Tebow Commercial Airing During Super Bowl

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't give a **** what Tim Tebow believes. It he wants to tattoo scripture on his genitals and !@#$ goats that's his business. If he wants to go on TV or the internet and scream his views to the heavens that's his prerogative.

What I do believe is this:

1. If you're going to espouse your views to the world you damn well better be prepared to deal with the blowback and repercussions. For every person that agrees with Tebow there are likely to be 2-3 that don't. He's about to learn that this isn't Gainesville anymore, he's playing on the national stage.

2. I'm not the most religious person in the world but I find it insulting when players thank God for their performance or a win. How shallow do you have to be to believe that your God actually gives a **** about your sporting event?

Now time for my blasphemous comment: Why don't any of the religious pundits ever buy airtime to call out God when he kills 200,000 people in Haiti? Seems to me that if you're going to praise him for his mercy, you should call him out when he acts like a douche bag.

2. I'm not the most religious person in the world but I find it insulting when players thank God for their performance or a win. How shallow do you have to be to believe that your God actually gives a **** about your sporting event?

And consider that when he is thanking his God for something, it means the opposing players Gods just !@#$ed them.

Now time for my blasphemous comment: Why don't any of the religious pundits ever buy airtime to call out God when he kills 200,000 people in Haiti? Seems to me that if you're going to praise him for his mercy, you should call him out when he acts like a douche bag.

Well one kinda did, Pat Roberston. But he didn't blame God, he blaimed the people of Haiti for making a deal with Satan and that's why God screwed them over.

I really don't give a **** what Tim Tebow believes. It he wants to tattoo scripture on his genitals and !@#$ goats that's his business. If he wants to go on TV or the internet and scream his views to the heavens that's his prerogative.

What I do believe is this:

1. If you're going to espouse your views to the world you damn well better be prepared to deal with the blowback and repercussions. For every person that agrees with Tebow there are likely to be 2-3 that don't. He's about to learn that this isn't Gainesville anymore, he's playing on the national stage.

Exactly. He's free to do what he wants, but if I were his agent I would strongly advise him to avoid controversey at all costs, especially before he's even been drafted. Beyond his football skills, part of what a team evaluates in a pick is how the player will fit in with the organization and the community as well as how much merchadising they can do with him (i.e. - will his jersey sell like hotcackes). Until you sign an NFL contract, shut up and do as little as possible to rock the boat - it can only cost you money....

I'm a bit of a contradiction on this subject. I think abortion is wrong but I also feel it's 100% the womans choice. No law or religious edict should tell any woman what to do. If Tebouw tells women to think twice about abortion then I don't have a problem. If he does a Brit Hume and says you need Jesus in your life then that's another story. If you don't agree then ask yourself how you would feel if Gibran Hamdan did a Super Bowl ad telling women to wear bhurkas?

PTR

I'm a bit of a contradiction on this subject. I think abortion is wrong but I also feel it's 100% the womans choice. No law or religious edict should tell any woman what to do. If Tebouw tells women to think twice about abortion then I don't have a problem. If he does a Brit Hume and says you need Jesus in your life then that's another story. If you don't agree then ask yourself how you would feel if Gibran Hamdan did a Super Bowl ad telling women to wear bhurkas?

PTR

Less of a contradiction than more of a reasonable opinion.

I have no doubt you will ignore this, my dear:

Focus On the Family is famous for adamantly opposing virtually every LGBT-friendly initiative — from domestic partner and survivors benefits, hate crimes legislation or employment non-discrimination measures. They also steadfastly supported Colorado’s Amendment 2 of 1996 (which would have disenfranchised LGBT people from the legislative process) and they opposed the repeal of anti-sodomy laws in the U.S.

And that is the very very tip of the iceberg.

Contrast that with the ad that CBS rejected during the Super Bowl in 2005 from the United Church of Christ that promoted that organization's inclusion of gays, racial minorities and people with disabilities. CBS put out a statement staying that it was "too controversial" and "unacceptable for broadcast." Not sure how they justify taking the $3 million in this case.

Contrast that with the ad that CBS rejected during the Super Bowl in 2005 from the United Church of Christ that promoted that organization's inclusion of gays, racial minorities and people with disabilities. CBS put out a statement staying that it was "too controversial" and "unacceptable for broadcast." Not sure how they justify taking the $3 million in this case.

:devil::devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Tebow Super Bowl Ad May Be Based On Falsehood: LINK

Gay dating site's Super Bowl ad rejected by CBS: LINK

#1. If Tim Tebow "the athlete" decides to become Tim Tebow "the political activist," he opens himself up to the variety of critiques, criticisms and scrutiny that anyone who purposely and knowingly takes part in that arena receives.

#2. As mentioned above, CBS has had no problem turning down politically motivated/advocacy ads in the past. Looks like they're doing it again. And looks like their subjectivity only applies to one side of the political spectrum.

PTR

From the reports at the Senior Bowl this week, Tebow may be headed for a Gibran Hamdan like career in the NFL.

So this and 1 more day in April may be the last minutes of Tim Tebow's fame.

I read something today that casts doubt on the Tebow & Mom story. Apparently abortion was illegal in the Phillapines when his mom was pregnant with Tim. So it's not likely a doctor would have recommended an abortion as an option to Mrs. Tebow.

PTR

Tebow is entitled to his beliefs. The US today is SO divided on SO many topics, this is just one of them - and knowing that, given his status (skepticism about how well he'll fit into the NFL) I admire his gumption putting it on the line. Hopefully it's not a publicity play appealing to an anti-abortion owner, but whatever. I'll never doubt his leadership, but I remain unconvinced about his arm.

Better get used to this sort of thing, now that the rules on funding for special interests have been loosened by the SCOTUS. We'll be seeing a lot more of them and will have to learn to tune them out or we'll all go nuts.

Tebow is entitled to his beliefs. The US today is SO divided on SO many topics, this is just one of them - and knowing that, given his status (skepticism about how well he'll fit into the NFL) I admire his gumption putting it on the line. Hopefully it's not a publicity play appealing to an anti-abortion owner, but whatever. I'll never doubt his leadership, but I remain unconvinced about his arm.

Better get used to this sort of thing, now that the rules on funding for special interests have been loosened by the SCOTUS. We'll be seeing a lot more of them and will have to learn to tune them out or we'll all go nuts.

No kidding...welcome to the world of Rollerball.

PTR

I hate these religious zealots. I want to puke everytime they start talking. That is the one benefit to not picking up Frazier, he probably would have been thanking Jesus at every turn just like his mentor. God doesn't invest in the outcome of a game, but nutjobs like TeBow want to praise Jesus at every opportunity. :)

Leave the fairytales to the confines of 4 walls and a roof.

[/quote

I am so sick of people like you bashing Christians at every opportunity. How can someone who doesn't know God profess to know what he invests in? We will thank Jesus when ever we want, regardless of your wish to censor us. Praise Jesus and I thank him for everything.

You're right Simon, I am what I hate, at least in this instance. But I will tell you this: I live in the heart of the Bible belt and have been to church a great deal of my life, nobody understands the Christian faith better than me, nobody. I don't hate God, I hate organized religion and the way it tears the world apart. But hey, as a famous athlete, I would be crucified (pardon the pun), if I stated my views on national TV.............it is the Christian equivalent of playing the "race card". They can say what they want with impunity, whereas a view like mine would be vilified.

I understand the faith better than you do.