Gailey approved to cut Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick IF NEEDED

I was on the fence about Edwards to start the season but who would've thought that he'd be cut after this season! Watching the Sand Diego game two years ago when he came off of that concussion made me believe, even through the Cleveland meltdown on Monday Night, that he could at the very least be decent. But this season it became obvious, he is just not that good. Oh well, my college coach said that you can't hate a guy for sucking if he tries hard. So long Trent, may you avoid concussions in all of your future endeavors.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edwards......Fitzpatrick.......Brohm

one of them is gone for sure.....the other two might stick around as backups for whoever they bring in.

i say edwards is gone......just doesn't have the passion or fire needed to be a leader....plus i think he lost Lee Evans support.....which would be crucial.

This is the Bills and money could be a factor, Fitz is due to pull down $2.3 mil this season. http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=3240

Trent will make $550,000.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpag...NfL&id=4220

Neither one is the answer. Trent is super fragile. But this decision could come down to dollars and cents.

This is the Bills and money could be a factor, Fitz is due to pull down $2.3 mil this season. http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=3240

Trent will make $550,000.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpag...NfL&id=4220

Neither one is the answer. Trent is super fragile. But this decision could come down to dollars and cents.

How can you say that? Money has never been a factor before. :flirt:

Edwards......Fitzpatrick.......Brohm

one of them is gone for sure.....the other two might stick around as backups for whoever they bring in.

i say edwards is gone......just doesn't have the passion or fire needed to be a leader....plus i think he lost Lee Evans support.....which would be crucial.

Whichever one makes the most money will be the odd man out. I expect Bills payroll to drop significantly this coming season as there will be ne salary floor.

This is good news for Gailey. It allows him to evaluate his roster first hand, as opposed to cutting players based on past production. Given the quality of coaching that TE has had in Buffalo, coupled with the extraordinary carousel of an OL...it

makes sense to give the coach that chance.

It does the bills no good to throw the baby out with the wash. Might as well give a REAL coach a chance to find out if he can do anything with TE.

Funny... JP was in this very same situation. But Fassel found a way to win with him........ I'm just saying.

Really? You are comparing the NFL with the UFL or whatever 4 team league that was.....come on. JP was not bad due to coaching/lack of coaching etc....he was bad b/c he could not make quick enough decisions, throw accurately and recognize defenses coverages quick enough. He just wasn't good enough.

The same with all of our other QBs for the past decade.

Edwards looked like he was finally going to be the guy but he obviously is not. It is NOT because he is the victim of bad coaching etc....when he has time he has failed to throw accurately, or throw well (pick 6 against Miami/Clevelan game/three complete ridiculous throws to TO against TN/49ers game last yr/etc...). He is also injury prone. Great guy, I just think he is a career back up QB. Fitz is a back up QB as well. Brohm is an unknown but probably a career back up as well.

I completely get the context but Edwards should have had enough sense to not make such a stupid comment.

Agreed. However, it's not grounds for dismissal. If people want him cut because they think he'll never regain his confidence, then okay, but the "trent turned on the city" comment was ridiculous. A new head coach could potentially get more out of Edwards than Fitzpatrick. Neither are good options. If either of them are our starting quarterback for the majority of next season, then this offseason will have been a failure.

Most likely QB situation:

1) New Guy

2) Fitzpatrick

3) Brohm

Here's why: 3)Edwards is gone because he's done as the starter & you can't go from starter to #3 on the team you used to start for. Additionally, your #3 should be a cheap player without a lot of experience, but could develop into a #2 within a year or 2, a "project" -that's Brohm.

2) Fitzpatrick is the perfect #2, a smart guy with a good arm, who can fill in for several games & keep the team afloat, but not the answer at #1. If the new guy is a rookie 1st or 2nd round pick, Fitz can start the season & new guy eased in after the bye.

1) New Guy-If he's a veteran, like McNabb, he's entrenched at #1, no questions asked because that's what we'd be acquiring him for. If he's a rookie 1st or 2nd rounder, he starts if ready, otherwise he's #2 behind Fitz for the 1st part of the season.

I was on the fence about Edwards to start the season but who would've thought that he'd be cut after this season! Watching the Sand Diego game two years ago when he came off of that concussion made me believe, even through the Cleveland meltdown on Monday Night, that he could at the very least be decent. But this season it became obvious, he is just not that good. Oh well, my college coach said that you can't hate a guy for sucking if he tries hard. So long Trent, may you avoid concussions in all of your future endeavors.

HAHAHAHA love the avatar!

This seems like the classic case of making a mountain out of a molehill. Nix just said that Gailey has freedom to do as he pleases. This is news?

Yeah, but you gotta think about it, Sig. Why would the conversation of the freedom to make his choices even come up if it wasn't relevant one way or another to the Bills plans. In other words, I'm thinking there's a good chance that Gailey will be cutting at least one of the 2 top guys.

Trent Edwards isn't going anywhere -- $550,000 = cheap backup with starting experience.

Fitzpatrick is likely out with a $1.8 million dollar salary.

Buffalo's 2010 QB's:

_________ - starter

Trent Edwards - backup

Brian Brohm/Camp Fodder - 3rd String

Trent Edwards isn't going anywhere -- $550,000 = cheap backup with starting experience.

Fitzpatrick is likely out with a $1.8 million dollar salary.

Buffalo's 2010 QB's:

_________ - starter

Trent Edwards - backup

Brian Brohm/Camp Fodder - 3rd String

This is typical Ralph is cheap nonsense. They're not cutting the guy who is the perfect #2 for a guy in the last year of his contract-there are still people around the organization who experienced the disaster of JP waiting on the sidelines for his sentence in Buffalo to end & they won't let that happen again. Trent is going to have to do a lot to make the team. About the only way he stays is if we draft a guy who is so not ready the rookie ends up #3. There's no way Trent & Fitzpatrick are both on the roster unless one is starting, and Fitzpatrick is a lock to be back on this team next year.

I think Edwards as gone, not because he wouldn't make an acceptable backup but because he's mentally spent in Buffalo. He's turned on the city, the fans have turned on him. It's time for him to go.

He turned on the city?? Oookay? That didn't happen