Best Rock Guitarists Ever

truth on hold

Most influential have to be Page and Van Halen. Page really established the style for metal guitar and for years everyone learning to play metal used him as the model. Then when Van Halen came out everyone used him as the new model with the tapping. And on a broader scale Hendrix for elevating the role of the electric guitar from accompanient to centerpiece.

Some honorable mentions:

Gilmour (great thematic soloing, without him Waters' compositions would have been folk songs)

Greg Lake (eclectic and technically proficient, ashame he never gets his due ... Karn Evil 9, for example)

Brian May (great theatrical soloing, and amazing sound from his home made guitar)

Slash (gets credit for bucking the trend of trying to impress with tapping and shredding; generated memorable solos with a pre-Van Halen style)

One guy I never get is Clapton. I just don't see why he's on so many short lists. Fairly conventional blues-rock style.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really into rock and roll, but with my limited knowledge, I have to say Lindsey Buckingham is excellent.

Excellent video & audio of Trouble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afJIryQpib0...feature=related

Another quality link of Stevie Nicks & Lindsey--Never going back again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVTG3gxdF_E...feature=related

It;s hard to debate with the guitar Gods, each brought or brings something different, who's best to me is usually based on what I'm listening too. EVH, Page, Hendrix brought so much to music. For me though as much as I love them and their music, it's Gilmour for me. He knows exactly when to play and when not to play; his touch and tone make up for his lack of shred ability...

Clapton is a great player...how people cannot see that is beyond me...