Anyone else EMBARRASSED by the new GM?

Thurman8125

SCOTT PIOLI without belechick........let's talk about Pioli's first draft last year for K.C........it SUCKED !!...GRADE "F"

they reached in the first round picking Tyson Jackson third overall.....and he is a BUST !!.....the rest of his draft stunk too....not one starter cracked the lineup on a garbage team. you have no idea what Pioli contributed to New England. Buddy Nix will run circles around your Pioli. If you wanna trash New England for falling off lately, then certainly Pioli's lack of keeping the pipeline loaded comes into question.

KC- Jackson (bust)

Bills- Maybin (bust), Wood (stud), Byrd (Pro Bowl) & Levitre (Starter).

This is so utterly stupid I have to stop now. I mean really. You state that I have no idea what Pioli contributed to NE even though he was in charge of personnel for NE. Yet, you then state in the next sentence that Buddy Nix would run circles around him, when all Nix has ever been was a scout. Oh yeah, and the BS asst GM title. LOL. Totally laughable.

Wood isn't a stud. Yet. He was average. We think he has upside. Far from a stud. Levitre was a starter out of necessity. I personally think they both will be OK, but both were granted starting jobs on the worst line in the NFL, because there was nobody else. Byrd had a great year, interception wise. I'm really not sure how good he is yet. Certainly a promising start and a great pick, but with just a tad less luck next year, his stats could really decrease. Maybin was a horrible pick, considering Orakpo was available. And yet, somehow Buddy "the scout" Nix was in charge of this draft. Of course though, like I said before, according to homers, he only picked the good players. The bad pick, which by the way, was the most important pick, wasn't his.

I honestly don't know about KC's draft this year, because I haven't looked at it yet, but that team, from coaching, to players, is improving already.

But yes, you are right, Pioli and Nix arent' comparable. Mainly because Nix hasn't ever been in charge of ANYTHING in the NFL, while Pioli actually has a track record. And a successful one at that.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're saying you're a Trent Edwards fan?

Not sure I'd say I'm a Trent Edwards fan, but yes, I still think he can be serviceable in the NFL. I feel so bad for the guy that he was brought up with the coaches in Buffalo. He QB'ed like Jauron coached, and that was scared to death. The thing is, he wasn't always so frightened to play the game as he was at the end. We may never know, and I'm OK with that, but yeah, I would have liked to see Trent get groomed under a different staff.

It's just hard for me to fathom that Trent Edwards can't do the same things that Pennington does in Miami, or that Flacco does in Baltimore. Either Trent is that bad, or the coaching was absolutely horrendous here. I think we can conclude that the coaching was horrendous, but I'm not so sure we can totally conclude that Trent can't be serviceable with a good set of coaches. I mean, if anyone watches football, Flacco and Pennington don't do jaw dropping things downfield.

We'll probably never know. And like I said, I'm OK with that too.

This is so utterly stupid I have to stop now. I mean really. You state that I have no idea what Pioli contributed to NE even though he was in charge of personnel for NE. Yet, you then state in the next sentence that Buddy Nix would run circles around him, when all Nix has ever been was a scout. Oh yeah, and the BS asst GM title. LOL. Totally laughable.

Wood isn't a stud. Yet. He was average. We think he has upside. Far from a stud. Levitre was a starter out of necessity. I personally think they both will be OK, but both were granted starting jobs on the worst line in the NFL, because there was nobody else. Byrd had a great year, interception wise. I'm really not sure how good he is yet. Certainly a promising start and a great pick, but with just a tad less luck next year, his stats could really decrease. Maybin was a horrible pick, considering Orakpo was available. And yet, somehow Buddy "the scout" Nix was in charge of this draft. Of course though, like I said before, according to homers, he only picked the good players. The bad pick, which by the way, was the most important pick, wasn't his.

I honestly don't know about KC's draft this year, because I haven't looked at it yet, but that team, from coaching, to players, is improving already.

But yes, you are right, Pioli and Nix arent' comparable. Mainly because Nix hasn't ever been in charge of ANYTHING in the NFL, while Pioli actually has a track record. And a successful one at that.

i'll make this simple...Pioli did NOT have final say in New England.....Belichick did.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/20...ots-draft_x.htm

Regarding the Dols, as Parcells likes to say, "you are what your record says you are." They were a 7-9 team this year. And again they lucked into the playoffs last year when Brady got hurt. How that equates to a "top 5 GM" is anyone's guess. And true, maybe Belichick needs to prove he can do it without Pioli. Maybe they are an example of synergy, while alone they're not as brilliant? I guess we'll see.

And I wasn't trying to say that Nix is the X best GM in the NFL. But his track record in SD speaks for itself.

Again, mind boggling. So, Nix's (is that how Nix gets pluralized?) track record in SD speaks for itself. Nix, who was a scout in charge of nothing, speaks for itself. No one here has any idea how much influence he had in SD, yet, his record speaks for itself.

BUT, on the other hand, Parcells doesn't equate to a top 5 GM (I think he's actually higher than a Gm, but we all know he's running that team). Did I understand that right? So, anything the Dolphins did is luck right? Going from 1-15, to 11-5 in one year, after gutting their staff and roster is luck right? And then despite being so young, and losing their QB, but being in contention until week 16 this year, was a bad year for a squad that is still rebuilding right? Not to mention, Parcells record in building rosters his whole career.

I don't get it. It's kinda like all the 'Tards on here that were saying Bobby April sucked as a coach now because his special teams units were finally average this year. For the first time in six years, we had average special teams, mainly from ridiculous player mistakes, and all of a sudden April sucks.

Again, there isn't a team in the league that would take Nix over any of the previous 5 GM's I named earlier in this thread. Not one. That's not even debatable. Hell, 31 teams have had their shot at Nix since Buddy has been in the NFL, and he just now finally landed with us. Kind of wild don't ya think, considering that so many people on TBD have him now as a top 5 GM in the league. :thumbsup:

i'll make this simple...Pioli did NOT have final say in New England.....Belichick did.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/20...ots-draft_x.htm

Gee, ya think?

OK, so let's even judge by this new revelation (like we didn't know this already). You still make no sense. On one hand you have NE. The franchise of the 2000's. On the other you have SD. Solid franchise in the 2000's. Pioli was in charge in NE, but we pretty much know, Belicheck probably had a heavy hand in the final say. Buddy Nix WAS A FRIGGIN SCOUT for SD behind a heavy handed, controlling, GM in SD.

So, at the very least, we have two guys that answered to someone else. Although, Pioli and Belicheck were most likely more intertwined than Buddy Nix, scout, was in SD. AND, to boot, NE was better than SD. Was better. Is better, and always has been better.

THUS, Pioli is still friggin better than Nix. He has better credentials. Has better teams. Was in a much higher position of authority, in a better organization, and for a better team than Nix. There is no justification for Buddy Nix, the scout, that makes him better than Pioli. Abso-friggin-lutely- none.

I hope he becomes better. I kinda like him. But the crap spewing from the homers is ridiculous.

Gee, ya think?

OK, so let's even judge by this new revelation (like we didn't know this already). You still make no sense. On one hand you have NE. The franchise of the 2000's. On the other you have SD. Solid franchise in the 2000's. Pioli was in charge in NE, but we pretty much know, Belicheck probably had a heavy hand in the final say. Buddy Nix WAS A FRIGGIN SCOUT for SD behind a heavy handed, controlling, GM in SD.

So, at the very least, we have two guys that answered to someone else. Although, Pioli and Belicheck were most likely more intertwined than Buddy Nix, scout, was in SD. AND, to boot, NE was better than SD. Was better. Is better, and always has been better.

THUS, Pioli is still friggin better than Nix. He has better credentials. Has better teams. Was in a much higher position of authority, in a better organization, and for a better team than Nix. There is no justification for Buddy Nix, the scout, that makes him better than Pioli. Abso-friggin-lutely- none.

I hope he becomes better. I kinda like him. But the crap spewing from the homers is ridiculous.

you really need to get your facts straight......let's start with Nix......you keep calling him a "scout".......his title was Assistant General Manager.....Nix's job with the Chargers was to oversee both pro and college scouting. thats slightly more than a "scout".

Belichick "probably" had a heavy hand????....he had FINAL SAY.......end of story.

Draft Grades 2009: do your homework

Bills "A" (with Nix)

N.E. "B" (without Pioli)

KC "F" (with Pioli)

SD "F" (without Nix)

don't put Pioli up there with Parcells & Polian just yet.......you have no idea what Pioli would have done in New England IF he had final say. We do know what he did in KC with Final Say and he Screwed it up !

Again, mind boggling. So, Nix's (is that how Nix gets pluralized?) track record in SD speaks for itself. Nix, who was a scout in charge of nothing, speaks for itself. No one here has any idea how much influence he had in SD, yet, his record speaks for itself.

What's mind boggling is that you know almost nothing about Nix (true, he was a scout with the Bills from 1993-2000), yet you talk like you do. Nix was the Director of Pro Player Personnel for the Chargers from 2001-2008. After Butler died and AJ Smith was promoted from AGM to GM, Nix was promoted to AGM. He was largely responsible for their drafts, as per AJ Smith and Chargers fans. That's hardly "in charge of nothing."

you really need to get your facts straight......let's start with Nix......you keep calling him a "scout".......his title was Assistant General Manager.....Nix's job with the Chargers was to oversee both pro and college scouting. thats slightly more than a "scout".

Belichick "probably" had a heavy hand????....he had FINAL SAY.......end of story.

