Best Rock Guitarists Ever

truth on hold

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High profile names I left off the list:

Clapton (see original post)

Beck interesting style, has command over instrument, just not sure how many players he influenced; many were turned off with his jazz rock experiments

Angus Young some kick butt solos, but actually quite basic. too simple of a style to say he influenced anyone

Never underestimate the influence of "basic" or "simple" in music.

The world's most recognizable musical piece is not considered hard to play. In fact, it starts off with 3 simple notes.

The musical number? Beethoven's 5th Symphony, first movement.

As for who Angus Young influenced (FWIW):

"His work with AC/DC has been an influence on bands ranging from Guns N' Roses, Slayer, The Cult, Jackyl, Metallica, and Def Leppard to newer artists like Disturbed, Jet, Alter Bridge, Buckcherry, Airbourne, The Darkness, Rob Tognoni, Wolfmother, and You Am I."

Linky

Keith Richards close call here but his emphasis on rhythm tips the scale against him; although he did have some memorable solos too

Blackmore some good work but really lacks the flair of any of the top names

Iommi another close call. his work is under appreciated for some reason, and therefore didn't influence as many as it maybe it should have; best work "heaven and hell", but still lacks his one marquee solo (i.e. like Page has Whole Lotta Love)

Mahlsteen best right hand in rock, but shredding is way too formulaic and lacks feel

Steve Vai I'd love to put him on there for his smooth style, but doesn't have a large enough body of work with David Lee Roth; solo progressive rock jazz stuff largely forgettable; seems contrived on stage too

A Buffalo crowd that doesn't bring up Alex Lifeson? Pretty tough being overshadowed all the time by the drummer and bass player in your band.

no, i think this buffalo crowd knows its guitar players. lifeson's not on any list, in my humble opinion, because he IS the third best musician in the group, and likely fourth if the band was not a trio. c'mon. if you're going to go canada, at least hit Kim Mitchell. sheesh. ... sorry, i'm sounding a little crass, but lifeson?

Strummer.

Mr. John Cash.

Frusciante.

Rik Nielson ...

all deserve mention off the top of my head but ...

it's Keith Richards hands down 1st. Jimmy Page, B.B. King (who could make that guitar sing), Hendrix and Pete Townsend. Eddie VH ranks 6th.

jw

BTW, I saw Tommy Bolin in concert and he was sensationally bad. But then again, he died a short time later, so it may not have been his finest hour.

I hear toward the end of his career with Deep Purple, we was soooo stoned on heroine he could barely play. His live solos were often just a repetitive one or two notes. Everyone kept waiting for him to bust out like his earlier work with Cobham, but it never happened.

I hear toward the end of his career with Deep Purple, we was soooo stoned on heroine he could barely play. His live solos were often just a repetitive one or two notes. Everyone kept waiting for him to bust out like his earlier work with Cobham, but it never happened.

Now that you point it out his solo'ing is pretty lame here:

The whole band really seems out of it ... probably a massive needle-share before they went on. NO THANKS.

Although the chaos on stage is pretty cool for a rock concert :P

no, i think this buffalo crowd knows its guitar players. lifeson's not on any list, in my humble opinion, because he IS the third best musician in the group, and likely fourth if the band was not a trio. c'mon. if you're going to go canada, at least hit Kim Mitchell. sheesh. ... sorry, i'm sounding a little crass, but lifeson?

Strummer.

Mr. John Cash.

Frusciante.

Rik Nielson ...

it's Keith Richards hands down 1st. Jimmy Page, B.B. King (who could make that guitar sing), Hendrix and Pete Townsend. Eddie VH ranks 6th.

jw

I have to call you out if you think Lifeson isn't deserving of many accolades, especially in light of those you named (Johnny Cash? Seriously? If you are going to bring him up how could you not mention Luther Perkins who handled most of the heavy guitar work?).

His phrasing and chord selection is quite unique when compared to most other players. And while his solo's don't tend to be the shredding type, they have their own distinct qualities and add to the songs rather than being some excuse to noodle over some old and tired chord progression.

Strummer.

Mr. John Cash.

Frusciante.

Rik Nielson ...

jw

I wasn't touting Lifeson as tops, I just expected as popular as Rush is, someone would mention him. I love his playing, but like I said, being #3 in a trio doesn't get him much credit. As far as you ripping on him, I really don't know where that's coming from, but whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.

Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Van Halen

Some of those mentioned here would be at the top of my list. Giants like Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Page.

My personal faves include Duane Allman and Derek Trucks.

Completely underrated and somewhat under the radar for being in such a huge band is Mike McCready from Pearl Jam.

And give me the Chicago blues of Magic Slim and the Teardrops any day. I saw him at the Kingston Mines in Chicago in November. I left the club at 3:30AM and Slim and the boys had been cookin for 2 hours and were just gettin warmed up.

Some of those mentioned here would be at the top of my list. Giants like Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Page.

My personal faves include Duane Allman and Derek Trucks.

Completely underrated and somewhat under the radar for being in such a huge band is Mike McCready from Pearl Jam.

And give me the Chicago blues of Magic Slim and the Teardrops any day. I saw him at the Kingston Mines in Chicago in November. I left the club at 3:30AM and Slim and the boys had been cookin for 2 hours and were just gettin warmed up.

Nice call on McCready! He is one of my favorites. And Kingston Mines is one of the greatest places I have ever been! I walked in 20 years ago, Leslie was playing The Thrill is Gone- and I had a blues epiphany. I realized how much I loved the blues- and damn near religious experience. I love that second stage too and the fact that it is continuous music all night. I have a Charlie Love CD too

Most influential have to be Page and Van Halen. Page really established the style for metal guitar and for years everyone learning to play metal used him as the model. Then when Van Halen came out everyone used him as the new model with the tapping. And on a broader scale Hendrix for elevating the role of the electric guitar from accompanient to centerpiece.

Some honorable mentions:

Gilmour (great thematic soloing, without him Waters' compositions would have been folk songs)

Greg Lake (eclectic and technically proficient, ashame he never gets his due ... Karn Evil 9, for example)

Brian May (great theatrical soloing, and amazing sound from his home made guitar)

Slash (gets credit for bucking the trend of trying to impress with tapping and shredding; generated memorable solos with a pre-Van Halen style)

One guy I never get is Clapton. I just don't see why he's on so many short lists. Fairly conventional blues-rock style.

how about dime bag darrell of pantera, robby krieger of the doors, Elliot Easton

of the cars? seems silly to put greg lake in your top list and not even mention these guys.