Anyone else EMBARRASSED by the new GM?

Thurman8125

We all know the title BS. Bobby April was our assistant Head Coach. What was he in charge of? He didn't get the interim job NOR did he get an interview for the job at the end of the season. He was given the title so he couldn't move laterally to another team. Period. Nix was still a scout, basically in the Southeast quadrant of the country.

And precisely, I don't know much about Nix. Neither does anyone on this board, because he's never been in charge of anything for us to judge him on. That's my whole point. But yet, a lot of people will argue that he's not only a good GM already, but he's a great one. Top five even. Gimmie a friggin break.

Never said he was a top 5 GM. Just stated that he is regarded as one of the top 5 talent

evaluators in the league.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know the title BS. Bobby April was our assistant Head Coach. What was he in charge of? He didn't get the interim job NOR did he get an interview for the job at the end of the season. He was given the title so he couldn't move laterally to another team. Period. Nix was still a scout, basically in the Southeast quadrant of the country.

And precisely, I don't know much about Nix. Neither does anyone on this board, because he's never been in charge of anything for us to judge him on. That's my whole point. But yet, a lot of people will argue that he's not only a good GM already, but he's a great one. Top five even. Gimmie a friggin break.

Agreed. Let's face it, we just gave buddy his dream job that he has been passed up for his entire career at age 70. Then we find out that Ralph only interviewed two people because he didn't know any other names. That's why the Bills are looked at as a joke. Are you telling me there aren't any Theo Epstein type of young up and coming GMs that wouldn't want to come to Buffalo? Best case scenario for Buddy - he has 5 good drafts, gets some talent on the roster then retires. What do we do then? We keep bringing in guys mid 50's to 80's, low energy, nice, polite guys to run the organization. How does a 22 year old from the inner city relate? They don't. And they have no balls to do what we need to do and rock the boat. I'm not 70 years old, but based on the one's I know the last thing they want is to rock the boat. Both the Nix move and Gailey move are more of the same. The part that pisses me off the most is how cowards run the organization. John Guy got fired at 11:45 at night, with a two line piece - after the 11 pm news, and before there is any time to put anything significant in the papers. The Bills are afraid of the media, afraid of any real change - that's how we've become a joke to the rest of the league. You can smell fear and coward all over the organization.

Just curious what people think about Nix. When he introduced Gailey he was a bumbling fool that didn't even know how many coaches the Bills have had. A 70 year old goofball. So progressive! Typical Bills.

Oh give me a break... seriously worried about that. How dumb.

Agreed. Let's face it, we just gave buddy his dream job that he has been passed up for his entire career at age 70. Then we find out that Ralph only interviewed two people because he didn't know any other names. That's why the Bills are looked at as a joke. Are you telling me there aren't any Theo Epstein type of young up and coming GMs that wouldn't want to come to Buffalo? Best case scenario for Buddy - he has 5 good drafts, gets some talent on the roster then retires. What do we do then? We keep bringing in guys mid 50's to 80's, low energy, nice, polite guys to run the organization. How does a 22 year old from the inner city relate? They don't. And they have no balls to do what we need to do and rock the boat. I'm not 70 years old, but based on the one's I know the last thing they want is to rock the boat. Both the Nix move and Gailey move are more of the same. The part that pisses me off the most is how cowards run the organization. John Guy got fired at 11:45 at night, with a two line piece - after the 11 pm news, and before there is any time to put anything significant in the papers. The Bills are afraid of the media, afraid of any real change - that's how we've become a joke to the rest of the league. You can smell fear and coward all over the organization.

Everybody is different. Marv was coaching in his 70s, Ronald Reagan was President in his 70s, Ralph was in his 70s during the Bills Super Bowl years. You can't compare Marv, Ronnie, Ralph, Buddy or any individual 70 year old to the ones you know. They are probably retired-Buddy isn't. Buddy has gotten the double whammy around here by his detractors-he's either too old or he sounds too different to them.

It's not 15, but it all depends on how you do the count. You can count as few as 16 counting Gailey, 17 if you add Pitts when Marv was out with prostate cancer, 19 if you count the two terms each of Saban & Johnson separately.

Different men as Bills coaches:

1) Ramsey

2) Saban (twice)

3) Collier

4) Johnson (twice)

5) Rauch

6) Ringo

7) Knox

8) Stephenson

8) Bullough

10) Levy

11)Pitts

12) Phillips

13) Williams

14) Mularkey

15) Jauron

16) Fewell

17) Gailey

By the way, the Steelers have had 6, not 4 since 1960: Parker, Nixon, Austin, Noll, Cowher, Tomlin.

I don't have the time right now to read through 6 pages ... but there is no reason to include "interim" head coaches in this list. What Buddy was talking about was Head Coaches, not Interim Head Coaches. We have had 15 of those.

