Best Rock Guitarists Ever

truth on hold

Allman Brothers

Grateful Dead

moe.

Blind Faith

Return to Forever

You know...bands with guitarist in them.

Hmmmmmmm. I like your style. We both enjoy good food, I just need a little time to convert you to some dishes that are just a bit outside of your "comfort zone". Come to daddy big boy!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmm. I like your style. We both enjoy good food, I just need a little time to convert you to some dishes that are just a bit outside of your "comfort zone". Come to daddy big boy!

Just because I live in San Francisco doesn't mean I'll come around to your type of music.

Just because I live in San Francisco doesn't mean I'll come around to your type of music.

Well in all fairness, if you do not like The Edge (of U2) then you probably would never dig Will Sergeant either, but hey, I tried! :thumbdown:

Well in all fairness, if you do not like The Edge (of U2) then you probably would never dig Will Sergeant either, but hey, I tried! :thumbdown:

Ok I just listened to

Seven minutes and I did not here any outstanding guitar work. Oh and U2 can lick my balls too. :lol:

Ok I just listened to
Seven minutes and I did not here any outstanding guitar work. Oh and U2 can lick my balls too. :thumbdown:

Hey, I get what kind of guy you are, and I am totally cool with it. You have a passion for honest, earthy, warm, bluesy music. I think that is great! I feel blessed that there are so many wonderful flavors out there for me to munch on. Cheers!

Anyway, like Astro sort of touched upon, guys like Edge and Will use a lots of guitar effects, which in a way adds another element to their technique. Make no mistake though, Will is firmly rooted in his appreciation for the greats and while he may or may not match their chops/prowess (no worse than Jimmy Page though) he is a genuine musician even after the "toys" are stripped away from him...

Hey, I get what kind of guy you are, and I am totally cool with it. You have a passion for honest, earthy, warm, bluesy music. I think that is great! I feel blessed that there are so many wonderful flavors out there for me to munch on. Cheers!

Anyway, like Astro sort of touched upon, guys like Edge and Will use a lots of guitar effects, which in a way adds another element to their technique. Make no mistake though, Will is firmly rooted in his appreciation for the greats and while he may or may not match their chops/prowess (no worse than Jimmy Page though) he is a genuine musician even after the "toys" are stripped away from him...

No I have a passion for music. I go see the SF Symphony next week and moe. the week after. Both live of course. :thumbdown: And that's what I'm digging about SF is the amount of live music in smaller venues I have access to. I've been to more concerts here in one year than I did in all the seven I lived in Orange county.

No I have a passion for music. I go see the SF Symphony next week and moe. the week after. Both live of course. :thumbdown: And that's what I'm digging about SF is the amount of live music in smaller venues I have access to. I've been to more concerts here in one year than I did in all the seven I lived in Orange county.

Trust me, there are no wrong answers here, I like what you like in addition to what I like. I wish that I could make you feel the rush that I get from some of Will Sergeant's "paintbrush" strokes but I understand where you are coming from. You like music that is straight forward with none of the bull **** attached. Cool, I get that...like I said, in my mind there are few wrong answers here. I love musicians that are pasionate about their craft and trust me, Will Sergeant takes his craft VERY seriously...

wish i woulda lived in SF in the 50s/60s for that burgeoning jazz scene....musta been amazing going to the Blackhawk etc

Trust me, there are no wrong answers here, I like what you like in addition to what I like. I wish that I could make you feel the rush that I get from some of Will Sergeant's "paintbrush" strokes but I understand where you are coming from. You like music that is straight forward with none of the bull **** attached. Cool, I get that...like I said, in my mind there are few wrong answers here. I love musicians that are pasionate about their craft and trust me, Will Sergeant takes his craft VERY seriously...

You want to go listen to records in Jim's room?

You kids keep the door open OK?

If someone gets only one of their albums, would your recommend Crocodiles or Songs to Learn and Sing?

I would start with Crocodiles. It was their first album, more guitar driven, and very intense. It's almost like a post-punk Doors...only not as goofily pretentious. Plus the new reissue of the album has like 10 bonus tracks. Good value for the money.

It is a seriously killer record though.

I would start with Crocodiles. It was their first album, more guitar driven, and very intense. It's almost like a post-punk Doors...only not as goofily pretentious. Plus the new reissue of the album has like 10 bonus tracks. Good value for the money.

It is a seriously killer record though.

Some of these guys on here claim to fans of classic rock, yet bash XTC and Echo, who are for all intents and purposes, the Doors and the Beatles respectively.

Some of these guys on here claim to fans of classic rock, yet bash XTC and Echo, who are for all intents and purposes, the Doors and the Beatles respectively.

It's hard to turn people on to bands like XTC since they are more of an album band. Their singles did not really stand out, but they made good records. Partridge thought of the album as the work; the songs are a small piece of the whole. Not unlike Radiohead, Can, Grateful Dead and so on.

You might have better luck talking up the Dukes of the Stratosphere--more accessible