INTERESTING Dan Reeves Comment...

Bash_Gash

Dan Reeves liking Buffalo option

In this WIVB article the possibility of Dan Reeves reaching out to Chan Gailey is a very intriguing option.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills...s-coach-search

The Bills wound up with Gailey, who's

got extensive experience in the NFL. He

started in the NFL in Denver in 1985 under Dan Reeves, who grew up in Gailey's hometown of Americus, Georgia and coached him in little league baseball.

News 4 Sports spoke with Dan Reeves Wednesday, and asked for his opinion on Chan Gailey.

"Chan's gonna be sound. He's fundamentally sound, he's gonna do things that make them able to compete week in and week out. He's gonna be very well prepared. But I think also Chan is also on the cutting edge. He's gonna be one of those innovative guys who come up with things."

Reeves, who coached in four Super Bowls and played in two others, has not coached since he was fired by the Atlanta Falcons after the 2003 season. But he would not rule out coming to Buffalo to work on Gailey's staff.

"He hasn't reached out to me," Reeves said, "but I coached him in Little League and he might give me a chance. He might come back and try to see if I could help him out."

We asked if Reeves would be open to working with Gailey in Buffalo.

"I tell you, if I could help Chan Gailey out, I would certainly be interested in that."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted January 21st, 2010

Tags: Chan Gailey, Dan Reeves One of Chan Gailey’s chief mentors in coaching is former Broncos, Giants and Falcons head coach Dan Reeves. The 66-year old former sideline boss has commented favorably on the Bills’ hire of Gailey. But now he left open the possibility of helping Gailey.

Reeves has told WIVB-TV in Buffalo that he would not rule out coming to work on Gailey’s staff.

“He hasn’t reached out to me,” Reeves told WIVB-TV, “but I coached him in Little League and he might give me a chance. He might come back and try to see if I could help him out.”

When asked by Channel 4 if Reeves would be open to working with Gailey in Buffalo he said the following.

“I tell you, if I could help Chan Gailey out, I would certainly be interested in that.”

Gailey got his first NFL coaching job under Reeves in Denver as his special teams coach and later as offensive coordinator. Reeves’ last season as head coach was in 2003 with the Falcons, but reportedly interviewed for the 49ers offensive coordinator post just last January.

Tags: Chan Gailey, Dan Reeves One of Chan Gailey's chief mentors in coaching is former Broncos, Giants and Falcons head coach Dan Reeves. The 66-year old former sideline boss has commented favorably on the Bills' hire of Gailey. But now he left open the possibility of helping Gailey.

Reeves has told WIVB-TV in Buffalo that he would not rule out coming to work on Gailey's staff.

"He hasn't reached out to me," Reeves told WIVB-TV, "but I coached him in Little League and he might give me a chance. He might come back and try to see if I could help him out."

When asked by Channel 4 if Reeves would be open to working with Gailey in Buffalo he said the following.

"I tell you, if I could help Chan Gailey out, I would certainly be interested in that."

Gailey got his first NFL coaching job under Reeves in Denver as his special teams coach and later as offensive coordinator. Reeves' last season as head coach was in 2003 with the Falcons, but reportedly interviewed for the 49ers offensive coordinator post just last January.

others are now posting about this report....

Tags: Chan Gailey, Dan Reeves One of Chan Gailey’s chief mentors in coaching is former Broncos, Giants and Falcons head coach Dan Reeves. The 66-year old former sideline boss has commented favorably on the Bills’ hire of Gailey. But now he left open the possibility of helping Gailey.

Reeves has told WIVB-TV in Buffalo that he would not rule out coming to work on Gailey’s staff.

“He hasn’t reached out to me,” Reeves told WIVB-TV, “but I coached him in Little League and he might give me a chance. He might come back and try to see if I could help him out.”

“I tell you, if I could help Chan Gailey out, I would certainly be interested in that.”

Gailey got his first NFL coaching job under Reeves in Denver as his special teams coach and later as offensive coordinator. Reeves’ last season as head coach was in 2003 with the Falcons, but reportedly interviewed for the 49ers offensive coordinator post just last January.

GET ER DONE CHAN. I'm not sure in what capacity Reeves is referring to. But this man is a pure football mind. It couldn't hurt. I mean really, Dan Reeves as some sort of assistant......ummm, yeah, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Dan Reeves liking Buffalo option

In this WIVB article the possibility of Dan Reeves reaching out to Chan Gailey is a very intriguing option.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills...s-coach-search

The Bills wound up with Gailey, who's

got extensive experience in the NFL. He

started in the NFL in Denver in 1985 under Dan Reeves, who grew up in Gailey's hometown of Americus, Georgia and coached him in little league baseball.

News 4 Sports spoke with Dan Reeves Wednesday, and asked for his opinion on Chan Gailey.

"Chan's gonna be sound. He's fundamentally sound, he's gonna do things that make them able to compete week in and week out. He's gonna be very well prepared. But I think also Chan is also on the cutting edge. He's gonna be one of those innovative guys who come up with things."

Reeves, who coached in four Super Bowls and played in two others, has not coached since he was fired by the Atlanta Falcons after the 2003 season. But he would not rule out coming to Buffalo to work on Gailey's staff.

"He hasn't reached out to me," Reeves said, "but I coached him in Little League and he might give me a chance. He might come back and try to see if I could help him out."

We asked if Reeves would be open to working with Gailey in Buffalo.

Bring it on. Always liked Reeves and you can bet he would garner respect in an assistants role. I have said it before, but when you have accomplished great things as a coach it's easier to get players to buy into the system and stick to it when things aren't going so well. They can chat Gailey up all they want, but he's nearly 60 years old and has never won a playoff game as a HC in the NFL and was even fired at middling Georgia Tech. NFL players aren't going to unconditionally buy into what he is selling. One of the key reasons why this was the wrong hire. Adding a guy like Reeves to staff would add some luster and credibility to his program, if he has an appropriate job for him.

I'm not sure Chan would be comfortable with that. Does anybody think Reeves is just going to be content to be a coordinator or some sort of consultant?

Well not everyone has the ego that they need to be the number one guy. Remember Sam Wyche was our QB coach for a while.

GET ER DONE CHAN. I'm not sure in what capacity Reeves is referring to. But this man is a pure football mind. It couldn't hurt. I mean really, Dan Reeves as some sort of assistant......ummm, yeah, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Almost afraid to ask- what is a pure football mind? :thumbsup:

I don't see how Ralph could be "comfortable" with that.

:wallbash:

More importantly, is OnTheRocks comfortable with it.....doesn't matter if the owner who pays millions is........ ;)

I'm not sure Chan would be comfortable with that. Does anybody think Reeves is just going to be content to be a coordinator or some sort of consultant?

I had the same thoughts, but maybe he is. He doesnt seem to display the same ego as a lot of successful head coaches portray. He might be content in working in football and not in a role where he receives the pressure a head coach gets

I believe Reeves actually signed on as a consultant in Dallas last winter, though he left after a few days because the Cowboys wanted him to work a specified number of hours each week, which he wasn't too happy about. He was willing to come back in a lesser role to help his friend Wade and apparently is willing to do the same for Gailey.