Not sure I'd say I'm a Trent Edwards fan, but yes, I still think he can be serviceable in the NFL. I feel so bad for the guy that he was brought up with the coaches in Buffalo. He QB'ed like Jauron coached, and that was scared to death. The thing is, he wasn't always so frightened to play the game as he was at the end. We may never know, and I'm OK with that, but yeah, I would have liked to see Trent get groomed under a different staff.

It's just hard for me to fathom that Trent Edwards can't do the same things that Pennington does in Miami, or that Flacco does in Baltimore. Either Trent is that bad, or the coaching was absolutely horrendous here. I think we can conclude that the coaching was horrendous, but I'm not so sure we can totally conclude that Trent can't be serviceable with a good set of coaches. I mean, if anyone watches football, Flacco and Pennington don't do jaw dropping things downfield.

We'll probably never know. And like I said, I'm OK with that too.

Coaching isn't what did in Trent here. The beginning of the end was the hit in Arizona. After that he became a frightened QB who has never recovered. Trent was injury prone before that hit. That hit and subsequent injuries made him more scared-not the coaching. Now if he had the O-line the Jets have, he might have been a little more courageous, but each hit, and each injury reinforced the reasons that Trent played scared. The bottom line is the O-line and Trent's injury history is responsible, not our coaches. Some QBs can recover if they get a good line in front of them. At one point I thought Kerry Collins was never going to be the same after he got his jaw broken. Eventually he got behind a good line and had some success after he got over the fear. On the other hand, a guy like Ken O'Brien just got too shellshocked and eventually was out of the league without ever recovering his courage to play QB.

I don't have the time right now to read through 6 pages ... but there is no reason to include "interim" head coaches in this list. What Buddy was talking about was Head Coaches, not Interim Head Coaches. We have had 15 of those.

It really doesn't matter how many coaches we've had, whatever way you want to define them. The bottom line is that with so many different interpretations on the number of coaches we've had, to get on Buddy Nix for his lack of certainty on the count is ridiculous. That was my point, not who is right or wrong in the count-because with the different ways to count them, there is no right or wrong answer among 4 or 5 choices.

Take a look at 2 years of drafting by the Patriots, which Pioli was involved in:

007 - New England Patriots

Rd Sel # Player Position current team

1 24 Brandon Meriweather NE

4 127 Kareem Brown DT Tenn

5 171 Clint Oldenburg T Was

6 180 Justin Rogers LB KC

6 202 Mike Richardson DB KC

6 208 Justise Hairston RB Buff

6 209 Corey Hilliard OT Det

7 211 Oscar Lua LB no team

7 247 Mike Elgin G no team

2006 - New England Patriots

1 21 Laurence Maroney RB NE

2 36 Chad Jackson WR Den

3 86 David Thomas TE NO

4 106 Garrett Mills RB Minn

4 118 Stephen Gostkowski K NE

5 136 Ryan O'Callaghan T KC

6 191 Jeremy Mincey LB Jax

6 205 Dan Stevenson G no team

6 206 Le Kevin Smith DT Den

7 229 Willie Andrews CB no team

How many are starters, and how many are still on the team?

Out of 19 players drafted in 2006 & 2007,

Only 3 are still on the team, and

Only 2 are starters (1 happens to be a kicker!)

Some drafting geniuses.

So you're quoting an article from Reuters?

"Long regarded as one of the beat evaluators of talent in the league, Nix served as assistant general manager of the San Diego Chargers from 2003 to 2008.

What the hell is a beat evaluator?

"I'm sorry the card says MOOPS"

Lets compare to Buffalo, just for kicks.

2007 - Buffalo Bills

1 12 Marshawn Lynch RB Buff

2 34 Paul Posluszny MLB Buff

3 92 Trent Edwards QB Buff

4 111 Dwayne Wright RB no team

6 184 John Wendling DB Buff

7 222 Derek Schouman FB Buff

7 239 C.J. Ah You DE St. L

2006 - Buffalo Bills

1 8 Donte Whitner SS Buff

1 26 John McCargo DT Buff

3 70 Ashton Youboty CB Buff

4 105 Ko Simpson FS Det

5 134 Kyle Williams DT Buff

5 143 Brad Butler T Buff

6 178 Keith Ellison OLB Buff

7 216 Terrance Pennington T no team

7 248 Aaron Merz G no team

Out of 16 players drafted in 2006 & 2007,

11 are currently still on the team, and

8 players went into the season as starters.

Levy doesn't sound too much of a dunce in player evaluation if you compare him to Belicheck and Pioli.

Lets compare to Buffalo, just for kicks.

