traded away to DAL (#20) for J.P. Losman or Aaron Rodgers (#24) (PRO Bowl QB)

2002- Mike Williams (#4) or Dwight Feeney(#11) or Albert Haynesworth (#15) or Ed Reed (#24)

thats enough pain......

2002 is particularly painful.

mangold and revis are slam dunks, but i'm not so sure about harris over poz. i was really really down on poz as recently as the tenn game when he missed a tackle at the goal line, but honestly he was a fugging beast for the reast of the season. the pics are money and he really has come in and smacked guys more. if we go 34 and get wilfork he might be pretty salty in the middle, a teddy bruschi with more speed and talent.

woulda, coulda, shoulda:

thats enough pain......

These comparisons don't make a lot of sense except when you are looking at the same position drafted after us. Otherwise you can make a list like this for every single team in the league.

They traded up to get him. Sounds like they expected him to be exactly what he's become.

In fairness to Marv they would have taken Revis if Lynch was off the board. In fact I think their board was Lynch, Revis, Poz, and Harris.

It is almost always silly to pick a RB in the first half of the first round. Really good backs are one of the truly "dime a dozen" positions and can be found later in the draft or in free agency. For example, Fred Jackson. Also, RBs have about the shortest career span of any position. If you're drafting in the first half of the first round, you are going to pay a premium for your player. Best to use that slot for one of the critical positions, and one that has a long career span as well.

The fact that the Jets traded up to get Revis indicates to me that they had pretty high grades and high hopes on the kid. Let us stop kidding ourselves. Each GM has his own thoughts about how the draft should go....Marv and DIck wanted that big Safety for their cover-2 scheme and they went with Whtiner. The problem was that McCargo did not pan out and weakned the front seven giving no scope for Whitner to blossom.

Mark Sanchez behind this horrible line would be heralded as a soft JP Losman.....The fact that Sanchez played behind the best OL in football gave him all the confidence to make those harder throws. Plus having the best running game in football and an OC who gets it helps...

Let us stop accusing Marv for those drafts.....Time to move forward...Let us hope McKelvin, Woods, Levitre, Maybin are the true backbone of the future.

It may require 20/20 hindsight for YOU, but most people knew, after the Bills' 2006 draft (featuring Whitner and McCargo) that the Bills' front office was a joke.

Too bad the Bills and most of the scouting staffs in the league aren't as football savvy as you. I guess the Bills' fate was sealed when you became a toll booth operator or whatever.

BTW, I don't suppose there isn't a few dozen of your "can't miss" draft picks that weren't? Just maybe? Or does your powers of hindsight have selective amnesia?

Too bad the Bills and most of the scouting staffs in the league aren't as football savvy as you. I guess the Bills' fate was sealed when you became a toll booth operator or whatever.

Most scouting staffs in the league would not have made the selections the Bills had made, particularly in 2006 when they took Whitner and McCargo over the likes of Ngata and Mangold. If you're a season ticket holder and spend your hourly wages on whatever the Bills put out at the Team Store, I apologize for bursting your bubble. :lol: