Gailey approved to cut Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick IF NEEDED

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things, first off it is well past time for this franchise to find a Franchise QB even if he is a top talent and we develop him. Enough of passing off scrubs as our starter.

Secondly, if Smithers wants to really bring back the fan base and Gailey/ Nix want to get the fans hyped, then go QB with the 9th pick. Yeah there will be some idiots bitching and moaning, but QB needs to be the pick for more reasons than one with this draft.

Then who should the Bills take ICE?

And do'nt tell me Bradford. He will NOT make it in this league! He's an Oklahoma system QB and an above average one at that. That equals failure in the NFL.

I think that Edwards saying "I'm not a fan of this team" was a pretty good indication of where his head is at.

Grow up you douche. These guys are professional athetes. Peyton Manning grew up in Louisiana - do you really think he was a "fan" of the colts before he got drafted. If you were Edwards and you grew up in the Bay area chances you would be a "fan" of the 49ers.

Since you took the time to pore over the stats to figure out how all the wins in '09 were due to opposing INT's, I thought I'd point out a few stats, too.

1st, you seem to be impressed with the first half of '08. You do realize that the 4-0 start was against teams that wound up a combined 16-48, don't you? And that Trent threw a whopping 1 TD per game in those wins, right? And that he threw more than 1 TD in a game only once the whole '08 season? Actually, his three best games the whole season were after the opening winning streak (and, for those who want to bring this up, AFTER the concussion).

I could also pick and choose stats to defend Fitz (like how his numbers are skewed from 2 relief outings when he wasn't getting 1st team practice reps, and how they are REALLY skewed from having 1/5th of his attempts against the best pass defense in the league), but that isn't really what my point was about. My main issue is with the tendency of Edwards supporters here to blame all of Trent's woes on the O-line (and Adrian Wilson, which I already debunked), but ignoring that Fitz was playing and more often than not winning under the same (if not worse) conditions.

Adding to this is you saying Fitz makes poor decisions; on this issue, I have to wonder whether you watched the games. Edwards makes one decision, over and over....dump it off. You are NEVER going to win throwing 2 yard passes on 3rd and 8 (although you do save your QB rating). Fitz, on the other hand, gives his WRs a chance. His decision making is so much better than TE's that there isn't even a choice between these two.

For arguement's sake I will not debate who makes better decisions, although captain check down I believe is the result of three years of DJ's coaching.

However even if Fitzy made the right decisions his throws are wildly inaccurate. He missed TO more than he delivered a catchable ball. I don't believe you can coach accuracy. Trent's disturbing trend of checking down and not pushing/forcing the ball downfield can be corrected with a new coaching staff, IMHO.

Haven't we seen enough of T.E.? He was only a 3rd round pick.

:thumbsup:

LOL give me a break. Cut him he was a 3rd round pick!....You better call New England and tell them to terminate Tom Brady immediately, as he was a SIXTH round pick.

Guest dog14787
I think that Edwards saying "I'm not a fan of this team" was a pretty good indication of where his head is at.

When indicating he could not speak for Bills fans which is all he meant, how many times do you need that explained to you?

I mean go back and listen to the interview how about it....

If we could get that, I would take it. Adios to another soft ass Cali boy!

OK, yeah that one in the AFC Championship game seems to doing just fine leading his team.....can we all get past this "soft CA' thing and focus more on the Bills massively reaching for guys like Losman and Edwards? lol, aaron rodgers plays in the coldest climate of the 32 teams and he sure looks like a stud.....not sure where this comemnt cropped up (jim kelly?) but it holds no water....the guys just suck, regardless of where they were from

For arguement's sake I will not debate who makes better decisions, although captain check down I believe is the result of three years of DJ's coaching.

However even if Fitzy made the right decisions his throws are wildly inaccurate. He missed TO more than he delivered a catchable ball. I don't believe you can coach accuracy. Trent's disturbing trend of checking down and not pushing/forcing the ball downfield can be corrected with a new coaching staff, IMHO.

Once again, someone misses the point. Jauron was Fitz' coach, too. The line sucked for Fitz, too. TO dropped balls for Fitz, too. The tight ends all got hurt for Fitz, too. The D didn't stop the run in Fitz's games, too. If anything, Fitz had things worse....3rd team in 4 years, o-line MORE beat up after he took over.

I purposely avoided defending Fitz with stats in my last post because I know the short attention spans here really aren't suited for long explanations, even when they make sense. But here we go: Fitz completed over 65% of his passes at RWS. That is not wildly inaccurate. In the games where he was the primary passer, he was under 50% twice...both times against the Jets, the best pass defense in the league. Contrast that to 5 (FIVE) games where he completed over 60%. And ironically, according to the splits on ESPN.com, Fitz is MORE accurate than Trent on the shortest passes, and is equal to him on all passes thrown under ten yards; he falls behind Trent in completion percentage based on the massively higher number of attempts he made of over 10 yards.

And once again, we are back full circle to my original point....Ryan tried to force the action, while having all the same negative issues circulating around him; his stats took a beating, but the TEAM responded well to him. And by the way, he's about 10 times more elusive in the pocket than Edwards. Do you think Trent can be coached up in that area? I sure as !@#$ don't.

Let's also not forget that Edwards has sustained two (that we know of) serious concussions in the past two seasons. Knowledge of that HAS to factor into Gailey's evaluation, since Trent could very well be one more concussion away from having to retire from the sport. Note that Gailey did get an up close look at Troy Aikman's final years, which were also plagued with concussions.

I think it's time to let trent hit the bricks, , fitz may be around but ultimately I think it will be Brohm, our drafted QB (Lefevour), and the FA we bring in to hold the reigns for a year or two. If Nix is serious about building this team the right way, I think you have to let both fitz and TE go. IDK we'll see, only time will tell.

Guest dog14787

Gailey likes high percentage, smart Football. Captain Checkdown along with a slash type player to mix in on the play calling is Taylor made for Chan "the man" Gailey.

We should keep our group of QB's intact in my opinion. Brohm, Edwards and Fitzpatrick all have untapped talent and capabilities yet to be seen. Lets give them the proper Coaching and protection it takes to succeed in this league before we decide anything.

Note:Trent Edwards through it all has maintained his silence and handled himself in a professional manner. TE's loyalty to the team is and always has been evident in everything he says or does,

"My goal is to take this team to the Superbowl and bring home a Championship"

I Billieve ...

I think Edwards as gone, not because he wouldn't make an acceptable backup but because he's mentally spent in Buffalo. He's turned on the city, the fans have turned on him. It's time for him to go.

Agree. He's said some pretty stupid things (e.g. "I'm not a Buffalo Bills fan" and -- paraphrasing -- "do'h, I didn't realize TO had a record going"). Behind a fantastic OL and a new situation, he MIGHT improve, but I think he is pretty much done here. I think Fitz will be kept around -- for a while anyhow. (EDIT -- all of which could be easily forgiven if Edwards performed well, but he has not).

LOL give me a break. Cut him he was a 3rd round pick!....You better call New England and tell them to terminate Tom Brady immediately, as he was a SIXTH round pick.

Ya but hes got 3 rings

Edwards has below average numbers and 500 record

He can't cut it, If he was a first rounder or undrafted if he cant do it he cant do it. Cut your losses and move on