2007 - Buffalo Bills

1 12 Marshawn Lynch RB Buff

2 34 Paul Posluszny MLB Buff

3 92 Trent Edwards QB Buff

4 111 Dwayne Wright RB no team

6 184 John Wendling DB Buff

7 222 Derek Schouman FB Buff

7 239 C.J. Ah You DE St. L

2006 - Buffalo Bills

1 8 Donte Whitner SS Buff

1 26 John McCargo DT Buff

3 70 Ashton Youboty CB Buff

4 105 Ko Simpson FS Det

5 134 Kyle Williams DT Buff

5 143 Brad Butler T Buff

6 178 Keith Ellison OLB Buff

7 216 Terrance Pennington T no team

7 248 Aaron Merz G no team

Out of 16 players drafted in 2006 & 2007,

11 are currently still on the team, and

8 players went into the season as starters.

Levy doesn't sound too much of a dunce in player evaluation if you compare him to Belicheck and Pioli.

He doesn't?

My dog has won as many Super Bowls as Marv Levy.

Btw, the 2006 and 2007 Bills drafts SUCKED.

Look at it.

I'm not totally thrilled with Nix and Gailey. But I'm so jaded anymore on the Bills now that I'm willing to give them a chance. Hell, they can't be worse than we've had lately right? Especially if some good football prople continue to get involved. Maybe Reeves, etc. Assistant coaches are huge.

But it's posts like this that make me want to smash my head through brick walls or even swallow pieces of broken glass.

So, now Buddy Nix is a TOP FIVE talent evaluator in the league huh? I named five better in a matter of 10 seconds without even thinking about it. Polian, Smith, Parcells, Newsome and Pioli by the way. As bad as it is when people totally discredit the new shaping of the Bills front office (with plenty of good reason), it's posts like this that can much more easily stir up the pot.

So, Nix is a top five guy in the league, yet he's never been anything more than a scout for the most part? Yeah ok. :rolleyes:

for those just joining the discussion, here is the post that started the Nix / Pioli debate.....

Lv-Bills says: Scott Pioli is a better talent evaluator than buddy nix (FALSE !!....thats unproven).

FACT: Pioli NEVER had FINAL SAY in new england, Bill Belichick does, so we don't know what Pioli would have done there if he had it.

i say: we do know that Pioli had final say for the very first time in his career for the Chiefs last year.....and they, in my opinion had a lousy draft. in the first round with the third pick overall in the draft they "reached" for Tyson Jackson, who most fans have labeled a BUST. they gave up their early second round pick (very high value/low cost) for the right to overpay "one year wonder" Matt Cassell. the rest of their draft produced ZERO starters on a team that went 4-12. not too good without Belichick.

Lv-Bills trashes Nix by saying: Buddy Nix has "never been anything more than a scout" (FALSE !!....thats just false).

FACTS: actually Pioli and Nix served similar roles.....they were both in charge of "Player Personnel" with neither having FINAL SAY. Nix's title was Assistant GM with S.D. in charge of Player Personnel and New england does not have a GM, Scotts title was V.P. of Player Personnel.

i say: Nix will run circles around Pioli and that the bills will make the playoffs BEFORE the chiefs do (all unproven predictions)...... time will tell. it's interesting to note that last year without Pioli, new england still had a very good draft. last year without Nix, San diego had a poor draft. Buffalo with Nix had a very good draft (Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre & Nelson). KC with Pioli had a poor draft.

He doesn't?

My dog has won as many Super Bowls as Marv Levy.

Btw, the 2006 and 2007 Bills drafts SUCKED.

Look at it.

We were comparing draft picks, the role of a GM.

Whitner is not a probowler, but a steady player. also can play almost any DB positions.

Youboty has the talent, but is injury prone.

Williams is an excellent player for the Bills.

Butler is a very good RG and RT.

Ellison, we have such a hard time replacing him.

Not too bad. That is just 2006.

2007: Lynch gave us a very good 2 years, and just needs to get his head on straight.

Posluszny is a solid LB and still getting better.

Edwards was supposed to be, and should have been the team's backup QB.

Wendling is a special teams monster.

Schouman is a good backup tight end.

Some people just want to look at the glass as half empty.

We were comparing draft picks, the role of a GM.

Whitner is not a probowler, but a steady player. also can play almost any DB positions.

Youboty has the talent, but is injury prone.

Williams is an excellent player for the Bills.

Butler is a very good RG and RT.

Ellison, we have such a hard time replacing him.

Not too bad. That is just 2006.

2007: Lynch gave us a very good 2 years, and just needs to get his head on straight.

Posluszny is a solid LB and still getting better.

Edwards was supposed to be, and should have been the team's backup QB.

Wendling is a special teams monster.

Schouman is a good backup tight end.

Some people just want to look at the glass as half empty.

You're kidding, right?

:rolleyes: