Aaron Maybin

cmjoyce113

Why do so many people think that Maybin will succeed as an OLB? This year we were decimated by injury yet Maybin continued to get 2 to 3 reps a game at DE. Don't you think if the coaching staff thought he would be a successful OLB they would have given him a shot there this past year?

I can't help but feel like Maybin would be a stud as a blitzing OLB, but the minute he needs to drop into coverage I see him getting killed. Can you see him making the play in coverage that was needed when Brady threw either of the two touchdown passes to Ben Watson in that Monday night game?

There is absolutely no chance that that happens in my opinion. I just don't see him being a capable OLB in all parts needed.

Why do so many people think that Maybin will succeed as an OLB? This year we were decimated by injury yet Maybin continued to get 2 to 3 reps a game at DE. Don't you think if the coaching staff thought he would be a successful OLB they would have given him a shot there this past year?

I can't help but feel like Maybin would be a stud as a blitzing OLB, but the minute he needs to drop into coverage I see him getting killed. Can you see him making the play in coverage that was needed when Brady threw either of the two touchdown passes to Ben Watson in that Monday night game?

There is absolutely no chance that that happens in my opinion. I just don't see him being a capable OLB in all parts needed.

Neither was Bryce Paup, and he was still the defensive player of the year with Buffalo..

I think Orakpo's success at switching back and forth helped fuel the calls for Maybin to do the same. If the coaches thought that Maybin had a shot at LB, they would have tried it out. Leave it to the Bills to draft a project one trick pony with the #11 overall pick. :rolleyes:

Why do so many people think that Maybin will succeed as an OLB?

Not too many do think he'll succeed. But, he definitely aint gonna cut it as a DE in this league. OLB in a 3-4 is his only option. If he flops again this coming season, he's gone. Picking Maybin was even more stupid than picking Mike Williams. At list Mike had a handful of vey good games.

IMO, he's either a 43 end or 34 olb. Since we ran 43, he lined up at end. Like many other posters, the more i think about the more i see us running the 34 D!

Neither was Bryce Paup, and he was still the defensive player of the year with Buffalo..

Well that proves it then. Never mind that Maybin has never played the position before and hasn't played well in the NFL at the position where he has the most experience. Because some other guy a decade or so ago did it on an entirely different team (Bruce Smith was on the other side, remember him?) who was a proven player even before he made the switch, establishes without doubt that Maybin would be a pro bowl at OLB.

Sure, its possible the guy might do well at that position but it would be more than foolish to assume he would and then base your personnel strategy, in part, on that assumption. Kind of like thinking that Langston Walker would be a fine LT.

I think alot rush olb's in the 34 played DE in college and have alot of the same skill sets that Maybin APPEARS to have. IMO if we stay with 43, Maybin better get stronger and learn a couple of counter moves. If we go 34, he might be our rush olb.

The problem is that for him to have trade value, he has to play well. And if he plays well, why the eff would we trade him?

I think they call that a catch-22. Is there a way for the mods to capture this and repost it, the entire thread, when in a month or so someone decides we need to revisit.

If Maybin can't rush the passer as a DE, then why would he be good at rushing the passer as an OLB? He'll still be going against a tackle most of the time... and the times he ends up on a RB or TE will be offset by the times he's got to drop into coverage or pick someone up man for man. Playing OLB might help his run defense, but that's it.

I could envision the problems incurred prior to drafting Aaron Maybin! I personally wanted Bryan Orakapo! To me it was a clear cut and easy decison to draft Orakapo DE over Maybin! I believe that football is a big man's game generally speaking unless your talking safties, cornerbacks, kickers etc...but for your O & D lines, LB's you typically want a tall, wide body,

somebody that inflicts pain! Not somebody that is undersized like Maybin and who may grow into his frame in a few years! The average shelf life of a NFL player is 4-5 years...we already wasted 1 year on Maybin...Modrak & Guy sure missed on that one! Sure, Maybe Maybin is fast...but he will get knocked on his can in the NFL....If he bulks up and adds more mass to his frame it will probably slow him down...they should've passed on him...I am afraid of what these guys will do with this draft! Yeah, I can see them going CB again....They have many other needs...but that's this organization for you! :rolleyes:

The responsibilities of a blitzing OLB versus an OLB in the Tampa 2 are significantly different. The Tampa 2 calls for much more coverage ability from the LB corps (hence small fast LBs such as ellison.) Simply put, Maybin would not have been the right fit for a Cover 2 LB.. Is he the right fit for a 3-4 OLB? Maybe.

The same coaching staff which missed the boat on Jabari Greer for several years before finally starting him?

The same coaching staff which missed the boat on Fred Jackson for several years?

The same coaching staff that started Donte Whitner for 3 years before finally realizing that George Wilson was a much better player?

The same staff that continually went with Keith Fukking Elison when they could have just played with 10 players on the field and actually performed better?

I had never seen such horrible talent evaluation until Shlong Jauron took over this team. Over the past 4 years I often wondered how many excellent players were stuck deep on the depth chart because of dick.

Maybin deserves a shot at OLB, as for the Patriots scenario he couldn't have looked more stupid than elison did on those plays.

The same coaching staff which missed the boat on Jabari Greer for several years before finally starting him?

The same coaching staff which missed the boat on Fred Jackson for several years?

The same coaching staff that started Donte Whitner for 3 years before finally realizing that George Wilson was a much better player?

The same staff that continually went with Keith Fukking Elison when they could have just played with 10 players on the field and actually performed better?

I had never seen such horrible talent evaluation until Shlong Jauron took over this team. Over the past 4 years I often wondered how many excellent players were stuck deep on the depth chart because of dick.

Maybin deserves a shot at OLB, as for the Patriots scenario he couldn't have looked more stupid than elison did on those plays.

You have a good argument...lets see what the new staff does with Maybin and the others.

If we keep him, I only see him being successful as a "situation down" player. Hopefully Chan can find a way to use him.

There is a big difference in being an OLB from the 4-3 than one of the 3-4.

I believe he would have a better chance in becoming a more effective player in the Hybrid 3-4 OLB spot. He's definitely athletic enough to drop back into coverage and he would most likely be going after the QB anyways.