Another former coach likes the Gailey hire...

Big Turk

Herm Edwards said he thinks Gailey is a good coach and was the right hire for the Bills based on their situation. Somepoints he brought up about Gailey:

- very good record at developing QBs

- good offensive mind that can run any type of attack that adapts to the personnel he has

- coaches hard at times but will be fair

- demands players execute properly and will not tolerate sloppiness

Seems like all the coaches all have good things to say about Gailey, but it could be because they are all in the same fraternity..

Gailey has a toughness that his sometimes laid-back approach belies. He whipped the '98 Cowboys into shape quickly, and believe me, most of them had morphed into a bunch of complacent, rest-on-your-laurels types by the time Barry Switzer's 4 years were over.

As I'd mentioned in another post, Nate Newton was close to 400 pounds after the '97 season, and Gailey basically told him he had to lose about 100 pounds if he wanted to play for him, even if he did have 3 Super Bowl rings and numerous Pro Bowls on his resume. Newton got all the way down to 293 at one point.

The Cowboys had also become notorious for a lot of pre-snap stupid penalties by the time Gailey got there. One of his first orders of business was to get some post-practice penalty laps going for all the offenders, and those penalties went down pretty quickly.

In reality, Gailey doesn't appear to take much crap from anyone, not even Jerry Jones. He was fired for refusing to agree to Jones's insistence he hire an offensive coordinator. He's a principled guy who will think for himself.

Herm Edwards said he thinks Gailey is a good coach and was the right hire for the Bills based on their situation. Somepoints he brought up about Gailey:

- good offensive mind that can run any type of attack that adapts to the personnel he has

Seems like all the coaches all have good things to say about Gailey, but it could be because they are all in the same fraternity..

Source?

What does a former coach like Herm know? I'd rather believe a zit-faced kid blogging in his mom's basement who bases all his opions on his Madden game.

PTR

Herm Edwards was the worst head coach in the NFL for years...I always said that Dick Jauron could never be the worst coach in the league as long as Herm was collecting a paycheck.

His endorsement doesn't mean spit

This is exactly what good coaches do. When you try to jam a system down someone's throat, it rarely works.

The WCO was developed because Montana/Young/Rice/Craig/Taylor had the talent to execute it. The 46 defense was developed because Buddy Ryan and Mike Singletary knew what to call with the guys he had on the field. Things like these schemes were rarely duplicated well by other teams trying to follow the system.

Knowing that Gailey is the type of coach to build a system around the talent he has is refreshing and optimistic. Perhaps he can find a DC who can do the same thing.

Someone's looking for a DC job.

My best friend a career coach won his conference 9 of 11 years running, had any number of all americans and two championships in a division 3 school, but never got named coach of the year by the coaches in the conference. I asked him about it and he said...when other coaches start saying nice things about you and giving you awards it usually is to a loser who they are trying to help keep or get a job.

My best friend a career coach won his conference 9 of 11 years running, had any number of all americans and two championships in a division 3 school, but never got named coach of the year by the coaches in the conference. I asked him about it and he said...when other coaches start saying nice things about you and giving you awards it usually is to a loser who they are trying to help keep or get a job.

Save for the bit where Gailey was doing neither when Herm spoke

Gailey has a toughness that his sometimes laid-back approach belies. He whipped the '98 Cowboys into shape quickly, and believe me, most of them had morphed into a bunch of complacent, rest-on-your-laurels types by the time Barry Switzer's 4 years were over.

As I'd mentioned in another post, Nate Newton was close to 400 pounds after the '97 season, and Gailey basically told him he had to lose about 100 pounds if he wanted to play for him, even if he did have 3 Super Bowl rings and numerous Pro Bowls on his resume. Newton got all the way down to 293 at one point.

The Cowboys had also become notorious for a lot of pre-snap stupid penalties by the time Gailey got there. One of his first orders of business was to get some post-practice penalty laps going for all the offenders, and those penalties went down pretty quickly.

In reality, Gailey doesn't appear to take much crap from anyone, not even Jerry Jones. He was fired for refusing to agree to Jones's insistence he hire an offensive coordinator. He's a principled guy who will think for himself.

Welcome to the board, Chan! We believe in you

Who the hell do you think you are coming in here and posting rational information.

Shame on you!!

Heaps of peepz kept singing praise to Jauron as well... I give these reports zero credibility other then to reinforce the old boys network ties...

they would have praised Shanahan or Cowher as well. Is that them reinforcing the good ol boys network as well?

Who cares what any of these former coaches say? Gailey has to win. Period. That's the only thing that matters. Not analysis. And BTW, Herm Edwards was FAR from the worst coach in the NFL when he was coaching. Clock managment was bad. Still had his teams, when they had some talent, in the playoffs at two different stops.

What does a former coach like Herm know? I'd rather believe a zit-faced kid blogging in his mom's basement who bases all his opions on his Madden game.

PTR

Hey, don't forget about all the beer swilling, mullet-wearing, fat slobs plunking away at their greasy keyboards! Now, THOSE guys know football!