Another former coach likes the Gailey hire...

Big Turk

Herm Edwards was the worst head coach in the NFL for years...I always said that Dick Jauron could never be the worst coach in the league as long as Herm was collecting a paycheck.

His endorsement doesn't mean spit

Herm is a perfect example of someone being over-promoted. Great motivator and solid talent evaluator, horrible gameday coach -- worse than Jauron.

If Gailey went to Herm and offered him the DC job, I wouldn't be disappointed.

I thought you were implying that Edwards said good things about Gailey because he wanted Gailey to get the job. Your example made it sound that way

when other coaches start saying nice things about you and giving you awards it usually is to a loser who they are trying to help keep or get a job.

I'm just saying take it with a grain of salt. Other coaches like the guy and want to go on record as being supportive. Doesn't mean that they would hire him if they owned the franchise.

Look to whether teams win or lose under him. On the plus side was his head coaching stint in Dallas more than a decade ago, and to a lesser extent his coaching at Georgia Tech. On the negative, he's been on the shelf for a decade for an NFL head coach job and we're the first buyer.

Herm Edwards said he thinks Gailey is a good coach and was the right hire for the Bills based on their situation. Somepoints he brought up about Gailey:

- very good record at developing QBs

- good offensive mind that can run any type of attack that adapts to the personnel he has

- coaches hard at times but will be fair

- demands players execute properly and will not tolerate sloppiness

Seems like all the coaches all have good things to say about Gailey, but it could be because they are all in the same fraternity..

HC's that get fired quickly don't do this, IMO. A HC has about 3 years to prove themselves and keep their jobs. Any HC who comes in and tries to put square pegs into round holes is, a lot of the time, blowing away his first two years. Putting players in a position to make plays is the most important thing in scheming for an opponent. JMO. I also believe that being able to do this makes the players buy into the coaches philosophy quicker.

What does a former coach like Herm know? I'd rather believe a zit-faced kid blogging in his mom's basement who bases all his opions on his Madden game.

PTR

What is Gailey's rating in Madden this year?

This is exactly what good coaches do. When you try to jam a system down someone's throat, it rarely works.

The WCO was developed because Montana/Young/Rice/Craig/Taylor had the talent to execute it. The 46 defense was developed because Buddy Ryan and Mike Singletary knew what to call with the guys he had on the field. Things like these schemes were rarely duplicated well by other teams trying to follow the system.

Knowing that Gailey is the type of coach to build a system around the talent he has is refreshing and optimistic. Perhaps he can find a DC who can do the same thing.

Any DC who walks in and tries to put the 3-4 on the field this year isn't doing that. The Bills need to stay 4-3. If they want to transition to a 3-4 it will take a couple of years of drafting and FA's to do it successfully. JMO.

Hey, don't forget about all the beer swilling, mullet-wearing, fat slobs plunking away at their greasy keyboards! Now, THOSE guys know football!

I am not fat!!! :ph34r:

Herm Edwards said he thinks Gailey is a good coach and was the right hire for the Bills based on their situation.

Seems like all the coaches all have good things to say about Gailey, but it could be because they are all in the same fraternity..

It is called professional courtesy.

This is exactly what good coaches do. When you try to jam a system down someone's throat, it rarely works.

The WCO was developed because Montana/Young/Rice/Craig/Taylor had the talent to execute it. The 46 defense was developed because Buddy Ryan and Mike Singletary knew what to call with the guys he had on the field. Things like these schemes were rarely duplicated well by other teams trying to follow the system.

Knowing that Gailey is the type of coach to build a system around the talent he has is refreshing and optimistic. Perhaps he can find a DC who can do the same thing.

Cowher stated a good example in Pittsburgh, where Gailey was OC, and the team was down to only having 1 WR because of injuries that week. Gailey was used to working with 4 and 5 WR packages that year in Pittsburgh, but designed a gameplan for that week in which they ran a 1 WR, 2 TE, 2 RB package and ended up winning the game. I guess in some ways, he didn't have much of a choice, but its one thing to run it, its another thing to be able to run it well on short notice after having virtually no practice with it...

It is called professional courtesy.

I agree that might be part of it, but at the same time he was really into saying how good a coach Gailey was...its one thing to say stuff like that, but its another when you go on and on about it...

Any DC who walks in and tries to put the 3-4 on the field this year isn't doing that. The Bills need to stay 4-3. If they want to transition to a 3-4 it will take a couple of years of drafting and FA's to do it successfully. JMO.

Perhaps they could run some type of hybrid scheme where depending on certain things they could run both a 3-4 and 4-3 depending on what the offense was trying to do...

Herm Edwards said he thinks Gailey is a good coach and was the right hire for the Bills based on their situation. Somepoints he brought up about Gailey:

- very good record at developing QBs

- good offensive mind that can run any type of attack that adapts to the personnel he has

- coaches hard at times but will be fair

- demands players execute properly and will not tolerate sloppiness

Interesting. Edwards was on with Colin Cowherd in the morning and they were talking about a list Cowherd came up with on the worst head coaching jobs. Not a surprise that Bills were #2 behind The Raiders.

Herm Edwards was the worst head coach in the NFL for years...I always said that Dick Jauron could never be the worst coach in the league as long as Herm was collecting a paycheck.

how many times did herm's teams make the playoffs ?

I'm no fan of Edwards, but this defies reality. If he's so bad, why did his teams make the playoffs 4 times in 8 seasons -- 8 seasons in which the Bills, regardless of who their coach was, didn't make the playoffs once? Lay off the hyperbole. He had decent but never had great talent, and was an OK coach (no better, no worse).

Herm is a perfect example of someone being over-promoted. Great motivator and solid talent evaluator, horrible gameday coach -- worse than Jauron.

If Gailey went to Herm and offered him the DC job, I wouldn't be disappointed.

4 playoff appearances, 8 seasons. All this decade. The Bills playoff appearances in the same timespan: 0.

4 playoff appearances, 8 seasons. All this decade. The Bills playoff appearances in the same timespan: 0.

Yeah that is what I thought. Yes he can be goofy and did seem to blow his timeouts. Howevert 4 out 8 years is pretty good results