Bills "A" (with Nix)

N.E. "B" (without Pioli)

KC "F" (with Pioli)

SD "F" (without Nix)

don't put Pioli up there with Parcells & Polian just yet.......you have no idea what Pioli would have done in New England IF he had final say. We do know what he did in KC with Final Say and he Screwed it up !

Oh come on. He was an assistant GM in title only, so that nobody could pluck him away for anything less than a GM title. Period. See Tom Modrak, Bobby April, etc. He was a glorified player scout. Which, there is nothing wrong with that. However, it's admirable, because that Asst GM title, protected him from leaving laterally in some cases. But that's what he was, basically, a scout. And from what I understand with the Chargers, Nix was in charge of the Southeast quadrant of the country. This is a known fact. He was heavily involved in scouting in the southeast, and he particularly loved the SEC. AJ Smith was in charge of the overall operation. Period. Nix was a scout. Didn't pick coaches. Suggested some players. AJ pulled the trigger.

And my point is still simple. Even if Belicheck had FINAL SAY, Pioli was still in a better position, AND SUCCEEDING as GM of a friggin better team, better franchise, and worked with better football people than Nix, the scout, who was in charge of NOTHING. NON COMPARABLE. Apples to friggin Oranges.

Any team in the league could have had Nix. ANY. Pioli not only turned down jobs, he then, now, finally broke away. So, why didn't anyone go after Nix? I mean, seriously, there are no arugments on this.

Some of you seriously can't be calling a scout one of the top five GM's in the league. Do you not see who utterly stupid that is? And then, to boot, some of you are trying to discredit some of the most successful GM's in the league, who are already established and already winning, and saying that Nix is better. It's embarassing. Take a homerless step back from the Bills monitor on your screen and honestly think about that a minute.

Again, we all hope Nix is OK, he's NOT one of the top five GM's in the league. This is almost as stupid as saying the Night Shift manager at Dell, is a better Chairman than Bill Gates.

What's mind boggling is that you know almost nothing about Nix (true, he was a scout with the Bills from 1993-2000), yet you talk like you do. Nix was the Director of Pro Player Personnel for the Chargers from 2001-2008. After Butler died and AJ Smith was promoted from AGM to GM, Nix was promoted to AGM. He was largely responsible for their drafts, as per AJ Smith and Chargers fans. That's hardly "in charge of nothing."

We all know the title BS. Bobby April was our assistant Head Coach. What was he in charge of? He didn't get the interim job NOR did he get an interview for the job at the end of the season. He was given the title so he couldn't move laterally to another team. Period. Nix was still a scout, basically in the Southeast quadrant of the country.

And precisely, I don't know much about Nix. Neither does anyone on this board, because he's never been in charge of anything for us to judge him on. That's my whole point. But yet, a lot of people will argue that he's not only a good GM already, but he's a great one. Top five even. Gimmie a friggin break.

We all know the title BS. Bobby April was our assistant Head Coach. What was he in charge of? He didn't get the interim job NOR did he get an interview for the job at the end of the season. He was given the title so he couldn't move laterally to another team. Period. Nix was still a scout, basically in the Southeast quadrant of the country.

And precisely, I don't know much about Nix. Neither does anyone on this board, because he's never been in charge of anything for us to judge him on. That's my whole point. But yet, a lot of people will argue that he's not only a good GM already, but he's a great one. Top five even. Gimmie a friggin break.

Lv-Bills was angry that day, like an old man waiting for his soup...

Bills "A" (with Nix)

N.E. "B" (without Pioli)

KC "F" (with Pioli)

SD "F" (without Nix)

Now, from some research, I come to see a little bit about KC's draft. So, KC's draft was an F huh? Really?

THe Chiefs, had two rookies on the All Rookie team. The Bills also had two. The Chiefs landed their first rounder on the all rookie team, while the Bills whiffed on Maybin. First rounders are kind of important.

Also, just read an article on Pioli that said he was hired in KC too late to change his scouts that looked for players. So, while Pioli had his own list, and he did say he picked last year's players, he immediately got rid of his scouts after the draft and hired Phil Emery from Atlanta. Emery, Pioli and Haley now will have a whole year of looking for his type of players. Modrak and Nix will still be the one's picking in Buffalo.

Despite landing two rooks on the All Rookie team last year, Pioli said he wasn't happy with his draft, because he wasn't on the same page with the staff that was already working there. He said that it created friction when discussing players, and thus everyone was second guessing themselves. He said the organization is now running how he sees it should. He's clearly in control. Nix has never had to do this sort of thing, he's just starting. We'll see how he does.

One of the knocks on Todd Haley was that his workload caused him to make gross mistakes in game and practice management. So, what did Pioli do? Went out and got him Weis and Crennel. Great move.

But again, the Chiefs landed two guys on the all rookie team, just like the Bills, and also acquired Matt Cassell. I'd say that was a pretty good start in KC. We'll see what happens this year. He's had a hell of a start acquiring SB caliber coordinators already. He's already ahead of Nix in that regard.

Again, not comparable.

Just curious what people think about Nix. When he introduced Gailey he was a bumbling fool that didn't even know how many coaches the Bills have had. A 70 year old goofball. So progressive! Typical Bills.

Why the heck is knowledge of the number of coaches the Bills have had relevant????????????????????????????????

Maybe the stupidest thing I have ever read in this forumn.

Think Marv Levy knew how many Bills' coaches there were before him when hired as a coach? Or, for that matter, almost any general manager in the league when hired?? Bill Polian? ('Hmm, let's see, before I take this job, I need to find out how many head coaches have worked here...')

I am not overly impressed by Nix at this point, but am willing to give him the benefit of doubt for a while. But unless I am reading this post wrong, ridiculously stupid and completely irrelevant.

Like the dumb little girl I went to middle school with, Patty, who used to come up to me all of the time to ask me to spell Misssissippi. When I just looked at her she would always spell it, as if it was relevant to her intelligence. Pretty much all she knew.

So the titles Aj Smith held were BS? Including Assistant Coach and Assistant GM?

A.J. Smith began his career in football management as assistant coach at Cranston High School West in Cranston, Rhode Island from 1971-76.

In 1976 he returned to the Eastern Football League and served as an assistant coach for the Rhode Island Kings, and in 1978 served as an assistant coach at the University of Rhode Island.

Smith officially began working in pro football in 1977 when he began serving as a part-time scout for the New York Giants (1977), New England Patriots(1978-1980), and Houston Oilers (1981).

From 1982-1984, Smith began scouting outside of the NFL and became a scout for the USFL (United States Football League) with the Chicago Blitz (1982-1983) and the Pittsburgh Maulers (1984).

In 1985, Smith began his first stint with the San Diego Chargers while serving as Pro Personnel Director until 1986.

In 1987, he began his 14-year tenure with the Buffalo Bills, in which he served as area scout (1987-1988), Assistant Director of College Scouting (1989-1992), Director of Pro Personnel (1993-2000).

Prior to being the Chargers GM, he held no position superior to any position Buddy Nix has held.

Just curious what people think about Nix. When he introduced Gailey he was a bumbling fool that didn't even know how many coaches the Bills have had. A 70 year old goofball. So progressive! Typical Bills.

You want an announcer? Hire Alex Trebek. By the way, a bumbling fool is not a that, a bumbling fool is a who. People are who, things are that. Just a little grammar lesson in case you don't want to sound like a bumbling fool. Or, maybe, an illiterate.

It's not 15, but it all depends on how you do the count. You can count as few as 16 counting Gailey, 17 if you add Pitts when Marv was out with prostate cancer, 19 if you count the two terms each of Saban & Johnson separately.

Different men as Bills coaches:

1) Ramsey

2) Saban (twice)

3) Collier

4) Johnson (twice)

5) Rauch

6) Ringo

7) Knox

8) Stephenson

8) Bullough

10) Levy

11)Pitts

12) Phillips

13) Williams

14) Mularkey

15) Jauron

16) Fewell

17) Gailey

By the way, the Steelers have had 6, not 4 since 1960: Parker, Nixon, Austin, Noll, Cowher, Tomlin.

You can count as few as 15 including Gailey. Pitts was only an acting HC due to health issues with the HC. That doesn't count. Fewell was the interim HC but teams do not count interim HCs because they are only filling out the year for a fired HC. With Pitts and Fewell gone Gailey is 15.

Parcells is a proven success multiple times.

Pioli needs to prove he can do it without Belichick. he got fleeced by belichick already on the matt cassel deal.

Parcells has proven more as a head coach than as a general manager. In his time with the Giants, and later with the Patriots, he didn't have final authority on personnel. So to evaluate his GM work you look at Dallas and Miami. He made it to the playoffs once in Miami, and multiple times in Dallas. I'm not sure how many playoff games he's won in those two locations though.

A guy like Parcells will be a solid choice as your team's GM. But thus far, he has a ways to go before he puts himself in the Polian category. I personally think that Polian would have been smart enough to take Matt Ryan instead of Long. Nothing against Long, but the Dolphins needed a quarterback, and Matt Ryan is very obviously franchise material!

No other NFL teams wanted Nix. He's 70 years old and he just got his first GM job. I know what you're thinking, Ralph is that much smarter than everybody else.

So by your Maybin logic, Mccargo isn't a bust? You are Ralph Wilson's dream fan. :thumbsup:

How long has McCargo been in the league?

How long has Maybin been in the league?

So you're telling me that ONE year in the league and you know he is already a bust. I guess

if he is moved to LB and has a probowl year, you would still think he is a bust based on being

drafted as a DE.